Rear Speaker Options - concept

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantOv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach1
This may not be everyone's cup of tea but I've thinking of what to do for speakers in my Mach1. I don't think I need something over the top but would like to reasonably augment the door and front dash speakers.

I was thinking of building 'corner' boxes on each side of the trap door but then started thinking about enclosed speakers that I could essentially velcro into these areas (thus non-permanent). Size requirement is approximate 12" tall, 7.5" wide, and 4 1/2" deep at the bottom. The bottom would need to be lifted if it was flush with the floor as to not interfere with the rear seat flip-floor supports. I think 4-6ohm would be ideal as well as outdoor rated but I think I could work around either of them. Ideally I could find something that would fit with 5 1/4" woofers.

I've enclosed a few that i've found. Thoughts on the concept? or suggestions?

I have 8 of the Yamaha's in my garage (592's) and they sound pretty decent in a large area. I'm tempted to go down this route.

Attachments

• Heco.JPG
    Heco.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Yamaha 6ohm.JPG
    Yamaha 6ohm.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 0
  • rock-slim.JPG
    rock-slim.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 0
I will caution you regarding speakers (or anything else) that are not bolted in place. In a front or side collision, they WILL become projectiles. Even a minor accident could have bad consequences if you or a passenger get hit in the head by a flying speaker or other object. I would not trust velcro or other adhesives. Best to figure out a way to bolt them into place. You may have to make some custom bracketry and take advantage of existing Ford hardware to avoid making permanent modifications to the car.

A little L bracket works wonders to hold speakers in place. However, it will need drilling of a panel. It is a balance between safety and not changing an original car. The carpeted panel behind the fold-down seats is a good candidate. Since it is carpeted, it will be hard to notice a small hole if the speakers are removed.

I think ensuring holding down the speakers is a great reminder. No problem with a couple small screw/bolt holes - I'm just working to avoid large speaker cutouts. Looking at enclosed speakers also so the sound can be as designed vs. dependent on the installation cavity.

I'm still weighing options for a slim subwoofer location. Not looking for big booms, but just some modest low end fill. If the seats had more room under them that would be a nice location.

Last edited:
I think ensuring holding down the speakers is a great reminder. No problem with a couple small screw/bolt holes - I'm just working to avoid large speaker cutouts. Looking at enclosed speakers also so the sound can be as designed vs. dependent on the installation cavity.

I'm still weighing options for a slim subwoofer location. Not looking for big booms, but just some modest low end fill. If the seats had more room under them that would be a nice location.
You can add a subwoofer behind the kick panel. See my post on my build thread. This is a low profile subwoofer that no one will figure out where it is.
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/mu...hread-1971-m-mach-1.19381/page-14#post-345617

Your solution is fire! I didn't think it would fit there but perfect!
I think that was one of the slimline subs I was looking at also. I may DM you a few questions when I get closer to the install :) Got to read your posts first and digest them though!

Your solution is fire! I didn't think it would fit there but perfect!
I think that was one of the slimline subs I was looking at also. I may DM you a few questions when I get closer to the install :) Got to read your posts first and digest them though!
It is a tight fit but it works awesome. You will need to adapt some bracketry. I don't remember all I did but definitely had to modify/add a bracket to hold it in place.

PS: I have since converted to a CAA A/C box and there is more space. The issue with the original box is the solenoid that is right there in the way. It doesn't impede the work but makes it more challenging.

I set my rear speakers in place to get an idea what they may look like. Sizewise they couldn't fit better I think. I took pictures of it both directions to see how the rear angle looked with this odd shaped corner type speaker. I took off the grill to see he direction of the speakers better. Last picture is the mounting bracket. It may be cool to have a mustang emblem instead of 'yamaha' on the grill. What are your thoughts about placement options? I'm leaning towards the tweeter in the upper position since it is aimed at above the front headrests. it also keeps an overall lower profile. I may also put some black felt on the side to help it blend in a bit more but that is a minor thing.

Attachments

• IMG20240510115235.jpg
    IMG20240510115235.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG20240510115151.jpg
    IMG20240510115151.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG20240510115119.jpg
    IMG20240510115119.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 1
Back