• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Look what the daughter bought
Well she had been wanting a vehicle for about 6 months and she will be starting college classes this fall at the local community college. Found this on CL:
1986 F150 with a 5.0L and automatic. Runs and drives asking $1000.

We went to go see it last night and test drove it. Offered $800 and the took it with no haggling. Well that got me a little nervous, but the truck did sound good and drove straight.
I drove the truck home about 50+ miles and had no issues. I am going to pull all the wheels and check the brakes, the front two tires are worn with little tread depth left, and the window channel felts are mostly ripped and missing.
Sure the paint is faded and some surface rust on the hood, but the rest of the truck is solid, interior is in great shape, transmission seems to shift fine, the motor is fairly clean (no major oil leaks), and no ticks/knocks/or rattles.

I have to add this to the story. My three children have now formed a club. My oldest son has a 1981 F150 that he bought for $500 and fixed up. My second son bought a 1981 F150 (seen in the background of last picture) and fixed it up. This 1986 is the same body style and nearly everything is interchagable amoungst these three trucks. My second son gave his sister the LMC truck catalog and told her "Welcome to the F150 club!" Makes a dad proud that siblings get along and share interests.
You, your daughter and your sons have done well.

My daughter and I purchased a 1986 Ranger XLT 4X4 and spent time fixing it up for her college.
Hey 73grandeklar, Welcome to the 7th Gen F150 club!
I've got an 86 F150 short wheel base, regular cab, that looks very much like the truck your daughter bought. Is your daughters truck Shadow Blue Metallic, code 7B?

Here's a picture of mine.
[Image: truck2.jpg]

My father-in-law bought it new in 86 and gave it to me around 97 or 98. It started life with the 4.9L but I'm doing a frame off resto-mod on it, and it now has a 408W stroker. I lowered it 3 inches up front, 5 inches out back, boxed the frame, custom dual exhaust, eaton posi, etc. You get the idea. Currently, it's at Bay One Customs up in Springfield, TN for body work and paint, and I think I might let TC finish up the plumbing, wiring, and interior just to get it done. That way I can spend more time on the mustang. Wink

Ron
Rusty, a 1973 Mach 1, needs a lot of work.
Billy, a 1976 Ford Bronco, also needs a lot of work.
El Guapo, a 1986 F150, frame-off Resto-Mod.
Bubba, my 1994 F150, daily driver
Formerly, a 1973 Ford Mustang Coupe - a work in progress, then a car-b-qued banana.
73MustangCoupe;185522 Wrote:Hey 73grandeklar, Welcome to the 7th Gen F150 club!
I've got an 86 F150 short wheel base, regular cab, that looks very much like the truck your daughter bought. Is your daughters truck Shadow Blue Metallic, code 7B?

My father-in-law bought it new in 86 and gave it to me around 97 or 98. It started life with the 4.9L but I'm doing a frame off resto-mod on it, and it now has a 408W stroker. I lowered it 3 inches up front, 5 inches out back, boxed the frame, custom dual exhaust, eaton posi, etc. You get the idea. Currently, it's at Bay One Customs up in Springfield, TN for body work and paint, and I think I might let TC finish up the plumbing, wiring, and interior just to get it done. That way I can spend more time on the mustang. Wink

Sweet! I have not decoded the truck for original color, but the inside of the doors appears to be a light blue. The truck is painted a black (and not very good at that). I talked to my daughter and we may just give it a quick spray in satin black, blackout the grill, and remove the badges. Do the whole stealth federal government vehicle look. About the only upgrade she would like to make in the near future is add a dual exhaust. It currently has a y-pipe into a single exhaust. Also, she would like to restore the A/C to operating condition. It appears to all be there, but the pump will not turn on. Will check, but my guess is the freon has leaked out.
I love that series of F150! Classic, tough look.
1973grandeklar;185576 Wrote:
73MustangCoupe;185522 Wrote:Hey 73grandeklar, Welcome to the 7th Gen F150 club!

Sweet! I have not decoded the truck for original color, but the inside of the doors appears to be a light blue. The truck is painted a black (and not very good at that). I talked to my daughter and we may just give it a quick spray in satin black, blackout the grill, and remove the badges. Do the whole stealth federal government vehicle look. About the only upgrade she would like to make in the near future is add a dual exhaust. It currently has a y-pipe into a single exhaust. Also, she would like to restore the A/C to operating condition. It appears to all be there, but the pump will not turn on. Will check, but my guess is the freon has leaked out.

If the compressor won't cut on, will the clutch engage and disengage. My guess is the compressor has gone, which means that you'll need not only a new compressor, but condensor, drier, and orifice tube. Fortunately, in these trucks, that's SOooo much easier than in something like a Focus. But it will drive without AC, so it's not critical, but it sure is nicer with it. Smile

Ron
Rusty, a 1973 Mach 1, needs a lot of work.
Billy, a 1976 Ford Bronco, also needs a lot of work.
El Guapo, a 1986 F150, frame-off Resto-Mod.
Bubba, my 1994 F150, daily driver
Formerly, a 1973 Ford Mustang Coupe - a work in progress, then a car-b-qued banana.
THAT is a good buy!

67 Diamond Blue Vert

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRveIaRU6OAzTfd2Mv6ypG...mJJrHJ_B_Q]

DUDE

LOL even my sig line offended somebody!
Would love to find a deal like that for my son.....but here in Canada they are usually scrap at that price.

[Image: 1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png]

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little photo contest help for my girlfriend's daughter, need votes 552stroker 0 120 06-26-2018, 02:40 PM
Last Post: 552stroker
  Bought a '15 GT convertible! Vinnie 4 536 11-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Vinnie
  Met the daughter of Ford Rouge Engine Plant Manager Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs 1 407 07-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Pegleg
  Found and bought my father old Stang snakebite8 20 3,417 05-11-2015, 02:23 PM
Last Post: snakebite8
  I nearly bought a 72 Today midlife 3 669 06-21-2014, 12:07 AM
Last Post: Mustang Dynasty
  Bought the wife a new AWD Jim and Jutta 7 826 04-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Jim and Jutta
  Bought son new quad! turtle5353 5 549 02-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hyena429
  my daughter just reminded me of 40 years ago rpmcarter 6 687 12-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Last Post: rpmcarter