• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
72' 351C H Code upgrading
Here's my actual setup :

72' H-Code 351C engine, all original except :

Weiand X-Celerator single plane intake
Holley 600 CFM carb
Hooker Competition headers and Pypes 2.5" Dual exhaust with Violator mufflers (receiving it in a few days)
C4 transmission

My Mustang is a Q Code but the engine has been swapped years ago for an H-Code.
I'm actually pretty satisfied with my setup, I think I'm around 250 HP power-wise... But I'd really like to uprade to 300 or 350 HP.
I don't want to race, only street cruising and maybe driving on track sometimes.
Rear gear ratio is 3.5 (that's the original ratio). I don't want to increase it because I'll surely have to drive on the highway quite often, and I don't want to upgrade the engine to 4V because I like the torque 2V the heads produce, and it will avoid me changing all my setup.

I was thinking about getting the following :

- 2V Aussie heads or performance aluminium heads ? Used 2V Aussie heads look great and not as expensive as Edelbrock heads. I can't decide here.

- Crane cam (when time will come I'll drop them an email so they can help me out in the choice)

- Better Ignition : MSD would be great.

- Forged pistons : this is a security, but there are tons of brands selling them, I think the pistons from Probe Industries look good.

- 4 speed trans (lots of them used on ebay) : a lot more fun to me.

What do you think ? Is this a good plan ?

Going with Aussie heads will increase the compression ratio. I generally use 98% octane fuel (named "Sans Plomb 98" here in France) with an additive in my car, will this work with higher compression ratio ?

Thanks guys for helping me out !
Sly_drums;45053 Wrote:Here's my actual setup :

72' H-Code 351C engine, all original except :

Weiand X-Celerator single plane intake
Holley 600 CFM carb
Hooker Competition headers and Pypes 2.5" Dual exhaust with Violator mufflers (receiving it in a few days)
C4 transmission

My Mustang is a Q Code but the engine has been swapped years ago for an H-Code.
I'm actually pretty satisfied with my setup, I think I'm around 250 HP power-wise... But I'd really like to uprade to 300 or 350 HP.
I don't want to race, only street cruising and maybe driving on track sometimes.
Rear gear ratio is 3.5 (that's the original ratio). I don't want to increase it because I'll surely have to drive on the highway quite often, and I don't want to upgrade the engine to 4V because I like the torque 2V the heads produce, and it will avoid me changing all my setup.

I was thinking about getting the following :

- 2V Aussie heads or performance aluminium heads ? Used 2V Aussie heads look great and not as expensive as Edelbrock heads. I can't decide here.

- Crane cam (when time will come I'll drop them an email so they can help me out in the choice)

- Better Ignition : MSD would be great.

- Forged pistons : this is a security, but there are tons of brands selling them, I think the pistons from Probe Industries look good.

- 4 speed trans (lots of them used on ebay) : a lot more fun to me.

What do you think ? Is this a good plan ?

Going with Aussie heads will increase the compression ratio. I generally use 98% octane fuel (named "Sans Plomb 98" here in France) with an additive in my car, will this work with higher compression ratio ?

Thanks guys for helping me out !

If you are going to go to the trouble of converting to a manual trans then for probably the same money you could install a 5 speed. This would allow you to go with a shorter gear ratio for better acceleration while still maintaining a cruise rpm equal to or even lower than what you have now.

The aussie heads with a properly dished piston giving you 9.5:1 compression or thereabouts is not a bad choice. However depending on the budget you may want to step up to an aluminum 2V head. Either way when using a quench style chamber it is a good idea to zero deck the block. This will increase torque and add detonation resistance. Instead of talking with crane about a cam, I would seek out a professional engine builder or cam grinder familiar with clevelands and get a custom grind for your combo. Tim Meyer, Brent Lykins and Scott Johnston are names that come to mind.

Good luck

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.
Sound like a good plan and a solid set up to me. As long as you stay below 10.5:1 you really shouldn't need octane booster along with 98 octane gas. But if it does start pinging then you would need it.

[Image: 2rr7aiv.png]

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1973 351C vacuum lines and eventual other questions scottyrocks 14 263 08-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Don C
  Correct 351C Power Steering Hoses? street rod mach 1 7 182 08-12-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: NOT A T5
  1973 351 H code vacuum routing Mikes73 6 4,397 08-10-2018, 05:12 PM
Last Post: scottyrocks
  1972 Q code new carb rugbyguytx 5 789 07-30-2018, 04:13 PM
Last Post: jpaz
  351c cam lobe ID. Have to measure lift Ryunker 8 285 07-23-2018, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Ryunker
  351c vs 351w Tnfastbk 11 5,861 07-14-2018, 02:57 AM
Last Post: MissingNo.
  Holley Sniper on a 351c Fabrice 45 5,367 07-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Fabrice
  1971 351c m-code engine Meyer 8 468 06-23-2018, 06:14 PM