Austrailian heads project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I know I'm not ready yet to assemble the heads, and finish the long block, I thought I'd show you the valve covers. Nothing really new here, a set of Ansen finned valve covers, made to look like the factory finned valve covers. Not a lot of people go all the way by adding the factory spark plug wire tab to the aftermarket covers. I did, it's really easy to mill down a few fins in the proper location. I used my Dremel Tool with a mill drum to take a few fins down to the surface. I got the tabs from NPD, polished off the tops of the fins using a sanding block because the covers had fin tops "as cast", added the correct decal and pcv/oil cap. I have a factory set of stamped steel covers with the oil dripper fingers, but I figured I'd dress up the finished engine with a few details.
I really like what you did with the valve covers. Looks like I will have to do that also with my rebuild. Where did you buy the Glyptal as I should use some also. Thx.

Nicely done! Everything looks great and from your description, it should work very well. I am sure you are excited about getting it installed and going for a first drive, I know I would be. Looking at the intake manifold, I think it will work great in your setup. I really like those valve covers, they look awesome.

Hi Spike,
Your project is spotless, very very nice! I just started a similar project with my 71 Mach1. I'm upgrading my 351C 2v to a 4V. I just bought a pair of D1AE -GA cores from Valley Head Service. The actual work will take place after the summer as I accumulate parts throughout the coming months.
BTW, Geno and Rueben said to say "Hello". I am related to the Ofria's through a marriage.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0 (1).jpg
    imagejpeg_0 (1).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_0 (2).jpg
    imagejpeg_0 (2).jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_0 (3).jpg
    imagejpeg_0 (3).jpg
  • imagejpeg_0 (4).jpg
    imagejpeg_0 (4).jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_0 (5).jpg
    imagejpeg_0 (5).jpg
  • imagejpeg_0 (6).jpg
    imagejpeg_0 (6).jpg
  • imagejpeg_0 (7).jpg
    imagejpeg_0 (7).jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_0 (8).jpg
    imagejpeg_0 (8).jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Chuck and Tony. My intent is not really for big power ,....though power is always nice. Mostly I wanted to improve on the oiling a bit, have more efficient chambers, and improve longitivity. The way I drive, like an old Grandmother, it should be my last build, as the engine that's in it has been going 20 years, still pretty good. Yes, I dressed it up a tad with valve covers, intake , aftermarket ignition. When I'm done, I'll still have the original engine , running, complete, in storage. Charlie, Ruben is the gold standard when it comes to cyl head work , for sure, his work is clean and precise, and he's sure been doing it long enough to know. I did all the engine assembly for Valley head Service for 13 years, worked along with Alex and Ruben, good guys.

Last edited:
I really like what you did with the valve covers. Looks like I will have to do that also with my rebuild. Where did you buy the Glyptal as I should use some also. Thx.
I got it from Eastwood, but I think you can Google them and buy direct, or from many other sources.

The current engine is stock, and as such, has the stock 5/16" bolted down, fixed position, "sled type" pivoted rockers, and stock pushrods. Nothing wrong with that, they've taken me thousands of miles with no issues. However, since I've got access to machine shop work, it was a no brainer to go to adjustable valve train. So the rockers I will use will be ball pivoted, and utilize hardened pushrods with those guide plates. Nothing too fancy, I think the Comp Magnum roller tipped set should do. I haven't read anyone having issues with them, and my springs aren't too stiff for their usage. I still have an extra set of "dripper finger" factory valve covers, I also want to check if they will fit as well, after the screw-in stud mod. I like the idea of additional rocker pivot lubrication, as did the factory.

Back