• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
December 2011 COTM! 73 Convertible
Well here goes

I have been a Mustang nut since the day I had my very first ride in a car...you got it , it was a Mustang! I was born in May of 64 and my uncle worked on the line at Ford and bought a brand new for 64 Mustang...as luck would have it the day my parents were supposed to bring me home from the hospital my dad had to work so my uncle brought my mom and I home.

Fast forward I have had a few Mustangs since getting my drivers lic @ 16 and have loved them all. I had a 70 Mach One that I sold as my wife was pregnant with our son.....I swore I get another one ( the car not the kid).

Four years ago I was checking out Ebay as my new old Mustang was going to have to come from the South I was tired of screwing around with rusted out cars from the Great White North.

I started out looking at 65-68 Mustangs and very quickly realized that they had moved beyond my price range, so I started looking at the 69-70's again no real luck there so I looked at the 71-73 models.....and I thought what a great looking style why didn't I pay attention to them earlier?

As luck would have it I found my car on Ebay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxCrNqqYV-M

I must have watched this video about 20 times and I placed my bid.
Everyday for the next 6 days I sat and watched "my car" I was actually at work when the auction was coming to a close and the guys I used to supervise were all excited watching me get the car.

.jpg   Mustang1 [73 a].jpg (Size: 68.62 KB / Downloads: 139)

.jpg   Mustang4 [73 a].jpg (Size: 63.47 KB / Downloads: 136)

Now the hard work started I had to make sure all the paperwork was in order so that I could bring the car across the border. I had already made plans with the salesman to pick me up at DCA and take me to Leesburg where the car was.....sure helped that I used to work for an airline.

I couldn't get ahold of anyone in Customs at the bridge in Fort Erie so I had to alter my route and go through Detroit....paperwork had to be at the border 3 days prior to me bringing the car back.

So I flew into DCA was picked up by the salesman and taken to my car. By having to change my route through Detroit I added 300 miles to my journey.
For a total of 706 miles.

I finished off my business at the dealership and jumped into my convertible put the top down as it was a great day in May and set off for Ancaster Ontario. Talk about a leap of faith the only stuff I knew about the car was what I had seen on the video.

I cruised along just minding my own business and didn't have any issues to contend with.

I was in Pennsylvania and I could see a white foreign convertible starting to fly up in my rear view mirror next thing I know this couple in a brand new BMW convertible are honking and waving and giving me the thumbs up! What a rush that was. I was in a 35 yr old Mustang and they were in an $60,000 + car giving me the thumbs up!

A little later it started to drizzle so I put the top up ....and as the rain started to come down harder I found that the gasket along the windshield was just there for looks! I laughed about it as I watched the water rolling over the windshield and dripping down onto my seat between my legs. Thankfully the rain stopped but by this time it was starting to get dark, so I pulled on my lights and thought " that dirty bastard of a salesman, sold me a car with no dash lights" it wasn't until it got really dark that I saw a faint tinge of green coming from my dash.

I rolled into Detroit around 21:00 that evening, I had started out at 13:00. and now I had to deal with customs....well US customs couldn't find my paperwork and before they could say sorry you're going to have to leave the car here I produced my fax receipt and all was well, so off I went.

I crossed the bridge and now had to deal with Canada customs, so off I went to pay the salestax on the car...as customs looked through the car. When I came back out they were all excited as they thought I was lying to them about what I had paid for the car. They had found the window placard that the dealership had hung from the window that had been placed in between the seat and console. So fast forward another hour of waiting for them to check eBay I was finally on my way again.

If anyone has done the drive from Detroit/Windsor to the Toronto area you'll feel my pain at the next 3 hrs of trying to keep my eyes open as the exhaust from the car got steadily louder.

Needless to say I finally pulled into my garage at 01:30 happy tired and impressed that the old girl had made the journey without a fault.
[attachment=5459]

.jpg   P5050057 [640x480].JPG (Size: 108.68 KB / Downloads: 136)

.jpg   July Mustang 006 [73 a].jpg (Size: 92.3 KB / Downloads: 136)
This pic was taken this past summer in Niagara Falls with Roy

.jpg   73 and B25 [640x480].jpg (Size: 65.89 KB / Downloads: 138)
Wings and Wheels car show in Hamilton Ontario

My car has a 302 with 4bbl
3 spd stick that I want to change over to 5 spd
I have added the NACA hood and the lower black stripe
I changed my console and interior rear quarters as P/O hacked them for speakers
P/O added the rear spoiler
paint and interior is otherwise original
She still wears the original paint

[Image: 1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png]

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy
Beautiful Mustang and great pics!

[Image: 1gq8uo.png]
1971 Mach 1 - 306cid/C4 Bright Yellow
"Just relax, I've got a friend named Felix who can fix anything!" ~James Bond
You have a hardwood floor garage!!! Really?

[Image: 2rr7aiv.png]

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.
markmel;41608 Wrote:You have a hardwood floor garage!!! Really?
That picture is from the car dealership. Hardwood garage floor wouldn't survive around here....lol

Ken

Whew!! There would be no way I could look at my oily cement floor right again. Tongue Great story and sweet car.

[Image: 2rr7aiv.png]

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.
Lookin good Ken, looks really good in front of the black oneBig Grin
Tnfastbk;41619 Wrote:Lookin good Ken, looks really good in front of the black oneBig Grin

Thanks Roy....thought I would throw that one in there since you've met so many members so far this year!

Ken

Great story. I really like the yellow with white interior nice car.
Great car Ken! I love the red vert next to it! You have a nice looking vert for sure!

[Image: 16kuyc0.jpg]
Fantastic story! You have my thumb highly up! Smile

Damián Cool

[Image: 120x45bk1ani.gif]
Vote For 7173Mustangs.Com Every Day!
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  January 2017 COTM timsweet 6 1,267 01-27-2017, 10:25 PM
Last Post: fomoco72
  December 2016 COTM MustangLover63 17 2,035 01-02-2017, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Qco1427