• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My car OVERHEATS!
Hi guys!!!... from several tries, i found out that my car tends to overheat when he runs for a while and then you park a few minutes with the engine on...

I have the warning light and it turns in those moments.. Of course, i turn the car off inmediately but something is wrong there...

I checked the usual things... the car has no licks but the water pump is not shifter in its axe....

As i am ordering some parts from the USA i´ll order a new water pump and new hoses... new temp sender just to know the warning light is turning on because of the heat and not because of a bad sender...

I´ll clean my radiator too in this days to have it good to go then...

Now... is this the right procedure or i am missing something??? Remember that being from Uruguay, everything i need to change, i have to buy now because the guy who import the car things do that every 2 or 3 monthes...

Thanks!!

Damián Cool

[Image: 120x45bk1ani.gif]
Vote For 7173Mustangs.Com Every Day!
Hi Damian - sounds like you got a great start on the usual suspects. I would do those things you described and see if that fixes the problem. If not, come back here and we'll come up with some more ideas. Smile

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
73vertproject;22716 Wrote:Hi Damian - sounds like you got a great start on the usual suspects. I would do those things you described and see if that fixes the problem. If not, come back here and we'll come up with some more ideas. Smile

Great my friend Wink I just hope i didn´t blew up the cylinder head gasket yet...

Anyway... this lot of parts are all for mechanical improvements... I´m gonna try to fix the breaks in order to connect the rear breaks too... I´m buying the distribution valve that i broke some time ago so, let´s hope it all comes out fine! Tongue I hate to spend money on non asthetic parts, je!!... but this car NEEDS to be reliable... i´m using it A LOT Smile

thanks!

Damián Cool

besides the radiator,

check the thermostat make sure it is opening.

check timing if your initial engine timing is too low that can overheat the engine.

check idle RPMS usually it should be in the 625-675 range.

the water pump would be next.

and checking that you have the correct fan and shroud.

i remember you posted asking about the fan shroud. the shroud makes a huge difference in dropping engine temperature.
72HCODE;22723 Wrote:besides the radiator,

check the thermostat make sure it is opening.

check timing if your initial engine timing is too low that can overheat the engine.

check idle RPMS usually it should be in the 625-675 range.

the water pump would be next.

and checking that you have the correct fan and shroud.

i remember you posted asking about the fan shroud. the shroud makes a huge difference in dropping engine temperature.

Hey Hcode!!

You remember it correct... i´m in need of a fan shroud but nobody has the 21 3/4" fan shroud that my car should have.. In fact, i´m not quite sure if this car had a fan shroud in the first time... If you know something about it, fell free to tell me!!!

Second... I dont have a thermostat installed... I´m gonna order one now because some friends told me it helps the last cylinder not to overheat or something like that...

I have a 4 blade fan that is supposed original... As i was saying, in this cooling matter my car was optioned with the extra cooling system that almost noone knows what does it mean in a I6 engine!...

Then.. then timming... yes... i have to check it out... It is not totally right because the car has no power and cold start is getting harder...

What do you mean with RPMS? sorry for not knowing it Sad

And yes.. water pump and radiator cleaning i should do just for mantainance so... that would be done 100%...

Any other thoughts!?? thanks!!!!

Damián Cool

Hi Damian, by RPMS he meant revolutions per minute at idle. I would think that you should definately have a shroud, because that would direct the airflow correctly. Good luck!

Steve

[Image: 25yvyp3.jpg]
sm3570;22727 Wrote:Hi Damian, by RPMS he meant revolutions per minute at idle. I would think that you should definately have a shroud, because that would direct the airflow correctly. Good luck!

Hey Steve! thanks for posting!... and thanks for the RPMS clarification.. in spanish i know what is that! Tongue

About the fan shroud... What can i do if the part doesn´t exist?? I can fabricate it for sure.. in fact... i can´t afford importing one 150 dollar part right now so.. if i fabricate one just to use in the meantime... is there anything that i should be aware or doing it just logical is enough??

Thanks!!!

Damián Cool

i don't know anything about the I6 engine cars did you contact Don at ohio mustang and ask him if he has a fan shroud for a Inline 6 car?
72HCODE;22746 Wrote:i don't know anything about the I6 engine cars did you contact Don at ohio mustang and ask him if he has a fan shroud for a Inline 6 car?

I did and it is not available or never been a fan shroud for this radiator (the original one)...

I6 engines came with a shroud that only did the top part, more thought for security with the blades than for cooling performance issues...

My car and his extra cooling option is even more rare than a typical 6 cylinder configuration...

If my car originaly came with a complete shroud and it is no longer reproduced i can do it in my shop with some time and patience and maybe, if it didn´t came with one but that can help the car to cool better i can still do a shroud that fits and works OK and using the car with it, in spite of not being factory original...

You know.. i realice that sometimes you need to find a valance between originality and drivability!!

Anyway... i just sent the order with the following new parts:

-water pump
-radiator hose set
-tempreature sender
-water thermostat

From there i´ll start trying to end this problem!

What do you think guys?

Damián Cool

for the radiator hose the lower hose gets a special anti collapse spring inside of it.

if you floor the engine the water pump can cause so much suction on the lower hose that it pinches shut and can cause cooling issues.
so there is a anti-collapse spring that ford put inside.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy0...T1=RH52+01

you put it inside the lower hose of the radiator and it butts up against the water pump inlet when you put the hose on, so the spring won't get sucked into the water pump.
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Car dies when I let go of key Robert sneed 3 266 04-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Last Post: icejawa
  lifting car and suspension damage SteveO_71 14 1,167 12-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Last Post: SteveO_71
  car is wobbling Mach1JB 27 3,060 06-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Don65Stang
  Car won't cut off... lexluger 12 1,941 02-25-2015, 09:57 AM
Last Post: guys72Mach1
Wrench Heater core replacement on non AC car?? imusa76 12 1,881 09-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Last Post: imusa76
  Car will not start and im running out of ideas oh dam 2 820 02-15-2014, 04:33 AM
Last Post: T-Tom
  Sounds when starting the car and running without a key kindersmach 7 989 02-15-2014, 01:02 AM
Last Post: JimNiki
  Car won't start in neutral parforever 6 852 01-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JimNiki