• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WOOHOO
Changed my sending unit in the gas tank and I now have a working fuel gauge. It was time to do it since I ran out of gas 5 min from my house the other day hahahaBlush I got my unit at a local parts store and the fuel tube was on the wrong side. But I bought 12 inches of fuel line and cut about 1.5 inches off and it fit great the rubber fuel line does not touch the exhaust pipe. It is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch away and no kinks in the line. It does not leak at the electrical connection and it was spot on I did not have to adjust the arm at all. I took the old one out and let the fuel leak out until it stopped and that is my empty. I put around 5 gallons in it and it read 1/4. It is amazing how a simple working fuel gauge can put a smile on a guy's face Big Grin

Eric

[Image: a58hgh.jpg]
DRIVE IT DON'T STORE IT!
Its the little things that make life good Big Grin. Or frustrating as I've done the run out of fuel thing too... Good to hear its working well.
GREAT news, Eric!

I am always happy to hear that "something worked" the way we have envisioned itSmile.

BT

Do the RIGHT thing.
Good job! That's the way you send your son out in the car with half a tank and expect no excuses Tongue

[Image: 2rr7aiv.png]

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.
The non operating fuel gauge was standard operating equiment when I was in my late teens.
Friday nights I had to split my money between beer and gas!
In the morning I had to pray that I had enough gas to get to work.
Ah, the good old days.
M Beauchamp;37956 Wrote:The non operating fuel gauge was standard operating equiment when I was in my late teens.
Ah, the good old days.

LOL MB! I do know the feeling Eric. Good job!
DJ
M Beauchamp;37956 Wrote:The non operating fuel gauge was standard operating equiment when I was in my late teens.
Ah, the good old days.

Funny you should say that because my first car (86 buick regal) had a broken fuel gauge, this was when gas was $4+ a gallon, I would go and get $5 of gas everyday after school so I know I had at least 1 gallon of gas. It didn't help that the fuel tank leaked as well.

Jayson
[Image: 36319488731_8f2a376549_z.jpg]
73 Mach 1 Mustang
89 Dodge Shadow ES
94 Jeep Wrangler

The sending unit I replaced on my 73 had the tube on the wrong side too; it lasted about 5 years then started leaking fuel around the electrical connection. Could have been a quirk but you may want to keep an eye on it for leaks.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony

Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

[Image: 20180127_082009.jpg]

upload a photo on internet

72fastback;37915 Wrote:Changed my sending unit in the gas tank and I now have a working fuel gauge. It was time to do it since I ran out of gas 5 min from my house the other day hahahaBlush I got my unit at a local parts store and the fuel tube was on the wrong side. But I bought 12 inches of fuel line and cut about 1.5 inches off and it fit great the rubber fuel line does not touch the exhaust pipe. It is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch away and no kinks in the line. It does not leak at the electrical connection and it was spot on I did not have to adjust the arm at all. I took the old one out and let the fuel leak out until it stopped and that is my empty. I put around 5 gallons in it and it read 1/4. It is amazing how a simple working fuel gauge can put a smile on a guy's face Big Grin
All the reproductions I've seen have the outlet pointing the wrong direction. I ended up transferring the float, arm, and potentiometer, from the new reproduction to the original pick up. Glad you got it working. Chuck

c9zx;38002 Wrote:All the reproductions I've seen have the outlet pointing the wrong direction. I ended up transferring the float, arm, and potentiometer, from the new reproduction to the original pick up. Glad you got it working. Chuck

The correct ones are out there, I bought a replacement from Don at Ohio Mustang. See this thread: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-warni...nding+unit

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony

Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

[Image: 20180127_082009.jpg]

upload a photo on internet

Share Thread: