• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just about to smoke test!!!!
Just about ready to smoke test my newly-rebuilt 351C. Spent yesterday with a few friends, donuts, coffee and Subway sandwiches getting it installed, and today spent an hour or two fixing a minor coolant leak, that sort of thing.

I've actually never been grateful for a problem doing an install. We were tugging the motor around to get the flexplate started on the torque converter, and one of the (original, 41-year-old) motor mounts broke. What I couldn't believe is that I called the local Checker Auto (I live in a VERY small town between Colorado Springs and Denver) and they actually had some in stock, and they were only $10 each! And not even imported knock-offs, either.

Still, it was worth breaking the motor mount during the install instead of it happening on the road someplace.

So, keep your fingers crossed. We'll probably fire it up on Tuesday after I tie up some odds and ends.
best wishes on the startup... your probably right, 40 years and needing replacing! You must be near Castle Rock? Been awhile since I drove that.
Few weeks hope to be doing the same with mineBig Grin

Alan L

[Image: 1_30_09_13_10_12_32.png]
Alan L
Sounds like we could be neighbors. I live in Monument close to the YMCA.

Steve

[Image: 25yvyp3.jpg]
I live up Baptist Road, not far from you. Actually, I could use your car as a knowledge base - if you have the standard 3-wire alternator, I can't remember how to hook mine up! It's really all that's preventing the start-up. Got a time you could sneak your ride over here for a quick look-see?
I know this is for a 302 but will this help

http://www.ehow.com/way_5506524_wiring-f...nator.html
I drove around for 3 years with both motor mounts broken, all the time wondering why my air cleaner was hitting the hood when I revved it up. Found out they were broke when I was putting in a new freeze plug under the header, that had popped out while I was in basic training. I remember that day....drove it about 10 miles with no water in it...

Damn my car has been through hell...

[Image: 25rnz1y.jpg]

~Buddy
danoreilly;16056 Wrote:I live up Baptist Road, not far from you. Actually, I could use your car as a knowledge base - if you have the standard 3-wire alternator, I can't remember how to hook mine up! It's really all that's preventing the start-up. Got a time you could sneak your ride over here for a quick look-see?

Wow, you're really close! Two problems with using my car: 1) it's got a 429, not sure if it's the same setup or not, and 2) I won't have it until mid-April! Dodgy

I'll ask my dad to snap a picture of the alternator and I can pm you.

Steve

Thanks! Unless it's been changed around to a 1-wire setup, it's likely the same thing.
I'm sure it is, I'll try to get something from him today. We should get together at some point to talk 'stang!

Steve

Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starter and a lot of smoke John J 13 576 05-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Last Post: jpaz
  SMOKE Machine Diagnostic Emissions Vacuum EVAP Leak Detector Tester mustang7173 0 323 01-23-2018, 07:51 AM
Last Post: mustang7173
  Bench test a gauge cluster? scgamecock 1 279 01-16-2018, 08:52 AM
Last Post: TommyK
  Amzoil to test 33 year old oil. Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs 14 2,064 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs
  Vacuum test results CZ-75 5 726 06-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Don65Stang
  Compression Test Results with white smoke rutkak 26 2,487 05-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Last Post: rutkak
  Grey smoke... CTGSTANG 5 841 11-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Joe
  Seeking Test Vehicles With Tachs- SoCal Area Wolverine 0 613 06-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Wolverine