• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Beginnings 72 Coupe Resto
#11
I have an a/c car running the original a/c-heater box so I only blocked off the driver side. If I would have known, I would have taken that bowl right off. One less place for debris or mice to make a home.

[Image: Stang1.jpg]
  Reply
#12
Hi Mick
Congratulations on the progress and excellent workmanship on the project so far. I too found clearance problems with the LH (passenger side for some) wiper arms and the plenum air intake. Best to sort that prior to welding the top on. I fitted XB Falcon fresh air ducts and heater to EL Grandé but we do not need air cond all year round down here. I don't have air cond at all so the fresh air vents really help. I would love to see to see photos of the RRS rack fitment when completed. Do you have know which exhaust extractor/header will fit with the rack?
  Reply
#13
(03-17-2017, 03:37 AM)Len van Rossum Wrote: Hi Mick
Congratulations on the progress and excellent workmanship on the project so far.  I too found clearance problems with the LH (passenger side for some) wiper arms and the plenum air intake.  Best to sort that prior to welding the top on.  I fitted XB Falcon fresh air ducts and heater to EL Grandé but we do not need air cond all year round down here.  I don't have air cond at all so the fresh air vents really help.  I would love to see to see photos of the RRS rack fitment when completed. Do you have know which exhaust extractor/header will fit with the rack?

Hi Len
Haven't checked this thread for a while been busy
Yes I found out thanks to computercarguy and moved the bowl cover underneath
I will post some photos of the rack hopefully in a few weeks as I have removed it getting ready to work on the engine bay
Easy fit and just need to drill a few holes
From what RRS tell me so far headers shouldn't be an issue but I'm a long way off from that
Perhaps large diameter 4 into 1 headers might have an issue but nothing a hammer/welder couldn't fix!
  Reply
#14
Starting to make some progress now. Finally got the floors done and primed with Interguard 269 red plus the firewall/cowl area.
I replaced the rear floor extensions with repro early 66-70 ones and only needed to tweak a couple of ribs.
Next will be getting the engine bay blasted/painted then I can put the dash, steering column, rack and wiring in.
New Old Air RHD air con kit is on its way so will also fit this.
Tomorrow I'm getting a disc brake rear end from a 1998 Falcon and will adapt this to the 9 inch rear including using the floor mounted hand brake.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
                           
  Reply
#15
Some more progress on the coupe

Looked at dustless blasting as an alternative but once I spoke to our local dustless blaster he strongly suggested to dry blast it using glass beads. Reason being with the dustless wet blasting it would leave a wet residue which would get into various nooks and crannies and would be difficult to remove and perhaps cause rust issues further down the track.
As I only wanted engine bay, door jambs and luggage compartment done I took his advice.

Basically for anyone considering dustless blasting it is best for outer panels but not as good for areas where residue will be hard to remove in other words with the dry blasting it is easy to blow the residue away.
Another tip he gave is not to blast all areas underneath the hood or trunk lid i.e. don't blast any of the skin part only the ribs etc as the pressure can lift the skin above the ribs.

Anyway some pics below and hopefully get some bright red color on it next weekend

Oh and you might notice the trunk floor looks odd, PO has patched over the rusty floor which is a bit slack however for now I will tidy it up and replace the drop offs - new floor pan approx $100 USD but a whopping $380 USD shipping ouch!


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
                       
  Reply
#16
The weather held out today so I got some color on the engine bay. Color is original Bright Red using Baslac single stage urethane.
Will do the rad support and chassis area in black hopefully tomorrow. Good to finally see some color going on but still a long way to go.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
  Reply
#17
looking good!!

- Mike
  Reply
#18
Engine bay painting finished, now I can work on the steering, brakes and wiring etc.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
  Reply
#19
Looks great! I really like where you have painted it black, nice detail! Smile

Daniel thumb

Pro-Touring 1973 Mustang named ''Creator'' ... Tongue
Under construction!!
  Reply
#20
(05-17-2017, 12:36 PM)protouringstang73 Wrote: Looks great! I really like where you have painted it black, nice detail! Smile

Thanks, took over an hour to mask it up and 5 minutes to spray paint.
  Reply
Share Thread:  


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  73 Coupe JRANGER 63 3,534 2 hours ago
Last Post: Fabrice
  Slowest resto ever - Project AmsterFoose Vinnie 22 607 02-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Last Post: detritusmaximus
  72 Grandé Coupe project, starting Fall 2017! vikingsandpintos 15 2,175 08-12-2018, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Boss1Ray
runninpony 71 Coupe 460/T56 Jkelchner4 25 3,214 05-24-2018, 05:00 AM
Last Post: TommyK
  73 Coupe - SA Edition shaheenk 2 711 01-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: rackerm
  1973 Mustang Coupe to Convertible Conversion M Beauchamp 34 17,121 11-22-2017, 06:37 AM
Last Post: NOT A T5
  more pics of the progress of the coupe pedstagn71 60 9,284 07-21-2017, 12:31 AM
Last Post: mach71351c
  1971 Coupe resto-mod mustaguar 103 21,453 01-07-2017, 05:00 AM
Last Post: mustaguar



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)