Fender mounting bracket for lower right front fender to the body

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code convert., 351C 2V, FMX, 9in., Ram air, Pwr Steering, Pwr Disc brakes, air-conditioning, 15" sport wheels, Ivy Glo w/white deluxe interior.
As I'm moving down the side of the car, I realized I forgot about the mounting point for lower right front fender to the body (rocker panel area). Does anyone have a good picture of this area without the fender attached?

Mine was torn off the car when I removed that fender. I thought I'd treated the rusted bolt assembly with enough "Blaster" since it did loosen to the point of starting to turn. Unfortunately, it stopped turning about halfway out and before I realized it was seized, the air ratchet did its duty and ripped that sucker right out. I ended up with a bolt and mounting tab laying on the ground when finished so, I now need to determine what that area needs as far as a replacement or maybe I can attach a patch tab.

I've been performing a very frustrating search for the last couple hours, both here and on the web, and haven't been able to locate a diagram or picture. Just for reference, it's the right side (passenger) where the fender bolts to the bottom of the car body, right behind the front wheel and in front of the door. I'm guessing this would be considered the rocker panel area too.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't have any pics but I knew I didn't have my fenders mounted so I could easily take some for you. I went to the body shop yesterday morning to work on the car and took a couple pics. The first two are of the passenger side, that mount was smashed into the body and torn. I had to straighten that mounting tab and weld a small piece of metal to fix the tear. Clearly, I must not have thought that I would be showing any one a close up picture of the repair, based on the lack of finishing on the welds, haha. The second two pics are of the drivers side that did not need any repair. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1315.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1315.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail_IMG_1316.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1316.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_1317.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1317.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_1319.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1319.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 0
Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't have any pics but I knew I didn't have my fenders mounted so I could easily take some for you. I went to the body shop yesterday morning to work on the car and took a couple pics. The first two are of the passenger side, that mount was smashed into the body and torn. I had to straighten that mounting tab and weld a small piece of metal to fix the tear. Clearly, I must not have thought that I would be showing any one a close up picture of the repair, based on the lack of finishing on the welds, haha. The second two pics are of the drivers side that did not need any repair. I hope this helps.
Thar she blows! That's exactly what I needed to see. No need to apologize. I was none the worse for wear given I needed to revisit the welds I made the other day. All I can say there is I need to listen to myself more, especially when I'm correct the first time. Trying to clean up the welds in the battery mount was the first mistake and I'll stop there, to avoid sounding like a bigger eggit than I am. I'm certain I'm not the first person to adjust the speed of the MIG wire only to having adjusted the power instead. Let's just say, the aftermath of a Ghostbusters Proton pack was about what it looked like when I finally was able to let go of the trigger. 😭

For the mount, the angle was what I was struggling with in regard to the way it was ripped off and what followed by a further attempt to finish removing the bolt that seized from undissolved rust. I laid there for 10 minutes trying every twist and turn I could to see the puzzle piece fit. I now see I was on the wrong side of the mount, that's just for starters. I also realize I'll need to make a new tab and weld it in place.
Thanks!!!!!

Thar she blows! That's exactly what I needed to see. No need to apologize. I was none the worse for wear given I needed to revisit the welds I made the other day. All I can say there is I need to listen to myself more, especially when I'm correct the first time. Trying to clean up the welds in the battery mount was the first mistake and I'll stop there, to avoid sounding like a bigger eggit than I am. I'm certain I'm not the first person to adjust the speed of the MIG wire only to having adjusted the power instead. Let's just say, the aftermath of a Ghostbusters Proton pack was about what it looked like when I finally was able to let go of the trigger. 😭

For the mount, the angle was what I was struggling with in regard to the way it was ripped off and what followed by a further attempt to finish removing the bolt that seized from undissolved rust. I laid there for 10 minutes trying every twist and turn I could to see the puzzle piece fit. I now see I was on the wrong side of the mount, that's just for starters. I also realize I'll need to make a new tab and weld it in place.
Thanks!!!!!
Haha, I love the proton pack reference, give yourself a break, we all take a little adjustment to get the heat and the wire feed just right. I knew nothing about Mustangs when I started the resto on My 71. All I knew is I had one in high school and college and loved it and wanted another one. When I removed the passenger fender there was only the one bolt holding the bottom on. When I removed the driver's side I realized what was missing, haha. Fortunately most of mine was there just pushed up tight in to the body. Once I straightened it, there was about 1/4 inch missing, so I welded in a small piece of metal. I almost forgot I did that until I read your post. I have been working on my resto for about 2 1/2 years now. I jsut laid the last coats of the color coat on the last parts yesterday. Now I just need to spray the lower body and hood blackout and I can assemble it and possibly drive it. I bought it 2 1/2 years ago with no engine, so it will be for the first time ever, other than a couple small test drives partially assembled, I can't wait. Good luck with your car! :D

In a complete "der de der" moment, why didn't I think of just looking at the driver's side. Just the passenger's side in reverse.

I think I've been breathing in too much argon gas. If anyone is looking for me, I'll be in the first floor getting ready to jump. I figure, 1 or 10, the older you get the smaller number of floors you need to climb.

By the way, as I'm looking at the tab and how that area seems to appear as if it's been previously mangled, it might not have taken much to sheer it off. That's probably why the air ratchet didn't make me do an awe scheiße when it happened. .

I find myself in the same situation. The Fender bolt is rusted into the mounting tab (driver's side fender mounting tab nearest to the wheel well)

What is the move here ? Fabricate a new tab/hole and weld it on, or is there a replacement L bracket w/ Tab that can easily welded up , and cut this old one off ?

Thanks

tab_driver.jpg

Back