• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Engine Building Screw Up
Provide one or two of the biggest screw ups you made when rebuilding an engine.

Mine were fairly minor in that I just laid the valve covers on the heads because I wanted to peak under them to make sure I was getting oil to all of the rockers. When I started the motor, the valve covers slid off the heads and I was squirting oil every which way. But, at least I DID have oil.

[Image: 11jmcuc.png]
351C Bold Manners, Brash Attitude
Favorite Teams: Michigan Wolverines and Whoever Is Playing Ohio State.

When I drive past a herd of cows, the cows MOO at me
1. Forgot to reinstall the oil drain plug before priming the oil pump, and poured 2 quarts of Royal Purple breakin oil through the engine and onto the the garage floor, at $10.50 a quart.

2. Pulled the number one spark plug to find TDC while installing the distributor, and forgot to reinstall the plug. Took a minute to figure out why the engine was still running like crap.

There's more, but that's enough for now... Blush

Doc

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
Dropped a carb mounting nut. Couldn't find it in the intake and assumed I lost it elsewhere. Started motor. Nut reduced piston to head clearance. Broke pistion and had to sleeve cyl.

'Mike'
73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in:
This wasn't me, but when I worked at a boatyard we sent a marine V8 out for a rebuild. We put it back in the boat and the owner came back later, saying that he wasn't getting much power from his left engine (big boat - had two V8s, each driving one prop). So we got in there and listened to it, and when we pulled off a head, found the socket that had been left in a cylinder when the machine shop put it together.
Forgot to tighten down a single intake rocker arm and popped the rod & lifter right out. Engine ran like crap and couldn't figure out why the oil pressure was 1/2 of what it should have been...good thing it was one an intake valve and not an exhaust valve, or engine could have hydrolocked...
Forgot the oil pump driveshaft on my first engine, fortunately it was discovered before the engine went in. Wired the plug wires on my Pontiac like a Chevy... Clockvwise vs. counter clockwise

Jeff T.

Low buck, touring style, '73 Convertible "rolling restoration", 351c, 2v heads with a shave and a haircut, Performer intake, Holley 650(ish), roller rockers, screw in studs, guideplates, stainless valves, Duraspark / Motorsports MSD, T-5 conversion. 1-1/8" front, 3/4" rear swaybars KYB shocks and some home brewed subframe connectors. Future plans; JGC steering box, Cobra brakes and... paint, interior, etc.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passenger.

[Image: 1_12_09_14_10_15_11.png]
droptop73;64123 Wrote:Forgot the oil pump driveshaft on my first engine, fortunately it was discovered before the engine went in. Wired the plug wires on my Pontiac like a Chevy... Clockvwise vs. counter clockwise
The old "forgot to install the oil pump driveshaft" trick...Hey Joe, what do you suppose this funny looking axle is doing here on the work bench?

This is the kind of stuff I lose sleep over.

dohebert;64118 Wrote:This wasn't me....
lol
will e;64090 Wrote:Dropped a carb mounting nut.
Only one???
73vertproject;64088 Wrote:1. Forgot to reinstall the oil drain plug.
Oil on the garage floor is to a man what urine on a tree is to a lion.

73vertproject;64088 Wrote:2. Pulled the number one spark plug and forgot to reinstall the plug.
That was going to be my second suggestion...

73vertproject;64088 Wrote:There is more....

Are you getting shy on us doc?
danoreilly;64120 Wrote:Forgot to tighten down a single intake rocker arm..

You miss one little thing....

[Image: 11jmcuc.png]
351C Bold Manners, Brash Attitude
Favorite Teams: Michigan Wolverines and Whoever Is Playing Ohio State.

When I drive past a herd of cows, the cows MOO at me
Added the new oil filter then tried to start the car "BEFORE PUTTING THE OIL IN"

Eric

[Image: a58hgh.jpg]
DRIVE IT DON'T STORE IT!
knocked an ignition wrech off the carb and watched it fall down the distributer hole. After many magnet attempts rolled crank by hand and retrieved it via removing the oil pan. AGAIN!!

[Image: 2rr7aiv.png]

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.
I didn't do the screw-up, but I did experience it. I sent my harmonic damper off for refurbishment. Two years later, I installed the engine after the car was restored, and got the engine running. While setting the timing, whenever I rotated the dizzy to advance the timing, the timing light showed I was retarding the engine. WTF? I couldn't set the timing worth beans for my inaugural drive! After some head-scratching, I realized that the harmonic damper was put on backwards. The folks who did the work re-did it for me at no charge.

Let me check your shorts!
http://midlifeharness.com

[Image: Flamicon2.jpg]

[Image: oldfart.png]
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
runninpony Best engine for Mach 1 MissingNo. 20 828 07-22-2018, 11:37 PM
Last Post: EdM
runninpony 351C engine problems egon1107 23 1,089 06-17-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Don C
  1973 slot mags whats the biggest tyre you can have on them Nige 10 497 04-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Last Post: rackerm
  Kool things Ford workers left behind when they were building your car kevken1959 27 1,534 03-14-2018, 11:43 PM
Last Post: kevken1959
  429 engine mount bdietz 0 286 02-25-2018, 10:35 AM
Last Post: bdietz
  Anyone looking for a new engine? rocketfoot 4 611 01-11-2018, 09:27 AM
Last Post: OMS
  1971 Mustang Mach 1 engine compartment color endroman 7 1,345 11-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Spike Morelli
  Buck tag and engine sticker Vinnie 2 564 06-27-2017, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Vinnie