• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't decide which way to go ? Transmission or engine
Wrench 
Hello guys, I have my Mustang since 6 months now and I already did a lots of things : 4 barrel Holley and Weiand intake to feed my 351C 2V , Hooker headers, Pypes 2.5" brand new exhaust, brand new Koni shocks, new wheels and tires...
Still there is tons of small things that need to be done but now the car handles and runs a lot better.

I'm going to have some money coming in very soon and problem is I can't decide which "big" mod I wanna do.

I dream about a manual trans to replace my C4, which would make the Mustang even more cool to drive (here in Europe we're used to manual trans). Rebuilt four speed toploaders look really good, or a T5 if I have the money.
I also think about putting some money in the motor : this is a stock 1972 351C 2V, except for the intake and carb (Weiand Xcelerator/Holley 600 cfm), and Hooker long tubes headers. I think I'm around 250-260 HP right now. I'd like to reach the 350-400 HP range ; I thought about doing the classic mods like 2V Edelbrock aluminium heads, new valvetrain, bigger camshaft, and maybe a better ignition etc.
This means pulling the motor out, cleaning, porting heads etc.

What do you think ? What would you do ? Which can lead to the most trouble ?
Thanks !
IMO it depends on what you want out of the car, the cool factor or speed.
I think for just cool factor go with the tranny swap or for performance work on the motor. The tranny swap consist of changing a lot of parts, but I will say I love my top loader.
If you decide trans sway
I have a complete set up

Ohio Mustang Supply
440-949-2556

[Image: oms_sig_banner.jpg]
Sounds to me like your next natural move is to swap for a standard, but then I love to drive a standard transmission.

You all ready have some extra power and putting in a standard transmission will add to that feel. I would imagine that a top loader will be hard to find and expensive in France, the T-5 or TKO would be readily available but the expense will be much the same. Your major issue will be hooking up the clutch setup. Either way it will not be an inexpensive venture.

Depends on how much money you are coming into. The motor mods will be less expensive.

Well it looks like Don has answered some of the question before I got the post posted - there you go then!
Sly_drums;59220 Wrote:Hello guys, I have my Mustang since 6 months now and I already did a lots of things : 4 barrel Holley and Weiand intake to feed my 351C 2V , Hooker headers, Pypes 2.5" brand new exhaust, brand new Koni shocks, new wheels and tires...
Still there is tons of small things that need to be done but now the car handles and runs a lot better.

I'm going to have some money coming in very soon and problem is I can't decide which "big" mod I wanna do.

I dream about a manual trans to replace my C4, which would make the Mustang even more cool to drive (here in Europe we're used to manual trans). Rebuilt four speed toploaders look really good, or a T5 if I have the money.
I also think about putting some money in the motor : this is a stock 1972 351C 2V, except for the intake and carb (Weiand Xcelerator/Holley 600 cfm), and Hooker long tubes headers. I think I'm around 250-260 HP right now. I'd like to reach the 350-400 HP range ; I thought about doing the classic mods like 2V Edelbrock aluminium heads, new valvetrain, bigger camshaft, and maybe a better ignition etc.
This means pulling the motor out, cleaning, porting heads etc.

What do you think ? What would you do ? Which can lead to the most trouble ?
Thanks !
Ya ..you will have to do some porting or just find a pare of used 4v heads ..And they are not spendy...Besides i guess you would have to get diffrent manifold ...Only thing is i hear bad about 2v is when you are tring to get big HP numbers out of them .....Regular stock 2v heads have troubles pass 350ish horse.....4V heads can flow more than most can afford....2:19 valves are hard to beat for horse power....Gives you more rpm's too...You can rev up too a mighty 7,000 rpm....stock 2v heads loose it at 5,000ish....apples and oranges thou...2v give you more truck lugging power...when 4v more high rmp...I got 4v heads on my car and i have had no issue lugging it around when i needed..

4 Speed would be neat...Ya i hear most of europe is sticks...saves gas too...lol
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wrench Asa Jay's next engine build - 1971 Mach I Mustang, Open Road Racing asajay 1 96 08-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Don C
  Getting the engine out of the car... Régis 30 602 08-10-2018, 12:57 PM
  Engine Balance 73' mach 1 9 335 08-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Last Post: c9zx
  C6 Transmission shift position timsweet 4 173 08-06-2018, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Hemikiller
  No Power After Putting Engine Back In VasiliBrown 5 252 07-31-2018, 02:52 PM
Last Post: delawarebill
  Install Engine, Transmission, and Headers VasiliBrown 15 603 07-28-2018, 05:57 PM
Last Post: VasiliBrown
  Engine buffs: why do our engines need to warm up? Vinnie 21 837 07-10-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Blue Mach 429 CJ
  71-73 Engine Performance Don C 12 1,516 07-10-2018, 03:21 PM