’71 Mach 1 Resto Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was the response, I was hoping for because everyone was saying that they didn't believe I would paint it white and not flip-flop again to Grabber Blue. I thought I would roll with the GB story, haha. :D

Last edited:
That was the response, I was hoping for because everyone was saying that they didn't believe I would paint it white and not flip-flop again to Grabber Blue. I thought I would roll with the GB story, haha. :D
Or you could paint it like a Sprint , WW with Grabber Blue 😳

Attachments

• D5B29815-4A22-4F0F-A213-237A22086F23.jpeg
    D5B29815-4A22-4F0F-A213-237A22086F23.jpeg
    582 KB · Views: 0
Thank you, that would be great if you wouldn't mind. I am trying to get everything as correct as I can, just so it looks right at car shows.

I think I am the only guy I know who would want to make sure the accents are correct on the car that is completely wrong by design, haha.

I changed the color, changed the interior color, installed a built M code engine in an H code car, added a tach, console, roll down quarter windows, front and rear spoilers, basically up-optioned the crap out of it. I wanted it to be what I would have ordered back in '71 if I wasn't six years old at the time. I am trying to restore it to look correct, as best I can. I do not to wish to misrepresent the car, but just to make it look right.

I ordered a new ID decal from Marti for the drivers door with all of the correct original information on it. I will get a personal chuckle out of applying the decal that will clearly document that it is a green H code car with a green interior originally, on the new Wimbledon White paint of a car with a built M code with a black interior and all kinds of other "wrong" stuff. I figure that way if it ever gets sold, the prospective new owner will be able to see it is a color changed, non-original car, because I won't be there to tell them, and there is not a spec of original paint on the vehicle. Also, I'll be six feet under and sadly my wife won't know it makes a difference, haha.:)
Not sure if this is what you are looking for

Attachments

• P1010001 (1).JPG
    P1010001 (1).JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010002 (2).JPG
    P1010002 (2).JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010003 (1).JPG
    P1010003 (1).JPG
    336.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    386.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    388.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    379 KB · Views: 0
I got to the body shop for a couple hours yesterday morning and painted the Wimbledon White base and clear on the rest of the parts that needed to be painted white. I wasn't sure that I had enough base left over from what I mixed last week to be able to get three good coats on all of the remaining parts. My first thought was to be cheap and go thin on the hood under the blackout area to save base coat, but decided I needed to do it right and just mix a few more parts of paint.

This brings the grand total to 3 1/4 gallons of base used to paint all of the sheet metal in and out with three good coats of base. These old gals are a lot thicker than they look, there's a lot of square footage to cover there. I just thought "the fricking hood alone is six feet long alone, no way I have enough paint" (except I didn't say fricking, lol). I was right, I would have run out if I hadn't mixed more. That would have been unfortunate, if I had to mix extra for the final color coat and then hope it matched the original paint mixed. Although it is the easiest paint formula I have ever mixed, (white base, 3g of black, 6g of red/orange and voila) I still didn't want to take any chances. I used the freshly mixed paint for the first coat and then I used the paint I mixed up last week with all of the other paint on the second and third coats to make sure paint matched the rest of the panels.

I wasn't able to move the parts off of the prep station and clean up yesterday, because the prep station can't really bake it like you can in the spray booth. I will still need to go back some time today and unmask and move the panels off of the prep station and sweep and clean up. I will post more pics of the panels unmasked after I do that.

Now that everything that is supposed to be white is white (I hope), I can install and align the doors and fenders over the next couple of weeks and then back in to the spray boot to paint the black on the bottom of the car and the front and rear valences. The hood black out will also need to be sprayed eventually. Depending on how long it takes to measure and lay out the stencil and then re-measure, twice, to make sure it is in the right place, I could probably knock that out on one of the Saturdays early. If it goes smoothly, I could then work on the doors and fenders, we will see how that all plays out. I was originally hoping to be done by this weekend, as next weekend is Memorial Day and the "official" start of summer. It will be hard to get time to go to the body shop then, my wife and I try to fill the weekends up pretty quick all summer with non-Mustang stuff.

I am going to try and squeeze out as much Mustang time in the next few week as I can, without pushing any limits. Hopefully I will be driving it by late June/July. The interior won't be completed but it should be a street legal car by then. After spending too many hours over Mother's day weekend (not actually Mother's Day,, but all day Saturday) painting the body panels, I have ruffled some feathers, the feathers that I prefer to stay un-ruffled, haha. I am going to lay a little low for the next few weeks and as they say, keep my ass low and try not get it shot off, lol. 🤞

Mach 1 879.jpgMach 1 881.jpgMach 1 882.jpgMach 1 883.jpgMach 1 885.jpgMach 1 886.jpgMach 1 887.jpgMach 1 888.jpgMach 1 890.jpg
my

I got to the body shop for a couple hours yesterday morning and painted the Wimbledon White base and clear on the rest of the parts that needed to be painted white. I wasn't sure that I had enough base left over from what I mixed last week to be able to get three good coats on all of the remaining parts. My first thought was to be cheap and go thin on the hood under the blackout area to save base coat, but decided I needed to do it right and just mix a few more parts of paint.

This brings the grand total to 3 1/4 gallons of base used to paint all of the sheet metal in and out with three good coats of base. These old gals are a lot thicker than they look, there's a lot of square footage to cover there. I just thought "the fricking hood alone is six feet long alone, no way I have enough paint" (except I didn't say fricking, lol). I was right, I would have run out if I hadn't mixed more. That would have been unfortunate, if I had to mix extra for the final color coat and then hope it matched the original paint mixed. Although it is the easiest paint formula I have ever mixed, (white base, 3g of black, 6g of red/orange and voila) I still didn't want to take any chances. I used the freshly mixed paint for the first coat and then I used the paint I mixed up last week with all of the other paint on the second and third coats to make sure paint matched the rest of the panels.

I wasn't able to move the parts off of the prep station and clean up yesterday, because the prep station can't really bake it like you can in the spray booth. I will still need to go back some time today and unmask and move the panels off of the prep station and sweep and clean up. I will post more pics of the panels unmasked after I do that.

Now that everything that is supposed to be white is white (I hope), I can install and align the doors and fenders over the next couple of weeks and then back in to the spray boot to paint the black on the bottom of the car and the front and rear valences. The hood black out will also need to be sprayed eventually. Depending on how long it takes to measure and lay out the stencil and then re-measure, twice, to make sure it is in the right place, I could probably knock that out on one of the Saturdays early. If it goes smoothly, I could then work on the doors and fenders, we will see how that all plays out. I was originally hoping to be done by this weekend, as next weekend is Memorial Day and the "official" start of summer. It will be hard to get time to go to the body shop then, my wife and I try to fill the weekends up pretty quick all summer with non-Mustang stuff.

I am going to try and squeeze out as much Mustang time in the next few week as I can, without pushing any limits. Hopefully I will be driving it by late June/July. The interior won't be completed but it should be a street legal car by then. After spending too many hours over Mother's day weekend (not actually Mother's Day,, but all day Saturday) painting the body panels, I have ruffled some feathers, the feathers that I prefer to stay un-ruffled, haha. I am going to lay a little low for the next few weeks and as they say, keep my ass low and try not get it shot off, lol. 🤞

View attachment 88851View attachment 88852View attachment 88853View attachment 88854View attachment 88855View attachment 88856View attachment 88857View attachment 88858View attachment 88859
my
Looks great! Chuck

Back