• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roof line drip rails
Good evening,
As soon as I get a change I will be installing the roof line drip rails n my car following the steps shown n thread
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-how-t...drip-rails
Now The thread mentions what kind of screws are needed window clips but my question is, What else do I need???
silicone, tape, filler or what was used when factory did it?
Would anyone please give me a list of all the material needed for this task.
I have many one too many mistakes not asking questions, I figure might as well ask here and order the correct stuff at once from one place.
Thank you all

[Image: 241120n.png]
MrMach71;36872 Wrote:Good evening,
As soon as I get a change I will be installing the roof line drip rails n my car following the steps shown n thread
Now The thread mentions what kind of screws are needed window clips but my question is, What else do I need???
I have many one too many mistakes not asking questions, I figure might as well ask here and order the correct stuff at once from one place.
Thank you all
I think that thread pretty much covers it ! You do need the thin foam seal I believe one of the members here can supply it (Hemikiller ?) if not him you can find it here http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3523/=e2c6eh I wanna say 1/16" thick x 1/2" wide but i don't have my moldings handy to check, maybe someone else knows for sure..The only thing different i would do is rust bullet the area behind where the molding goes instead of paint. It's a rust prone area & paint won't offer the same protection.

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART
Thank you Qcode, I guess what I am really trying to get is part numbers so I can order them all at once.
That is an awesome thread.

What supplier are you going through? I'd just give them a call and tell them you need everything, absolutely EVERYTHING, needed to install them correctly.

Steve

[Image: 25yvyp3.jpg]
I read somewhere that the driprails were not needed on a lot of cars in the late 60s all the way up to when they were phased out. Is this true or did I just read a bunch of crap? I have thought about cutting them off to make a sleeker look but over time have actually started to like the classic look of them.

Sorry about this being kind of off topic.

Jayson
[Image: 36319488731_8f2a376549_z.jpg]
73 Mach 1 Mustang
89 Dodge Shadow ES
94 Jeep Wrangler

Qcode351mach;36874 Wrote:
MrMach71;36872 Wrote:Good evening,
Thank you all
I think that thread pretty much covers it ! You do need the thin foam seal I believe one of the members here can supply it (Hemikiller ?) if not him you can find it here http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3523/=e2c6eh I wanna say 1/16" thick x 1/2" wide but i don't have my moldings handy to check, maybe someone else knows for sure..The only thing different i would do is rust bullet the area behind where the molding goes instead of paint. It's a rust prone area & paint won't offer the same protection.

Let me get this right. You need to replace the gray gummy sealer material with foam rubber inside of the drip rail? THats not foam rubber inside the drip rail. Thats a body filler or some type of tar like filler, thats not foam.

2011 Buick Regal
2010 Ford F150 Screw
2002 Triumph Trophy
1973 Dodge Challenger RT
1972 Mustang Grandé Coupe
1954 Ford F100
[/quote]

Let me get this right. You need to replace the gray gummy sealer material with foam rubber inside of the drip rail? THats not foam rubber inside the drip rail. Thats a body filler or some type of tar like filler, thats not foam.
[/quote]
The foam is attached to the drip rail molding.. Here a pic stock just the way it came off the car..I have 2 complete sets one from my car & 1 from another car both sets have the foam rubber.

TheJ;36897 Wrote:I read somewhere that the driprails were not needed on a lot of cars in the late 60s all the way up to when they were phased out. Is this true or did I just read a bunch of crap? I have thought about cutting them off to make a sleeker look but over time have actually started to like the classic look of them.

Sorry about this being kind of off topic.
It's called shaving the drip rail..Unless your proficient with the mig / tig & metal work I would not attempt In other words it's not a job for a novice..Here's a thread to give you a rough idea
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showt...p?t=316157

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART
The misplaces the original roof drip rails that came with the car, I bought the one I have now from a friend of mine. They have been cleaned and polished so there is no foam no filler nothing.
Fellows I appreciate the words of wisdom.
Nice meeting you Fordication, and thanks for all the info you shared. I will try to pull that flathead out and take it to thunderbolt.

Clips, suppliers have them
Screws NAPA, home depot, lowes, hardware store
Foam tape, home depot, lowes, hardware store get a roll of foam insulation tape for pipes it is 1/8th thick, cut the width you need.
3M strip chaulk, NAPA or auto body store, goes in the drip rail and can be used by 1/4 window.
NO SILICONE

Ohio Mustang Supply
440-949-2556

[Image: oms_sig_banner.jpg]
Thanks Don.

Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DRIP RAIL MOLDING Pegleg 0 111 06-29-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Pegleg
  Roof rail thingy Fabrice 3 496 10-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Don C
  Refurbishing drip rail moldings 73429mach 7 696 09-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Last Post: 73429mach
  AC heater box vacuum line diagram mwilson7 3 484 08-02-2017, 09:21 AM
Last Post: mwilson7
  Refinishing/Restoring Aluminum Roof Rail Trim andy72 8 902 07-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Last Post: 73429mach
  Sealing Roof Rails mustang7173 3 819 06-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs
  Metal Tabs along Roof Rail Weatherstrip andy72 6 823 06-03-2017, 06:38 AM
Last Post: OMS
  Interior Trim Scews Roof Side Inner Moulding mustang7173 3 689 07-18-2016, 06:50 PM
Last Post: midlife