• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIG DISAPPOINTMENT
Was checking craigslist yesterday morning when I came accross this
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/2972139566.html
Thought I hit pay dirt ! Car looks really nice..price is ok..I figured I'd buy it & drive till mine is finished..then sell..Call owner..say's it's all original no rust in floors car is mint ! I drive over..pull in..Car looks ok..Start looking deeper..rear qtrs replaced..rear body panel replaced..all not done that good..swiss cheese on the bottom of the right door just painted over..rust in the left door..painted over..gobs of seam sealer silicone in the cowl to repair the holes..rust on both upper fender aprons just bondoed over..a bunch of sheet metal screws poking thru the floor on both sides..flex pipe used as the rear exhaust pipes from the mufflers over the axle. door panels screwed on with a bunch of screws along the bottom ...Needs all new weatherstripping & seals (some were missing)..rust just filled in with bondo in the otr pillars.. I stopped there.. SHOW WINNER Huh
My Camaro is a show winner..this car is not even close !!! The guy was nice enough not sure if he really knew how much work the car really needed. So I start talking & seeing where he's at price wise..I'm thinking I'd go 5 tops..He says he's firm..So he asks what I think he can get..I didn't want to insult him & knew I'd be walking away on this..So to be nice I tell him you'd be lucky to get 8 & it would have to be someone who has no clue what there looking at..He say's no way he's taking 8..I leave my name & number & tell him if he doesn't get his # give me a ring.. What a bummer..I was ready to give the asking price on the spot if it checked out..

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART
Unfortunately that story happens a lot. People think they can do a quick fluff and buff and make lots of cash. Ruins the hobby for the rest of us and somebody is going to get ripped off. We've looked for a clean car for a long time and finally settled on an unrestored original car. Rebuilding everything and going thru rust repair but we will know exactly what we have in the end. It has to be a love of the car and dedication of blood, sweat and tears and you usually won't recoup the $ you have in a project when you sell it, if you sell it.
Lots of red flags in that ad. Leather seats, 'posi', big tach on the column...

'Mike'
73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in:
RacerX;66087 Wrote:Unfortunately that story happens a lot. People think they can do a quick fluff and buff and make lots of cash. Ruins the hobby for the rest of us and somebody is going to get ripped off. We've looked for a clean car for a long time and finally settled on an unrestored original car. Rebuilding everything and going thru rust repair but we will know exactly what we have in the end. It has to be a love of the car and dedication of blood, sweat and tears and you usually won't recoup the $ you have in a project when you sell it, if you sell it.
Exactly..which is way I keep plugging along on mine..I wasn't even looking for a car but saw this..was close to my home..& worth a shot..You never know whats out there or what you may stumble upon.

will e;66093 Wrote:Lots of red flags in that ad. Leather seats, 'posi', big tach on the column...
Yes sir..I had a feeling..But was worth a shot..

Buyer beware. Great post Scott.

Because of your advice, posts, videos and willingness to help, we have all become much more edumacated when it comes to finding a really great car! Almost like a "what to look for" guide...

+1 from me. Thanks again! This PEEP salutes! Not sure what that would look like (PEEP SALUTE) - sounds kinda strange now but anyway, I digress------- LOL

Ray

1971 Boss 351  
1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 
1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 
1973 Mach 1 (parts car)
Just goes to show you how pictures can be deceiving as it does look good in the pics. You really need to check a car out in person.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony

Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

[Image: 20180127_082009.jpg]

upload a photo on internet

I looked at the pictures first and then read your post then looked at the pictures again.

It does look good in the pictures.

[Image: 1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png]

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy
Unfortunately that sort of thing has happened a lot to me in the past, especially with the climate here in the UK and the awkwardness of locating parts. Although buying parts and locating parts through the net has made things easier.

A lot of cars that have had a chequered or outside history fall foul to needing lots of welding and some owners that aren't as enthusiastic will weld a car, or fix up with anything.

I once restored a 69 390 Mach1, when I purchased it and got to work I undone around 10 bolts holding Angle Iron together in the trunk and the back end fell apart.

It was a pleasure bringing her back to life though.
Don't get me wrong The car had lots of potential for someone looking to redo make the car right..The frame was solid as were the shock towers.. From the pictures speaking to the owner I thought was going to see a show car that needed very little..A car I could clean up a bit do a few minor things & drive for the summer..I didn't even drive it & I bet it was a rattle trap that needed everything in the suspension too ! At 12,500.00 I would have to put another 10-15 if not more into it to bring it up to where it should be..Plus the time factor..Just not worth 12,500 as it sits..Nor was it something I wanted to get involved in at that number..

That happened to me also on ebay. I won the auction for a one owner 71 mach $8900. I flew to pay for the car which had simlar discription, so I thought I won a great car all street ready. New interior upgraded wiring, alway garaged and never driven in salted winters. Got there and looked great till I started checking deeper. New carpet and all new door panels seats etc. But no seat belts? pulled back the carpet to see 1/2 floors pand gone. His upgraded wiring had multi colored wire with splices about every 12 inches. Told never driven in rain but open trunk and it was full of water. He just said I washed it before you came. Offered $5000 and for him to pay shipping for wasting my time to fly out. Price was firm. Got a call from ebayer also bidding and I told him what I saw. Two weeks later he bought the car for $3500 and free shipping. Glad it only cost me $400 instead of losing $8900+shipping.

Alan L

[Image: 1_30_09_13_10_12_32.png]
Alan L
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a big congratulations to RACKERM delawarebill 17 1,427 06-06-2017, 06:58 PM
Last Post: rackerm
  Big Asking Price For a '73 Mach 1 Austin Vert 10 1,105 08-30-2016, 06:43 PM
Last Post: 72HCODE
runninpony Big Money on the BIG BAD BOSS! Austin Vert 11 1,328 08-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Last Post: 3k73
  Big money problems from the UK Thin Lizzy 10 1,047 07-10-2016, 04:42 AM
Last Post: 4Vforever
Keys Big Aussie Asking money for a '71 Boss Austin Vert 13 1,316 06-24-2016, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Mister 4x4
  Austin Vert - Big Selling Price For a Mach 1. Austin Vert 16 1,521 05-26-2016, 09:59 PM
Last Post: scarpent1
  Big Block or Small Block goodnigh 27 3,622 10-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Mustangfeverrr
  big block vert found in Mass. mrmach1 9 2,926 05-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Last Post: mrmach1