• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions as I finish rebuild
OK, I'm coming across a few things that I can't figure out, so I'll ask them here in this thread.

First, what is this long black wire about 6 feet long? It enters the engine bay by itself through the firewall to the left of the Master Cylinder above the main wiring harness. What's it for and how is it routed?

.jpg   Unknown Long wire.JPG (Size: 59.13 KB / Downloads: 100)

Thanks!

Doc

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
1. Measure the resistance to make sure the wire is good before you put it back in.

2. It looks like the end you are holding attaches to forward post on the solenoid. Not exactly sure...give me a few minutes, but I think it is the wire for your headlights. That wire is a fusible link. The wire blows if there is too much current....
This post corrected by 9ZCX to: It attaches to the 20 AMP circuit breaker (it powers the top among other things depending on options) the is bolted to the single post terminal on the apron.

The end with the plastic tab that says FUSIBLE LINK is the end that gets mounted to the solenoid.

You know the going rate here is 1 answer=1 beer?

Nobody rides for free...

[Image: 11jmcuc.png]
351C Bold Manners, Brash Attitude
Favorite Teams: Michigan Wolverines and Whoever Is Playing Ohio State.

When I drive past a herd of cows, the cows MOO at me
LOL. Sounds like a fair deal, but only for each suggestion that I use, not for each one offered. Smile

Wolverine;62634 Wrote:It looks like the end you are holding attaches to forward post on the solenoid.

The end with the plastic tab that says FUSIBLE LINK is the end that gets mounted to the solenoid.

Huh The end is a metal connector, and I think it goes here on the solenoid, no?

.jpg   Empty solenoid post (Small).JPG (Size: 38.62 KB / Downloads: 85)

Next up: anything wrong with attaching this condenser to the shock tower where that bolt is just below it?

.jpg   Condensor not attached.JPG (Size: 53.61 KB / Downloads: 85)

Thanks again!

Doc

Doc

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
[quote=73vertproject;62646]
LOL. Sounds like a fair deal, but only for each suggestion that I use, not for each one offered. Smile
[quote=Wolverine;62634]
I take that as meaning I have 2 answers so far.

Picture is worth a thousand words...unfortunately. My condensor is mounted to the same screw as the body ground from the battery.

[Image: nf789.jpg]

[Image: 2j1o028.jpg]

It attaches to the 20 AMP circuit breaker (it powers the top among other things depending on options) the is bolted to the single post terminal on the apron. The push pin on the long wire get pushed into several small hole on the shock tower brace and firewall. You can attach the radio noise condensor to any ground. The factory used the bottom regulator attaching screw to secure the condensor. Chuck
Thanks guys. That solves both issues presented.

Next, where to attach the negative battery ground?

And where does the wire coming out of the bottom of the dizzy attach to?

Doc

Doc

Project started 8-7-10
73vertproject;62663 Wrote:Next, where to attach the negative battery ground?
Engine Block. Passenger side. Not shared. Another part to add to my list.

73vertproject;62663 Wrote:And where does the wire coming out of the bottom of the dizzy attach to?
Distributor -.

Photo of ground cable on block.
[Image: 33p90mf.jpg]
Just to be safe, the photo here is of a 302...but I am pretty sure the 351C is the same.

Wolverine;62673 Wrote:
73vertproject;62663 Wrote:Next, where to attach the negative battery ground?
Engine Block. Passenger side. Not shared. Another part to add to my list.

73vertproject;62663 Wrote:And where does the wire coming out of the bottom of the dizzy attach to?
Distributor -.

Photo of ground cable on block.
[Image: 33p90mf.jpg]

The wire coming out of the distributor goes to the negative terminal on the coil.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”
--Albert Einstein
see this post. for engine ground. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-alter...ght=ground

The lead from the distributor goes to the post on the coil marked DIST or - or neg.. You must be getting very close. Do you have the quick start and break in procedure sorted out? Chuck
c9zx;62681 Wrote:see this post. for engine ground. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-alter...ght=ground

The lead from the distributor goes to the post on the coil marked DIST or - or neg.. You must be getting very close. Do you have the quick start and break in procedure sorted out? Chuck

Thanks for the link, Chuck. Yep, I'm feeling close, but am finding more stuff to deal with as I get closer. I'll be looking at "Pre-starting checklists" any time now...

I found the dedicated ground to the block thanks to James (Wolverine). Since I get to be scorekeeper, I've got him down for three cervezas. Mas o menos.

Can't find ANY markings on my new OEM coil from NAPA, IC1O (V11256). But then again it's late, and tomorrow's another day....

Thanks for all the help today - - I can certainly see the light at the end of the tunnel.... SmileSmileSmile

Doc

Doc

Project started 8-7-10
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1973 351C vacuum lines and eventual other questions scottyrocks 14 290 08-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Don C
  4 Speed toploader rebuild canadian_red_maple_leaf 10 8,691 07-19-2018, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs
  Rebuild or Buy new motor Cresee 21 1,160 05-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: barnett468
  Exhaust System Kits and other questions scgamecock 6 443 03-28-2018, 04:00 PM
Last Post: red351
  Parts list for my 351C 1983 Rebuild mrmolding 17 870 01-21-2018, 08:31 PM
Last Post: mrmolding
  Suggestions for carb/intake combination mild rebuild timachone 15 1,041 01-20-2018, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Canted 393
  5-speed conversion questions scgamecock 7 754 01-11-2018, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pastorpat
  1972 Coupe Engine Swap/Rebuild? Help! Knoxville72Stang 14 784 11-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Last Post: delawarebill