• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigghhhhh she won't run
My son and I loaded up for our first car show in the Sprint today......and she spit, sputtered, blue smoke, etc. I barely got her back in the garage. I had the fuel tank changed last week. Afterwards, the car ran like new.....flawlessly, it idled perfectly and accelerated like it had a 500 horse engine under the hood. Driving around town same thing: flawless. Then all of a sudden last night as I lightly touched the accellerator it shut down. I changed fuel filter again when I got home (Repair shop strained the original gas and put it back in new tank, it was snowing last week and I was too much of a wimp to lie outside in the white stuff)
anyway I am guessing.....guessing, perhaps the fuel pump is malfunctioning...I just ordered a new one I will see if that helps. I am perplexed as it runs prefectly then not at all. The carb is flithy with carbon now. This car sat for last 4 years. Certainly open to ideas. Thanks guys....this is a great site.

[Image: 33vc6z8.jpg]
Vehicles: 1972 Sprint Sportsroof CJ
2011 F-150, Lariat 4x4, Super Crew
Wow, that is weird! Hopefully, you didn't get dirt in the carb floats or anything. I hope the fuel pump fixes your problem!

[Image: 1gq8uo.png]
1971 Mach 1 - 306cid/C4 Bright Yellow
"Just relax, I've got a friend named Felix who can fix anything!" ~James Bond
I hadn't thought about the floats....there was a ton of dirt in the tank when I got her.....good idea.

Can of carb cleaner couldn't hurt...spray it while she is running. She'll snort, snarl and smoke like hell, but it should get any dirt in the carb out.

[Image: 1gq8uo.png]
1971 Mach 1 - 306cid/C4 Bright Yellow
"Just relax, I've got a friend named Felix who can fix anything!" ~James Bond
I bet there is some gunk in the carb. To check the fuel pump you can disconnect the fuel link at the carb and put in a small container to catch the fuel. Have someone turn the key and see if the fuel comes out the line. Have a fire extinguisher handy in the rare event something happens - safety first. Smile

rocketfoot;22494 Wrote:Can of carb cleaner couldn't hurt...spray it while she is running. She'll snort, snarl and smoke like hell, but it should get any dirt in the carb out.

That couldn't hurt, but would have to spray the carb internals with the cover off. If careful you woulnt need a carb rebuilt kit however, that may be a good idea too.

I think it was running fine then a bump caused a piece of curd inside the carb to break loose and blocked off a passageway, etc.

[Image: 386_07_10_13_5_58_42.jpeg]
My Mustangs:
71 M-code Mach 1, Medium Blue/White Sport, 4R70W, 3L50, Factory Ram Air.
72 Q-code Mach 1, Pewter/Black Sport, 4-spd, 3L25.
65 Convertible, Britney Blue/White/White, more modified than original.
05 Convertible, Legend Lime/Tan/Tan, future classic??
When i first got mine, it started acting up hesitating starving for fuel and finally shut off and would not start back up raised the hood and saw the filter was filled with trash so i got a new filter on it and it still would not fire off. So i pulled the line off the carb inlet and it was full of trash. I would pull carb off and soak it and rebuild to be on the safe side

[Image: 2zdx09d.png]
Yea,Tho i cruise through the valley of the shadow of rice,I will fear no Turbo,For Torque art with me.Thy rods and crankshaft,they comfort me. Big Grin Robert
Just had the same problem with my sons 72 trash in carb.

[Image: 20r9ylt.jpg]
Thanks all, We're goning to rebuild the carb! Easier then fighting with it.

Check the small filter on the inlet of the carb, i change the fuel filter inthe line, my car has an electric fuel pump and also change that one, and nobody knew thill my father in law tell me that maibe it has a small paper filter on the inlet of the carb and it was stuffed with dirt and metal from the gas tank
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RE: my engine run video yesterday... Pastel Blue 4 612 02-20-2017, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Bentworker
  Turn signal won't flash sdstang 7 625 02-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Last Post: 72HCODE
  Brake pedal won't fully return! Dfm503 6 646 01-14-2017, 08:31 AM
Last Post: DK73
  Shoulder Harness buckel won't stay clipped Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs 7 1,239 02-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs
  Car won't start in neutral parforever 6 852 01-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JimNiki
  Won't start - think I have a ground problem CZ-75 9 921 01-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Last Post: CZ-75
  Heater won't turn off tndt1 7 1,346 10-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Last Post: 72HCODE
  Engine won't stay running silvergrande 17 2,861 02-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Last Post: silvergrande