• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Window rattle when closing door
I'm sure you guys can guide me in the right direction. My driver's door window rattles upon closing "unless it's rolled all the way up". My passenger door is fine. I changed the belt line fuzzies (both inner and outer) hoping that would resolve the issue but it didn't... they needed to be changed anyway. Any suggestions?

Jim

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear
We had both doors gone over when we got the Mach 1 and found all the window guts were loose. After tightening everything up, it really helped but there is still an inherent rattle when the door slams shut (Window down)

I'm not sure how to completely quiet the rattling??

[Image: 1gq8uo.png]
1971 Mach 1 - 306cid/C4 Bright Yellow
"Just relax, I've got a friend named Felix who can fix anything!" ~James Bond
My driver door rattles also unless the window is at least partly rolled up.

mike
'71 Grandé

[Image: 1_11_11_13_11_50_27.png]
Make sure the glass isn't going down too far, so that it is below the inner and outter belts. The only other thing is the nylon grommet that rides up and down on the "glass run" rod. If it is worn or missing you'll get a lot of rattles.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”
--Albert Einstein
Don C;58121 Wrote:Make sure the glass isn't going down too far, so that it is below the inner and outter belts. The only other thing is the nylon grommet that rides up and down on the "glass run" rod. If it is worn or missing you'll get a lot of rattles.

Now I'm wishing I would have taken some pictures of the inner door while I had the door panel off changing the belt line fuzzies...but I just assumed it was the dried out worn fuzzies allowing it it to rattle. I had a heck of time getting the driver's door panel to snap back on...almost reached for the superglueConfused

Jim

The clips that hold the door panel only survive a couple of changes.
We have had the panels off twice. Once to replace the lock and again
to tighten the window. Still rattles a bit.

mike

[Image: 1_11_11_13_11_50_27.png]
Not sure if you have tried this yet or not. I went through the beltline felt replacement as well but while I had the interior out for paint I also adjusted the metal window guides that are bolted to the inside of the door. I can't remember how many there are per door but 2 seems right. If my memory serves correctly they have a soft fabric on the curved part at the end that rests/ puts a little pressure against the window glass. I've attached a photo that shows a little part of one. It is just below the door lock rod and has some blue overspray on it from the paint job. They pivot toward or away from the glass when the bolts are loosened. Hopefully you can see the part in this attached pic. The bolt to adjust it is pretty much dead center of the image.

.jpg   IMG_1442b.jpg (Size: 21.54 KB / Downloads: 115)
OPN PONY;58142 Wrote:Not sure if you have tried this yet or not. I went through the beltline felt replacement as well but while I had the interior out for paint I also adjusted the metal window guides that are bolted to the inside of the door. I can't remember how many there are per door but 2 seems right. If my memory serves correctly they have a soft fabric on the curved part at the end that rests/ puts a little pressure against the window glass. I've attached a photo that shows a little part of one. It is just below the door lock rod and has some blue overspray on it from the paint job. They pivot toward or away from the glass when the bolts are loosened. Hopefully you can see the part in this attached pic. The bolt to adjust it is pretty much dead center of the image.

Yes I do remember that piece of material pushing against the window, thanks for pointing out where the bolt to adjust is located, I 'll give that a try when I take the panel off, I also follow up on the other recommendations...I should have posted this prior to doing my beltline felts, would have saved me from taking the panel off again.

Jim

My window was hitting the back of the door speaker. I put some thin foam on the back of the speaker and that helped the rattle.
OPN Pony has the solution correct. That is the purpose of those curved pieces.
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  door guts Copestang 1 182 07-24-2018, 06:35 AM
Last Post: mustang7173
  Chrome spray from a rattle can Pegleg 12 454 06-13-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Stanglover
  Door Jamb Vent Covers ITMike5.0 7 400 05-03-2018, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Mikes73
  73 door window noise after rebuild samckay 0 172 04-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Last Post: samckay
  Window Trim Cleaning, Bright metal andy72 4 358 04-22-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs
  Deluxe Door Woodgrain Insert andy72 29 1,391 04-21-2018, 06:39 PM
Last Post: andy72
  73' rear quarter window electric switch location? frank@quadrachiropractic.com 2 346 03-26-2018, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs
  Best deluxe Replacement Door Panels Stanglover 29 1,627 03-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Stanglover