• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
FAUX TAIL PANEL MLDGS RESTORATION
I did a bit of experiment on the rear tail panel mldgs since the one's i have were good except for a bunch of pitting & a few dents..Someone posted up here how they used alum tape to fix up the chrome trim on a center dash piece..So here it is..A cheap fix...1--I used fine finishing auto body putty to smooth out the dents & pitting..sanded with 180...2--primed then scuffed with gray scotch brite--painted with rustoleum satin black..3---cut a smooth strip of alum tape--4--wrapped upper part of mldg with tape--5--polished alum tape with metal polish (same as the one in the tail lamp vid) I think they turned out pretty darn good & I saved a bunch of coin by not having to replace them (for now)

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART
That looks darn good!!!

[Image: 20r9ylt.jpg]
Nance;18414 Wrote:That looks darn good!!!
I can't believe myself how good it came outSmile..I wasn't expecting much, but said hey it's worth a shot..Goes to show ya never know till you try! I think the key too is having a nice smooth finish to apply the tape to..I tried it first with just cleaning up the mldg & you could see every little imperfection

Great job, I admire your patience.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony

Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

[Image: 20180127_082009.jpg]

upload a photo on internet

Wow that came great.
Verry nice work !! , is this real aluminum ??

[Image: hvrju1.png]
Mach1JB;18501 Wrote:Verry nice work !! , is this real aluminum ??
Thanks ! Yes it is real aluminum..It's tape they use in duct work

That looks REAL nice Q. I did not realize the 71, 72 (i am assuming) strips have a blackout on the trim. On my 73 they are all bright.

Jeff T.

Low buck, touring style, '73 Convertible "rolling restoration", 351c, 2v heads with a shave and a haircut, Performer intake, Holley 650(ish), roller rockers, screw in studs, guideplates, stainless valves, Duraspark / Motorsports MSD, T-5 conversion. 1-1/8" front, 3/4" rear swaybars KYB shocks and some home brewed subframe connectors. Future plans; JGC steering box, Cobra brakes and... paint, interior, etc.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passenger.

[Image: 1_12_09_14_10_15_11.png]
How well does the aluminum tape stick? Will it start peeling off if it gets heated up from sunlight?

[Image: 25rnz1y.jpg]

~Buddy
mach71351c;18492 Wrote:Wow that came great.
Thanks M !

droptop73;18523 Wrote:That looks REAL nice Q. I did not realize the 71, 72 (i am assuming) strips have a blackout on the trim. On my 73 they are all bright.
Thanks J..I think the black out is part of the mach 1 trim..But my car is a 72 Mach 1

Widowmaker00;18524 Wrote:How well does the aluminum tape stick? Will it start peeling off if it gets heated up from sunlight?
The tape sticks unbelievable !! heat makes it stick even stronger..There is no way it's going to unpeel

Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cowl Panel Repair downwardspiral 20 6,993 07-12-2016, 08:20 AM
Last Post: rafaelmd
  TAIL LAMP RESTORATION WITH --Q--VIDEO Qcode351mach 20 6,007 04-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Last Post: 73vertproject