’71 Mach 1 Resto Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure do like both the Grabber Blue, and the Wimbledon White. It's very cool to see people's project cars get to the painting stage of reconstruction. It's such a big step, when it's your car. Love all the photos.

I sure do like both the Grabber Blue, and the Wimbledon White. It's very cool to see people's project cars get to the painting stage of reconstruction. It's such a big step, when it's your car. Love all the photos.
Thanks I agree it is a huge step that I have been looking forward to for quite a while, now I just can't wait to start reassembling it.

Last edited:
Actually it is Wimbledon White, I just posted some of @revsitup's paint booth pics to see if anyone said anything. Considering how I flip flopped back and forth on the the two colors I thought I would post some pics of his gorgeous Grabber Blue Mach in the booth as a joke to see if anyone noticed the color change.
I was going to call you on that. I was hoping to repaint mine grabber blue myself, but I'm starting to think of selling as I'm not sure I will ever have the time. I will have to live through you. Nice to see it getting to this point.

Actually it is Wimbledon White, I just posted some of @revsitup's paint booth pics to see if anyone said anything. Considering how I flip flopped back and forth on the the two colors I thought I would post some pics of his gorgeous Grabber Blue Mach in the booth as a joke to see if anyone noticed the color change.
LOOKS GREAT!!

Attachments

• 73 Mach1.jpg
    73 Mach1.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 0
I was going to call you on that. I was hoping to repaint mine grabber blue myself, but I'm starting to think of selling as I'm not sure I will ever have the time. I will have to live through you. Nice to see it getting to this point.
Thank you

Lol! You had us there with the GB pics! It really looks outstanding. Don't forget to paint the black on the inside the hood near the wipers when you get around to the black. Many restored Mach 1's miss this detail.
Thank you! Haha, I was hoping to play off of the fact that I kept flip-flopping on the color over the progress of this build. @revsitup was kind enough to email me a couple pics of his GB car in the booth to use in my ruse. I appreciate the insight on the black out treatment under the hood, I am hoping to be able to dust that in when I paint the blackout on the hood. I was thinking that I should be able to position the hood on the horse so I can spray the back edge underneath when I paint the stenciled area on the top of the hood. Although, I still need to research about how far that black out goes and how and where did they cut it off. Did they mask anything and if there were any mask lines or if they just sprayed what they sprayed and every car was a little different. I am hoping that will work out well when I get to that. 🤞

Last edited:
I did actually have the car in the booth this weekend, though. I got most of the sheet metal painted the Wimbledon White base and clear coated. I will still need to paint the top of the hood, the marker lamp bezels, and the door and trunk hinge bolts white yet. Then I will need to get the car assembled and doors and fenders aligned and then paint the satin black on the bottom of the car and in the center of the hood. I will also need to paint the front and rear valence with the satin black. I still need to get back around to the front bumper. It has a low spot on the top where it was dented down slightly. I still haven't decided the best way to handle that so it got placed on the back burner for a bit.
Otherwise I am pretty happy with the way the real paint job on my actual car came out. Maybe not quite as nice as @revsitup's Grabber Blue car but it has a nice shine for a white car. I do so love that Wimbledon White. I think it will look great once it cures up and I wet sand and buff it.

Here are some pics of it in the booth on Saturday:

View attachment 88652View attachment 88653View attachment 88654View attachment 88655

Here are the individual panels after paint:

View attachment 88656View attachment 88657View attachment 88658View attachment 88659View attachment 88660View attachment 88661

A few more panel pics:

View attachment 88663View attachment 88664
View attachment 88666View attachment 88667View attachment 88668

I did a lot of prep and spraying this weekend, I sprayed gallons of white and clear. I will probably feel it tomorrow but the panels and the body all turned out pretty well, I think. I am just happy to see it in color, I wasn't sure that day was ever coming for a while there. :D

View attachment 88665
Awesome to see you have it in color! The white looks great! Looking at your pics reminds how much work and effort it takes to get to this point but it will be well worth it when done! Your doing a fantastic job and the paint and body work look top notch.
Keep posting your progress here it’s nice to see
Brent

Awesome to see you have it in color! The white looks great! Looking at your pics reminds how much work and effort it takes to get to this point but it will be well worth it when done! Your doing a fantastic job and the paint and body work look top notch.
Keep posting your progress here it’s nice to see
Brent
Thank you! It was feels great to finally see it in color! It's been a long road but so worth it now that it is painted. Cant wait to add the black on the bottom of the car and hood.

Latest posts

Back