1973 Mercury Monterey Custom

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71Rustang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Boss 302 Trans Am ,race car
Hello everybody.I am looking to build a tow rig for my dragtruck,but I don't want a truck.A friend of mine has a 73 Monterey with a 90K mile 400,2 door and it is a good deal.

My question is has anyone here done some towing with a 70s fullsize Ford,Lincoln,Mercury?

Chris

Given enough time, effort, and money almost anything can be made to work.

The car only makes about 315 lb/ft of torque and about 170 HP (8.0:1 CR). It likely has a 2.75:1 rear gear. The 400 can be altered to make good power but, it takes money and time. The minimum effort to make it work at all would require; Class III hitch, trailer brakes and controller, gear change, the biggest trans cooler you can fit, increased capacity trans pan, cooling system check up/upgrade, brake check up, a good tune up verifying the advance curve isn't something crazy, and at least D rated rear tires. Expect 8 mpg towing. If the car is in nice shape it may be worth buying, fluff and buff, and sell it at a profit to help fund a used 3/4 ton truck. Good luck.

Chuck

As usual, Chuck is right on the money. And as he pointed out - that car was not a powerhouse back in it's best days. Even the 460's back then were heavily choked down on power. Sure you can spend monry to wake them up. But I would consider a pickup. There are many cool reasonably-priced Ford pickup choices for a tow vehicle. Tires, brakes and transmission are my top concerns when towing.

Ihate to admit but I have toasted a transmission on a tow vehicle. NOT FUN.

Heat is the biggest enemy to a transmission, so coolers are a great investment!

Ray

Cool idea to dream about, but it is a bad idea. Brakes are sub par, suspension is unable to handle the tongue weight without modification,, trailer stability will be difficult to obtain, hitch height is going to be a problem and all of that assumes that you upgrade the engine and transmission adequately. And even if you fix all of those issues-visibility will still be very poor.

For a lawn mower trailer yeah-for a car and trailer- get a 3/4 ton truck. The life you save may be mine! ;)

Thank you all so far for opinions and all will be considered.I just want something different.I do love the giant 70 land barges and most if not all of them are bigger than a half ton pickup.

Engine,trans and rearend mods are no problem,same drivetrains used in trucks in the mid to late 70s.Hitch I can build,I do welding and custom fab for a living,and springs and suspension could be sourced from huge wagons or new from eaton spring.

Anybody remember Tommy Ivo in the early and mid 60s criss crossing the country towing his fuel cars using nothing but Cadillacs.

Any and all opinions welcome.

Chris

Heres a pic I have that is the insperation.It will make most of you cringe,but Ivo towed like this for a decade and for tens of thousands of miles a year.

tv12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind doing all of the upgrades and work to make it possible to tow safely, then go ahead. Clearly it can be done. It just is neither cost effective nor does it give you the degree of safety that you get from simply using a 3/4 ton truck. But if you enjoy the work, can spare the money and time and are okay with the limitations that will come from your choices then you should do it.

Hobbies aren't bout always making the best choices overall-just the best ones for you. If this will give you more enjoyment than a ready made tow vehicle than no one should tell you that you are wrong to do it.

Now all of that being said-if you run me over and kill me as a result of these decisions, I will haunt you!

The guys are right again. But some times the heart wants what the heart wants. If you can do the work and make it safe then HELL YEH a giant 70s barge is heaps cooler looking tow car than a ute almost everytime :cool:

9jn86w.jpg
[/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back