A/C Capacity

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtjd

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
I have a 1973 Mach I with A/C and doing a rebuild and repair. What is the Freon capacity for the A/C unit? 3lbs.???

I have a 1973 Mach I with A/C and doing a rebuild and repair. What is the Freon capacity for the A/C unit? 3lbs.???
My car shop manual says total charge of 1-3/4lbs of R12 for both York and Tecumseh compressors for 73 Mustang.

-jbojo

If you are running R134 is it still the same?
I thought the same after I responded. I'll try to find out as I am also converting to R-134

Found this on the web:

"A retrofit can be done one of two ways. The first is to follow the vehicle manufacturer recommended retrofit procedure. This generally involves removing all the old mineral oil from the system, replacing the accumulator or receiver/dryer with one that contains X-7 desiccant, replacing O-rings (if required), installing or replacing a high pressure cutout switch (which many shops seem to forget), changing the orifice tube or expansion valve (if required), then adding the specified PAG oil and recharging the system with R134a. On some applications, installing a more efficient condenser may be recommended for improved cooling performance. After the modifications are made, the system is recharged to about 85 to 90% of its original capacity with R134a."

http://www.aa1car.com/library/retrofit.htm

-jbojo

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are converting from the old R12 or even r134 setup. I would recommend looking at Industrial R12A. It is a replacement for R134 and performs a lot better. I'll find the link I order it though tonight.

The stuff I use on a regular basis. Converted multiple vehicles with great success and the AC works better than ever in all of them.

http://autorefrigerants.com/co00033.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
My bad he was asking about recharging with freon(R-12). Actually I have read all of that in the past. All it says is that 12A is not a legal replacement for R-12 unless the system had a proper and complete retrofit to R-134 standards. Do a proper conversion (Evac, Replace Oil and Necessary Components, Label) and R-12A is completely legal whether replacing R-12 or R134.

So, what should I do?

When I put mine back together I plan to replace the lines and rebuild the original compressor. I have a line to some very affordable R12 to charge the system. Should I do that, or go for a R134 changeover when I put her back together?

Thanks for the input.

I still run r12 in my cars. Have some surplus to use up. The price of the gas has dropped 80-90% over the last ten years. It will probably be recycled. But it's cleaned to virgin standards. R134 cools well also, if building from scratch I'd go with 134.

Back