Volt Guage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach One, 4 speed.
Hello all. Learning about about my new to me 72 Mach is allot of fun so far. Got allot of little things to fix. For one the Volts guage in the middle of the 3 little guages above the stereo is not working. It stays in the middle with key off or on. Never moves or fluctuates. Is there anyone that fixes factory guages? Not really interested in an aftermarket guage I just want all the stock stuff working. Thanks in advance

My understanding is that that what you refer to as a volt meter is actually an alt meter from the factory…most of those were unreliable and died many years ago.

There is a lot of threads on the site, where guys have replaced all 3 with aftermarket gauges.
I liked the look of the factory gauges, so I had the guts replaced.
Time for a plug…if you like the stock look, is that rocket man classic cougar (a site sponsor), has a service where you send him your broken altmeter and he puts in new “guts” in and makes it a more dependable modern voltmeter.

Many of us here have used his services (including me, with great results)…I also sent my “idiot light” cluster and he put new technology tachs in there.

Hope this helps identifying alts

That ammeter needle will move: turn on headlights, open doors, press brake, push in cigarette lighter and maybe the needle will deflect 1/4 needle's width. The gauge is an analog equivalent of an alternator indicator lamp: it is either off or way to the left or right if something is really bad.
Rocketman (one of this site's sponsors) offers a conversion to a true voltmeter, which is much more valuable than the ammeter in its present form.

My understanding is that that what you refer to as a volt meter is actually an alt meter from the factory…most of those were unreliable and died many years ago.

There is a lot of threads on the site, where guys have replaced all 3 with aftermarket gauges.
I liked the look of the factory gauges, so I had the guts replaced.
Time for a plug…if you like the stock look, is that rocket man classic cougar (a site sponsor), has a service where you send him your broken altmeter and he puts in new “guts” in and makes it a more dependable modern voltmeter.

Many of us here have used his services (including me, with great results)…I also sent my “idiot light” cluster and he put new technology tachs in there.

Hope this helps identifying alts
Thankyou!!!

Back