• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carburetor & manifold
fyi 
Hi,
I have now a 351Cleveland 4V engine with original carburetor and manifold.
I want to replace it, does anyone have any idea?
Edelbrock-Holly-or ...?
Please type carburetor, must the manifold be replaced ?

Thanks,
Eddy
Huh
eddyw;62816 Wrote:Hi,
I have now a 351Cleveland 4V engine with original carburetor and manifold.
Edelbrock-Holly-or ...?
Please type carburetor, must the manifold be replaced ?

Thanks,
Eddy
Huh

Hi Eddy -

First let us know what you want to do with your car. Drag strip? Street machine? Weekend cruiser? If we know that, then we can provide a better recommendation.

Doc

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
Mainifold should be replaced...All counts on what year of cleveland..Is it a q code?..cause they made them too wide for most replacement carbs.and need a adaptor plate...that kinda messes with the flow...I was tring my hardest too keep my original..But it wasnt worth the hassle...200 bucks i got a nice light aluminum one from jegs that fit all holley and elderbrock....Is she a stock mustang? Or a little built? With all the stock stuff..Im guessing stock..Which a Edelbrock 1405 manual choke preformer is great for stock replacement....Hardly any tuning too do...I do like holleys too..But they a bit less bolt on and go....i wouldnt get over a 650cfm if your stock...both carbs are great..I had great luck with both carbs..and seen great out of both carbs from famiy and freinds.

just dont get one too big for your motor...Your 4v stock cleveland doesnt need a double pumper or even a vacume secondary 750 till your hitting over the 400 horses...lol

Edelbrock 1405 - Edelbrock Performer ....Holley 0-80783C
Vacuum Secondary 650 cfm Carb .....my choice if your stock.
eddyw;62816 Wrote:I have now a 351Cleveland 4V engine with original carburetor and manifold.
Your in Belgium??? Hope you didn't steal your stuff from LUXSTANG, cuz he and I are tight.

What type of Ford carb do you have? Does it still have the metal ID tag attached to a top assembly bolt? If so, can you take a photo of the tag and post it here?

Why do you want to replace these items?

While I am at it, does anyone have an ELEGANT solution for:

1. Running the fuel lines to an aftermarket carb? It KILLS me how Hol and Edel have a "ford" carb, but the fuel lines must run to the opposite side of the carb than a typical Ford.

2. Connecting throttle cable to an aftermarket carb? It kills me how Hol and Edel have a "ford" carb, but the throttle cable doesn't match up.

3. As reminded by Don C, for those of us with Auto Trans, there is the throttle kick down rod. This rod is attached to the carb at one end and the transmission at the other. When the throttle/gas pedal is floored, the rod moves a lever at the transmission to entice the transmission into a lower gear. It basically performs the function of moving your shift lever from D to 2 or 1.

What is so "ford" about the ford carbs anyway? The bolt pattern for mounting it?

[Image: 11jmcuc.png]
351C Bold Manners, Brash Attitude
Favorite Teams: Michigan Wolverines and Whoever Is Playing Ohio State.

When I drive past a herd of cows, the cows MOO at me
I have never had a problem hooking up Holly's (2300, 3310, 2150) to my mustang's throttle cable. Kickdown and fuel yes, but the throttle seemed to be no issues.

'Mike'
73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in:
Carburetor choice is often a matter of personal preference. I've had both, and both have worked well for me. However, because I was using Holly long before Edelbrock thought about making them, I am more familiar with Holly and prefer them (even with leaking fuel bowls).

The Blue Thunder is probably the best all around manifold for Clevelands, modeled after the Shelby 351C manifolds (my opinion - of course).

For the other questions that popped up, I don't know about elegant, but I agree trying to route the fuel line is a challenge, and how I did it is attached, I tried to run it to keep it as cool as possible, so it is held away from the block.

The biggest difference about "Ford" carburetors: you hit on one of them, the throttle linkage, the other is the transmission kickdown. With a couple of notable exceptions, most Ford 4-barrel carbs had the same bolt pattern as Holly square flange carbs.

.jpg   Engine-left corner-r.jpg (Size: 94.83 KB / Downloads: 191)

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”
--Albert Einstein
Don C;62837 Wrote:Carburetor choice is often a matter of personal preference. I've had both, and both have worked well for me. However, because I was using Holly long before Edelbrock thought about making them, I am more familiar with Holly and prefer them (even with leaking fuel bowls).

The Blue Thunder is probably the best all around manifold for Clevelands, modeled after the Shelby 351C manifolds (my opinion - of course).

For the other questions that popped up, I don't know about elegant, but I agree trying to route the fuel line is a challenge, and how I did it is attached, I tried to run it to keep it as cool as possible, so it is held away from the block.

The biggest difference about "Ford" carburetors: you hit on onof them, the throttle linkage, the other is the transmission kickdown. With a couple of notable exceptions, most Ford 4-barrel carbs had the same bolt pattern as Holly square flange carbs.

I forgot about the throttle kickdown...have to add that to my parts list and prior post. Thanks.

Hi,
It should be a nice weekend cruiser.
Revision of the original carburetor also costs some money and then does this well?
Q code? i think stock engine see engine numbers, automatic transmission numbers, manifold numbers (see photos)
I hope to meet Luxstang in Belgium on the meeting Mustang Fever (Heusden-Zolder)see : http://www.mustanggarage.be/

Thanks & greetings from Belgium

Eddyw & webdizz
Does this look like your carb:

http://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.as...r=D6PE-AGA

Hey guys -

My Holley 80457 bolted right in. Fuel line and throttle cable bolted straight in, and with an adapter (extra charge) the kickdown hooked up easily.

My 2 cents,

Doc

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  INTAKE MANIFOLD PAPPY HAROLD 1 135 08-07-2018, 04:50 AM
Last Post: TommyK
  Underside of Intake manifold Studdley 32 944 05-05-2018, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Stanglover
  351C 4V Carburetor ITMike5.0 35 3,166 03-13-2018, 07:28 AM
Last Post: rackerm
  1973 351C 4V Exhaust Manifold Photos Needed Wolverine 2 605 02-26-2018, 08:45 AM
Last Post: OMS
  Alternator for a 1971 351 C. I believe the 55 amp is stock. Pastorpat 9 866 11-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Last Post: Pastorpat
  351C H code 2V to 4V Carb and Manifold Swap griffbl 18 2,241 11-21-2017, 10:29 PM
Last Post: griffbl
  RPM air gap manifold fit under the hood ok? vikingsandpintos 5 918 11-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Last Post: turtle5353
  Seeking comments on I-M Shield Intake Manifold Heat Shield tony-muscle 11 680 09-29-2017, 02:23 PM
Last Post: mjlan