• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convertible Boot Molding
This eBay Listing is the first I've seen of reproduction 71/73 Convertible Boot Moldings (hockey sticks). This item has been on my wish list for a long time as my original ones are showing their age. A few months ago there was an eBay listing for some re-chromed ones for something like $888.00.

I don't see them listed at Ohio Mustang Supply or CJ Pony Parts either. Has anyone seen or bought these; I'm wondering about the quality? Or has anyone seen them available anywhere else?

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony

Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

[Image: 20180127_082009.jpg]

upload a photo on internet

That's pretty cool Mike. My parts wish list keeps growing.

Jeff T.

Low buck, touring style, '73 Convertible "rolling restoration", 351c, 2v heads with a shave and a haircut, Performer intake, Holley 650(ish), roller rockers, screw in studs, guideplates, stainless valves, Duraspark / Motorsports MSD, T-5 conversion. 1-1/8" front, 3/4" rear swaybars KYB shocks and some home brewed subframe connectors. Future plans; JGC steering box, Cobra brakes and... paint, interior, etc.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passenger.

[Image: 1_12_09_14_10_15_11.png]
Yeah, I found those moldings in an Ebay store a while ago. Someone also had repros of the rear seat side trim panels for convertibles for sale. I haven't found those parts with any of usual suspects so far.
The moldings are on my wishlist too, but I don't know about their quality either.

[Image: 1z21rv4.png]

Mike

"If I were you...... I´d rather be me."  Tongue

Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

$888 is a complete rip off. It's been there for years, no one in the right mind would that much. Easy solution, take yours only if there in good condition to a Chrome plating shop and have them rechrome it. You can probably get it done between $150 to $300. If yours are in bad shape you can buy used ones that needs rechroming for cheap. I did just that & mine look brand spankin new. I'll post pics later, but that's the best way for me.
Good luck.
sharpstang72;19742 Wrote:$888 is a complete rip off. It's been there for years, no one in the right mind would that much. Easy solution, take yours only if there in good condition to a Chrome plating shop and have them rechrome it. You can probably get it done between $150 to $300. If yours are in bad shape you can buy used ones that needs rechroming for cheap. I did just that & mine look brand spankin new. I'll post pics later, but that's the best way for me.
Good luck.

Mine have a few pits, but not too bad. Do they smoooth them out when rechroming? Who did you use to rechrome yours and how long did they take?

Mine had some pits as well and looked horrible. Yes they did smooth them out, sanded, cleaned, polished, then re-chromed. Whatever process they used, worked for me. I live in Maryland & this place is in kensington,md. Let me know if you want more info on the shop. You can probably talk to the owner, about shipping it if ur not local, pay by cc or paypal,& have it shipped back.
Just an FYI,only hockey sticks needs rechroming, center piece is stainless steel (cheap labor).

Hope this helps, good luck.
That's a great price if the quality is decent. I had the hockey sticks for my 69 vert re-chromed a couple years ago (Qual-Chrome, Erie, PA) and they ran over $400. Lifetime guarantee may have had something to do with the $$.

On my 73, the hockey sticks are it's only real weak point. They're original and have some very minor pitting and one scratch (typically costs me 1 point). Kinda wondering if I should go ahead and replace with repro's like that or go with rechroming. It usually takes about 5 - 7 weeks for rechroming so I usually have it done in the fall when I'm putting the car away for winter.
Bill73Ragtop;20665 Wrote:That's a great price if the quality is decent. I had the hockey sticks for my 69 vert re-chromed a couple years ago (Qual-Chrome, Erie, PA) and they ran over $400. Lifetime guarantee may have had something to do with the $$.

On my 73, the hockey sticks are it's only real weak point. They're original and have some very minor pitting and one scratch (typically costs me 1 point). Kinda wondering if I should go ahead and replace with repro's like that or go with rechroming. It usually takes about 5 - 7 weeks for rechroming so I usually have it done in the fall when I'm putting the car away for winter.

I'm curious about the quality of the reproduction ones so I would like to hear from someone that has bought them; so someone post up if you bought a pair.

Mine have been drilled for snaps 'all around'. It's easier to put the boot on but not nearly as clean of a look.

'Mike'
73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in:
will e;25773 Wrote:Mine have been drilled for snaps 'all around'. It's easier to put the boot on but not nearly as clean of a look.

I´ve been contemplating that idea too. I just haven´t talked myself into it yet. I never put the top boot on because it is too much fiddling.

[Image: 1z21rv4.png]

Mike

"If I were you...... I´d rather be me."  Tongue

Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DRIP RAIL MOLDING Pegleg 0 112 06-29-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Pegleg
  Boot Cover JohnnyJ 2 205 03-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Last Post: JohnnyJ