• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1973 Mustang Convertible Restoration and Modification
#1
Wrench 
In this blog I will document the restoration and modification of my 1973 Mustang convertible with a 351C 2V (351 Cleveland with 2 bbl carburetor).

I'll create the skeleton framework of the blog, and then add text and explanatory photos.


.jpg   Engine 9-15-10 (Small).JPG (Size: 64.03 KB / Downloads: 400)

Picture of the engine on September 15, 2010, before beginning restoration.


.jpg   Engine compartment wiith hood off (Small).JPG (Size: 67 KB / Downloads: 376)

First step was to remove the hood, with the help of a friend. I marked the hinge locations with pencil to facilitate alignment later. I put a big sleeping bag on the roof and set it up there, since I don't have much room in my garage. I checked it for stability, and it shouldn't go anywhere.


.jpg   Engine Before 1 (Small).JPG (Size: 66.79 KB / Downloads: 364)

Next, I drained the radiator and removed the radiator hoses and radiator.


.jpg   Heater Hose diaphragm (Small).JPG (Size: 57.27 KB / Downloads: 348)


.jpg   Heater Hose connection (Small).JPG (Size: 62.55 KB / Downloads: 342)


.jpg   Engine beginning rebuild 2 (Small).JPG (Size: 38.84 KB / Downloads: 363)


.jpg   Heater hose coupling alone (Small).JPG (Size: 42.93 KB / Downloads: 341)

I then removed the heater hoses. Since I'm going to replace them, it was easiest to just split the ends with a knife and pry them off with a flathead screwdriver.


.jpg   Battery wiring (Small).JPG (Size: 61.85 KB / Downloads: 354)


.jpg   Solenoid Wiring (Small).JPG (Size: 77.73 KB / Downloads: 360)

I snapped a couple pics of the wiring and then removed the battery, followed by the battery tray.


.jpg   Under battery tray (Small).JPG (Size: 71.32 KB / Downloads: 342)

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
  Reply
#2
Looking forward to your ongoing documentation! Keep us posted!

[Image: rocketfoot2012-copy.png]
1971 Mach 1 - 306cid/C4 Bright Yellow
"Just relax, I've got a friend named Felix who can fix anything!" ~James Bond
  Reply
#3
Good work Doc
  Reply
#4
(12-29-2010, 08:10 PM)rocketfoot Wrote: Looking forward to your ongoing documentation! Keep us posted!

Thanks! I'll be working with Barry to determine the best way to chronologically document the work. Smile

Doc

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
  Reply
#5
(12-29-2010, 07:23 PM)73vertproject Wrote: In this blog I will document the restoration and modification of my 1973 Mustang convertible with a 351C 2V (351 Cleveland with 2 bbl carburetor).

I'll create the skeleton framework of the blog, and then add text and explanatory photos.



Picture of the engine on September 15, 2010, before beginning restoration.



First step was to remove the hood, with the help of a friend. I marked the hinge locations with pencil to facilitate alignment later. I put a big sleeping bag on the roof and set it up there, since I don't have much room in my garage. I checked it for stability, and it shouldn't go anywhere.



Next, I drained the radiator and removed the radiator hoses and radiator.









I then removed the heater hoses. Since I'm going to replace them, it was easiest to just split the ends with a knife and pry them off with a flathead screwdriver.





I snapped a couple pics of the wiring and then removed the battery, followed by the battery tray.
All in all Doc your engine bay looks nice and solid. Mike
  Reply
#6

.jpg   Battery tray removed (Small).JPG (Size: 67.55 KB / Downloads: 259)


.jpg   Battery Tray Top View (Small).JPG (Size: 69.02 KB / Downloads: 259)


.jpg   Battery Tray Cleanup (Small).JPG (Size: 65.8 KB / Downloads: 259)

The battery tray area had a lot of rust, but was structurally sound. I cleaned up the tray itself with a wire brush (manual and cordless drill) with decent results. I can see it will just take time and elbow grease.

Doc

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
  Reply
#7
Makin progress
  Reply
#8
Keep up the good work Doc.

Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers.
  Reply
#9
Dang Doc you have become a regular computer guru on us.Big Grin
  Reply
#10
(12-31-2010, 08:18 PM)Tnfastbk Wrote: Dang Doc you have become a regular computer guru on us.Big Grin

LOL! Actually, I whined to Barry about the difficulty I was having with documenting my project, so he came up with the fix. He is, indeed, a computer guru! Thanks, Barry!

Doc

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
  Reply
Share Thread:  


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My 1973 Grandé A.Nilsson 19 944 05-23-2020, 05:56 PM
Last Post: A.Nilsson
  1972 Q code convertible one of 330 built starts. Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs 3 200 05-18-2020, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs
  1973 "Pro-Touring" project - Creator protouringstang73 589 60,012 05-17-2020, 03:46 PM
Last Post: protouringstang73
  71 Grabber Green Metallic M code convertible Richard Verco 41 2,685 05-12-2020, 08:09 AM
Last Post: ishorype
  1972 Q Code Convertible Dark Horse 11 720 04-28-2020, 11:14 AM
Last Post: jeff8877



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)