• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
welding a good idea
Okay I need to weld a few pieces of sheetmetal in my floor pan and I was wondering what type of weld sould I do.

Note: I have never welded before and I can rent a mig welder from a local hardware store for 30 for 3 hours. I have already prepped the surface and cut the new metal to fit, it has about 1 inch over lap and fits pretty good.

I was hoping someone could help me out a little before I did something I cannot take back.

I know you dont do stuff if you dont know what you are doing, but you cannot learn until you do, and since it is a fllor pan piece and not a body panel i think I should be good. Let me know

1973 MACH ONE H CODE "RUSS"
The biggest problem with an overlap is that it traps moisture and salt. Butt welds are more difficult to do, and keep the pieces lines up. A few big magnets can help keep it lined up. Start by tacking it into place, and then weld a half-inch, or shorter, in one place, move to another, and keep it up until it's finished. If you try to weld a continuous bead things will overheat and warp, plus when the metal starts getting too hot it gets easier to burn through.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”
--Albert Einstein
okay so i keep hear the term plug weld and I understnad the concept, but cannot figure out if I drill holes threw both new and old metal or just the new. I will take my time and the bottom will be sealed off for sure. I cannot get this far and drop the ball

1973 MACH ONE H CODE "RUSS"
rentascout;58554 Wrote:Okay I need to weld a few pieces of sheetmetal in my floor pan and I was wondering what type of weld sould I do.

Note: I have never welded before and I can rent a mig welder from a local hardware store for 30 for 3 hours. I have already prepped the surface and cut the new metal to fit, it has about 1 inch over lap and fits pretty good.

I was hoping someone could help me out a little before I did something I cannot take back.

I know you dont do stuff if you dont know what you are doing, but you cannot learn until you do, and since it is a fllor pan piece and not a body panel i think I should be good. Let me know
IMHO poor welding ruins many a good car next to shoddy metal work body work..The floor is a structural piece & needs to be welded properly..Your best bet would be to have a pro do it (you can do the finish work) Or save up buy a welder..& practice..Before you tackle welding the floor in .Take a look see at my vids..( I do have one on welding)
www.saturdaymorninggarge.com
More on my you tube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzenut/videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AAxjNYagHI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw0cF_kDTc4

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART
Hey, rentascout. If I were in your shoes I would try to buy a welder and llisten, listen, listen and watch, watch, watch what Q (Scott) has to offer with regard to advice, videos, and streaming videos. If you are serious about getting this far and not dropping the ball, I would follow his instructions to the T.

My 2 cents,

Doc

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
I would take Q's advise
He also did a thread showing how to do a proper lap joint which would be easier for you.
But you still need some practice or buy a case of beer for someone you know who can weld
As a professional welder I agree with everyone else. before attempting it on your car practice practice practice. You might not want or have the money to invest in a welder so rent it a few times to practice. I do not suggest using a flux cored wire.{that might be what they will rent you} you must have solid wire and gas {some sort of argon mix} your welding supplier will know. Also when you rent the welder make sure you have a proper sized wire if it is to big it will take more heat to burn it and could cause you problems. Again tell your welding supplier what gauge steel you are welding {most probably 22 gauge}

I encourage you to do this yourself 100% just take your time and watch Q codes videos. His videos are based on welding on cars if you watch standard welding how to vids they might not apply. Welding on cars is basically just tacking. you do NOT do a bead. I know it was said above but it is worth repeating.

good luck.

Eric

[Image: a58hgh.jpg]
DRIVE IT DON'T STORE IT!
Here is another vote for doing it yourself BUT follow Q's videos and practice first.

[Image: 386_07_10_13_5_58_42.jpeg]
My Mustangs:
71 M-code Mach 1, Medium Blue/White Sport, 4R70W, 3L50, Factory Ram Air.
72 Q-code Mach 1, Pewter/Black Sport, 4-spd, 3L25.
65 Convertible, Britney Blue/White/White, more modified than original.
05 Convertible, Legend Lime/Tan/Tan, future classic??
We are getting ready to do the same type of work, but on the trunk floor and tail light panel.
Bought a cutting torch and small arc welder. www.northerntool.com frequently has both on sale.
Will definitely check Q's videos.

mike

[Image: 1_11_11_13_11_50_27.png]
You have a nice car to start with. It will worth the wait to fix it the best you can.
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New float needed for 72 429 carb...any idea where? mach1chick 5 904 07-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Last Post: mach1chick
  Car running not so good. coupe351w 14 1,619 06-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Last Post: coupe351w
  Any idea what these are called? Lifizgud 6 941 04-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Last Post: mpbsr
  The Good, Bad and WTF did I do rentascout 11 1,642 04-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Last Post: rentascout
  Idle's good...runs like crap! rocketfoot 41 6,664 10-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Totalled
  Good place to order touch up paint? Sprintsportsroof 5 2,309 05-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Last Post: URUGUAYAN_FASTBACK
  Welding Flex#12 Darren 72 20 4,279 04-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Don65Stang
  Good deal on Eastwood Intergrip Panel Clamps Set of 4 DragonKnight 1 1,592 03-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Last Post: URUGUAYAN_FASTBACK