• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
urethane bumper question
How hard are these bumpers to fix?

What kind of filler, if any, whould be used on them?

I have 2 of these bumpers and im looking to use a fiberglass one that i have on order as a last resort.

I have low and high spots, specifically around where the small cracks are in the rubber.

I know OEM would be the way to go, im just confused on what to do next.

Here is a pic of a bumper that i may try. It has been repainted obviously and the seller told me its in great shape. Does anyone see anything i dont or could there be something hidden benieth the paint?

What are the good the bad and the ugly about these bumpers?
I need to know what to look for, is it worth trying to save, how do i prevent the paint from cracking the paint? Or should i just go fiberglass and be done with this project once and for all?

What have you all experianced with them?

[Image: 6ohs84.jpg]

"Do it once, do it right!"
There is a website called mustangmonthly. You go there and go to how to. from there go to page 10 it will be the 6th one from the top
Is the metal that goes behind this in good shape? These are not that hard to repair, as there are several threads on here showing the repairs. If you decide you are going with the glass one and the metal is in good shape I would be interested in buying it. That is once you make your mind up. Personally I would repair the urethane one.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/search.php?a...order=desc
Yes, actually the one i have, the metal is even better shape. Im having it looked at today and will keep you posted

"Do it once, do it right!"
Tnfastbk;65319 Wrote:Is the metal that goes behind this in good shape? These are not that hard to repair, as there are several threads on here showing the repairs. If you decide you are going with the glass one and the metal is in good shape I would be interested in buying it. That is once you make your mind up. Personally I would repair the urethane one.

Tennessee- I have a bumper that is in fairly good shape That I would sell, if you are interested you can PM me- Thanks Dennis
Is the 71 Mach1 bumper urethane or rubber? Mine appearts to be thick rubber molded onto a heavy metal frame, I think of urethane as a removal bumper cover like on modern cars...or maybe my urethane cover was removed at some time and there's rubber supposed to be under it? In any case I redid min using the method others have outlined. It had several small cracks in the dried rubber, I then repainted it hotrod black rather than body color for the black out effect, also same with exterior mirrors. It's not perfect but it looks much better than it did and I like the black bumper better than matching red color.    

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear
That bumper painted black looks good on that mustang.

[Image: 20r9ylt.jpg]
427heaven;65340 Wrote:
Tnfastbk;65319 Wrote:Is the metal that goes behind this in good shape? These are not that hard to repair, as there are several threads on here showing the repairs. If you decide you are going with the glass one and the metal is in good shape I would be interested in buying it. That is once you make your mind up. Personally I would repair the urethane one.

Tennessee- I have a bumper that is in fairly good shape That I would sell, if you are interested you can PM me- Thanks Dennis

I really dont NEED a bumper but if he was going another route and the metal was good I thought I would have it to hold onto just in case.
Nance;65347 Wrote:That bumper painted black looks good on that mustang.

Thanks, it was "partly" due to economics, a $10.00 rattle can of hotrod black after I repaired the weather cracks, or take it to a paint shop and have them try and match the body color! Plus if my repair job needs patching at a later date, it's just another $10.00 rattle can.

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear
I thought of doing that on my car using a black rubberized undercoating on the theory that as the rubber/urethane under it could flex, then the top coat should be able to as well. I am currently testing the undercoating to see how it holds up to sunlight with a 4" square section painted on a scrap of metal and sitting on my deck.

[Image: 1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png]

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1972 Mustang Seay belt question. One72mustangdude 6 192 08-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Last Post: One72mustangdude
  Gauge replacement question. Shipwright 17 713 05-17-2018, 02:30 PM
Last Post: midlife
  71 -72 Chrome Bumper on my 73 rocket366 32 3,062 05-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Studdley
  Rear Bumper Twins 28 1,195 04-27-2018, 03:10 AM
Last Post: stormy69
  Anyone Paint Their Rear Bumper 1973machi 14 1,626 04-19-2018, 11:55 AM