• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking Tips For Cleaning Engine From Machine Shop
When you guys get your engine/heads/crank/pistons back from the machine shop, what do you do with them?

Are there any particular areas of concern/tips with a 351C?

I believe the standard approach is to:

Tools/Supplies:
Water Hose
Engine Brushes
Wire Brush
Dawn, Tide, Equivalent
WD-40, Kroil, Equivalent
Compressed Air Gun with Long Skinny Attachment
Engine Stand
Tools to remove Oil Galley and Freeze Plugs

0. Remove Oil Galley Plugs
.5 Remove Freeze Plugs
1. hose/clean down block and heads with TIDE. Use engine brushes to clean galleys.
2. Insert long stem air blower into cavities and blow out water/debri.
3. Air Dry.
4. Wipe with dry cloth.
5. Repeat of residue is found.
6. Spray exposed iron with WD-40 to prevent rusting.(I am not a WD-40 fan myself, and will probably use KROIL). Try not to spray oil on surfaces to be painted.
6. Paint block/heads ASAP.

I imagine the following bolt threads should be run through to be sure they are in good shape after cleaning:

spark plug
head bolt
oil pan
intake manifold mount to heads
exhaust manifold mount to block
water pump
oil pump
distributor

Anything else?

[Image: 11jmcuc.png]
351C Bold Manners, Brash Attitude
Favorite Teams: Michigan Wolverines and Whoever Is Playing Ohio State.

When I drive past a herd of cows, the cows MOO at me
Hey James -

So you are assembling everything yourself from the empty block (crank, pistons, cam, etc.)? I tried to do that and could not get the cam bearings installed to save my life. After ruining two sets of cam bearings, I took the block to the machine shop and had them finish the whole short block for couple hundred dollars more. That allowed me to focus my energy on the stuff that I found more interesting (intake, carb, etc.).

Good luck!

Doc

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
73vertproject;62118 Wrote:I tried to do that and could not get the cam bearings installed to save my life. Doc
On the only engine I have ever built, I first paid $1500 to a "reputable" engine shop to have a 351W with 130K miles rebuilt for me(long block). That engine ran better before the build. All kinds of issues with compression variance from cylinder to cylinder and valve lift.

So we pulled it, took it to another shop who "corrected" the previous errors($1150) and put that engine together ourselves from scratch...probably another $2000 because we hopped it up a little bit. That engine will last 200k miles I have no doubt. As a result, I am sticking to the previous successful operating procedure- trust but verify!!!

I do have a close friend and a very fine acquaintance that are local who are always happy to assist, they probably have about 40 rebuilds between them. So, if I run into a problem, they are my first line of defense.

Understood. Sounds like you've got a plan and a "team" (if necessary) to get it all put back together. Best of luck and please think about starting a Wiki...

Doc

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
Unless you have a cam bearing tool I would have the machine shop do it.I use hot water and dawn dish soap,pull the oil galley plugs and use engine brushes to clean the galleys and any other place they can get to.Air dry it ,then run a clean wipe through the cylinders and mains to check for dirt,if dirty clean until towel comes back clean.Coat mains ,cylinders, deck and anything you don't intend to paint with your kroil.

Jay
73 mach1
73mach1;62188 Wrote:Unless you have a cam bearing tool I would have the machine shop do it.
Actually, the machine shop did install the cam bearings...going to put that on my tip list.

Thanks for bringing that up Doc...

It can never be too clean. It looks like you have a good game plan. Clean, clean again and clean some more. Use a good motor oil to coat the cylinders when done and cover it with a couple of large plastic bags to keep dirt out.

Jeff T.

Low buck, touring style, '73 Convertible "rolling restoration", 351c, 2v heads with a shave and a haircut, Performer intake, Holley 650(ish), roller rockers, screw in studs, guideplates, stainless valves, Duraspark / Motorsports MSD, T-5 conversion. 1-1/8" front, 3/4" rear swaybars KYB shocks and some home brewed subframe connectors. Future plans; JGC steering box, Cobra brakes and... paint, interior, etc.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passenger.

[Image: 1_12_09_14_10_15_11.png]
droptop73;62380 Wrote:Cover it with a couple of large plastic bags to keep dirt out.
Do need the plastic bags...

I would guess you are fastidious when it comes to a clean shop (that is intended as a complement) If not, you really need to start with a very thorough shop cleaning.

I recommend a few things that maybe aren't completely common. Get a shop heater. When you get done cleaning and washing your block, rinse it one last time with a bucket of water mixed with denatured alcohol. The water blended with alcohol will really help to speed drying. a 50/50 mix works well, but make sure it is denatured and has no additives. After it has been blown out, warm the block up to help dry any water out of the oil passages.

Cam bearings are soft. If they are installed before your cleaning, do not use any harsh chemicals as you can damage them.

Before spraying anything on the metal. paint the lifter valley, and the main caps and webs and noncontact internal surfaces with Glyptal paint. This will provide better oil return and will protect the metal from flash rusting. Once you start spraying penetrents and water displacers, getting paint to stick is a bigger headache. You can use brush on Glyptal, it flows and settles down nicely. Obviously it does not go on any surface that will have a gasket or a bearing touching.

You seem to be on the right track otherwise

[Image: 1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png]

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!
Jeff73Mach1;74731 Wrote:When you get done cleaning and washing your block, rinse it one last time with a bucket of water mixed with denatured alcohol. The water blended with alcohol will really help to speed drying. a 50/50 mix works well, but make sure it is denatured and has no additives.

That is a great idea.

Jeff73Mach1;74731 Wrote:After it has been blown out, warm the block up to help dry any water out of the oil passages.

If my engine had an adjustable height, I could put it into the wife's clothes dryer...but I guess I will have to use her hair dryer instead.

[quote=Jeff73Mach1;74731]
Before spraying anything on the metal. paint the lifter valley, and the main caps and webs and noncontact internal surfaces with Glyptal paint.

This will provide better oil return and will protect the metal from flash rusting. Once you start spraying penetrents and water displacers, getting paint to stick is a bigger headache. You can use brush on Glyptal, it flows and settles down nicely.

Obviously it does not go on any surface that will have a gasket or a bearing touching.
[quote=Jeff73Mach1;74731]

Obvious to who???

Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning cooling system Vinnie 10 188 08-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Don C
  Guage feed wiring harness question. Trying to repair after engine fire... 72sprint302 6 281 06-21-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: 72sprint302
  Engine fires only in start Ryunker 3 285 06-10-2018, 04:54 AM
Last Post: Ryunker
  Need Correct Engine Idle Speed 73StangCoupe 16 3,461 03-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Don C
  Tips for troubleshooting dash lights? scgamecock 7 460 02-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Last Post: midlife
  SMOKE Machine Diagnostic Emissions Vacuum EVAP Leak Detector Tester mustang7173 0 325 01-23-2018, 07:51 AM
Last Post: mustang7173
  Winter Engine Clean-up EBSTANG 7 704 04-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Jeff73Mach1
  RE: my engine run video yesterday... Pastel Blue 4 619 02-20-2017, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Bentworker