• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Decent Paint Shop in NJ?
Can anyone recomend a decent body shop in Northern NJ that I won't have to leave an arm and a leg when I pick the car up?
Some of the guys I have gone to want $10-12K and I have no rust!
f117rt;43745 Wrote:Can anyone recomend a decent body shop in Northern NJ that I won't have to leave an arm and a leg when I pick the car up?
Yep..As you know costs have skyrocketed in the northeast ! As a former shop owner who still talks to numerous shops..Everybody is crying the blues about overhead...materials...insurance...health care.. etc. $4000.00 for a paint job just doesn't cut it these days when it costs you over $2000.00 in materials..not even factoring in your overhead. A good body guy should be taking home at least 6-800 a week..A good painter should be taking home 8-1000.00 a week. If you do the math..body guy on your car for 5 days to prep prime mask etc=800.00 painter..painting..wet sand..buff=600.00 for round numbers lets say it's going to cost the shop at least $4000.00 to do the job if not more depending on rent..insurance..benefits...So 12 is a bit high but I would say 6 to 9 is what your looking at for a quality top notch job at a real shop not some weekend warrior doing work out of there backyard. Also most of the shops I have spoken to in the last few weeks are jam packed with insurance work from the last storm which is much more profitable than doing your job. The point being now is not a good time to be shopping for a paint job since the shops have so much profitable work..To stop that work & take your car in they are going to want a premium price..Wait till this work drys up & shop around when they are looking for work. This time of year was always my busy season even more so as soon as it starts snowing. Keep in mind these numbers are based on costs here in the northeast.

I forgot to add that most shops are now also in the middle of transitioning to waterborne paint systems which is being MANDATED by law. It's a very expensive switch over requiring modifications to booths..different guns...& investment in training...Shop owners need to recoup this cost..So as usual this cost is being is going to end up being paid for by the consumer !

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART
Qcode351mach;43779 Wrote:
f117rt;43745 Wrote:Can anyone recomend a decent body shop in Northern NJ that I won't have to leave an arm and a leg when I pick the car up?
Yep..As you know costs have skyrocketed in the northeast ! As a former shop owner who still talks to numerous shops..Everybody is crying the blues about overhead...materials...insurance...health care.. etc. $4000.00 for a paint job just doesn't cut it these days when it costs you over $2000.00 in materials..not even factoring in your overhead. A good body guy should be taking home at least 6-800 a week..A good painter should be taking home 8-1000.00 a week. If you do the math..body guy on your car for 5 days to prep prime mask etc=800.00 painter..painting..wet sand..buff=600.00 for round numbers lets say it's going to cost the shop at least $4000.00 to do the job if not more depending on rent..insurance..benefits...So 12 is a bit high but I would say 6 to 9 is what your looking at for a quality top notch job at a real shop not some weekend warrior doing work out of there backyard. Also most of the shops I have spoken to in the last few weeks are jam packed with insurance work from the last storm which is much more profitable than doing your job. The point being now is not a good time to be shopping for a paint job since the shops have so much profitable work..To stop that work & take your car in they are going to want a premium price..Wait till this work drys up & shop around when they are looking for work. This time of year was always my busy season even more so as soon as it starts snowing. Keep in mind these numbers are based on costs here in the northeast.

Your advice is very applicable even though I live in California. The rains
have arrived so there will be plenty of insurance work. Wait until Spring
to have my body/paint work done when jobs dry up. As far as how much
I will pay, shop around. Thanks, great advice.

mike

[Image: 1_11_11_13_11_50_27.png]
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cadmium paint mustangglen 12 477 08-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Last Post: mustangglen
  Brake Booster and MC paint color?? turtle5353 3 160 07-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs
  Cleaning Paint off of Dash Bezels kcmash 4 289 06-13-2018, 06:38 AM
Last Post: Pegleg
  interior paint jiujitsuDave 5 1,562 05-21-2018, 10:29 AM