• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Steering Pump leaking ?
Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well with their restoration projects.
I have a question about my power steering pump leaking. It never leaked before, but I was test driving it the other day and there was fluid shooting towards the shock tower apron wall. I checked and could not find it, so I pulled off the pump and tightened the big bolts behind the pump for the pressure hose, and also tightened the other (return) hose. Funny part is, I cant see it leaking when the car is idle in park, but once I drive it, its all over the shock tower apron. I cleaned the whole area once put back together, but still couldnt find where it was leaking from.Both hoses are brand new, so is the pump. its only wet around that area, rag joint area and the box is dry and clean. What could it be? The dipstick is stuck tight, plus there wouldnt be that much pressure. Has anyone experienced that before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sharpstang72
At idle, there is no real pressure in the supply line from the pump to steering box. There is not a lot of pressure in the return line, but it may still be leaking. You will need to either have someone inside the car turn the wheel left and right, or just reach down and twist the steering shaft (if you can reach it safely).

There may be a pin hole in a hose, or a defective fitting.

Pete - MotoArts Decals and Signs
'71 Sportsroof 351C-4V/4-speed - FINALLY under construction - no, wait, on hold again...
'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop, rolling beater
'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA, survivor
Hose leak. Take it (or both) to a local hydraulic hose outfit and they can probably manufacture a new one in 30 minutes to replace your original.
MotoArts;40901 Wrote:At idle, there is no real pressure in the supply line from the pump to steering box. There is not a lot of pressure in the return line, but it may still be leaking. You will need to either have someone inside the car turn the wheel left and right, or just reach down and twist the steering shaft (if you can reach it safely).

There may be a pin hole in a hose, or a defective fitting.

+1 Chuck
+2 , have some one set in the car with it running and raise the engine above Idle, turn the wheel back and forth. I think you will find your leak real fast!

[Image: 16kuyc0.jpg]
Mine leaked out the dip stick filler cap. It was overheating because I forgot to reinstall the power steering cooler. Once I did that, it never leaked again. When it did leak, it got all over the shock towers also. Good luck!
The big O ring on the power steering pump reservoir might be leaking.

my current rides
1973 Mustang Coupe
1989 Mercury Cougar XR7
1973 Mercury XR7 Cougar Convertible(sold)
1966 Mercury Comet 202
1985 F150 4x4
1962 Ford Fairlane 500
Mine never came w/a cooler plus it never leaked before. Where is the big O ring? Is it where the pressure hose goes in the back where 2 big bolts are?

Thanks,
I would re-tighten the hoses down by the rag joint area. I had a leak a few weeks ago, and discovered that although I thought I had tightened the hoses, they needed to be a little tighter. I had my neighbour look inside the engine bay while I turned the wheel, and he could see the fluid leaking from the coupling. I disconnected the line and retightened it. Leak is now gone. Good luck.
On my 73 I had a problem just like that and it was about to drive me crazy. It took a long time to find but what I found was the small tube from the pressure side on the pump up to the pressure hose , only about 4" long ,had pin holes in it. Sad thing that piece is not reproduced, I had to find one in a junk yard.
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
runninpony Top Section Steering Column NOT A T5 0 127 06-23-2018, 01:57 PM
Last Post: NOT A T5
  Leaking heater core Pegleg 2 198 06-05-2018, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Pegleg
  Aftermarket Steering Wheel headaches Omie01 5 335 05-30-2018, 06:47 AM
Last Post: Pegleg
Stang Water pump replacement Plywood50 8 337 05-23-2018, 10:27 PM
Last Post: EBSTANG
runninpony Chromed/Rebuild Power Brake Booster NOT A T5 9 490 02-15-2018, 03:58 AM
Last Post: NOT A T5
  Column have to be in for dash power to work? scgamecock 4 619 12-30-2017, 05:24 PM
Last Post: midlife
  Steering column Dust seal Omie01 1 564 12-25-2017, 07:46 AM
Last Post: Omie01
  Power window problem rocro 10 1,306 12-23-2017, 05:02 PM
Last Post: kcmash