• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got the 351C overhaul started
Wrench 
Well, I finally got my rebuild for my '71 Mach 351C motor underway. I had a short (1 week or so) interruption to fight off a bout of pneumonia, but it's going.

First things first: I *KNEW* I had a big oil leak someplace, and once I got the motor pulled apart, it was obvious. The harmonic balancer is badly grooved and scored around its shaft, making it not seal through the front cover. So, that's on the replacement list (and I can't believe the number of people who media blast a balancer - including the collar on it). If anybody has one laying about in great shape, let me know. Shy

Everything is apart and is at the machine shop now. I didn't find any major damage to anything, and even the valves were in better shape than I suspected they might be. I hope to have everything back from the shop in about 5 or 6 weeks.

In the meantime, I'm going to have the valve covers & intake manifold powder coated, as the paint just ain't adhering to the aluminum manifold worth a darn.

Film at 11...
Got a balancer here. Look at pics,if intrested shoot me a pm with shipping info.
Jim

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am glad to hear you have apparently isolated your "oil leak" problems and that it wasn't as bad as you thought it might be.

What is the Machine Shop doing for you? I know you had indicated you were going to Hyper pistons, so I assume you are doing an overbore?

Keep us updated on the progress.

BT

Do the RIGHT thing.
cobra3073;9706 Wrote:I am glad to hear you have apparently isolated your "oil leak" problems and that it wasn't as bad as you thought it might be.

What is the Machine Shop doing for you? I know you had indicated you were going to Hyper pistons, so I assume you are doing an overbore?

Keep us updated on the progress.

BT

The machine shop is owned by a guy who REALLY knows Ford motors, and comes highly recommended by Ford guys around this area. Heck, we had a 10 minute discussion on oils when I "interviewed" him for the job.

I'm going for .030 over. I doubt I'll have to do anything to the crank, they're pretty bulletproof. I'm going with a Comp XE256H grind cam and hydraulic flat tappets (I'm on a budget, the extra grand for a roller setup put it out of reach). Stiffer valve springs, new locks & retainers. Hardened exhaust valve seats, new valve guides, better valve stem seals (both the machinist and I believe I'm losing oil down the valve stems from 40-year-old stock Ford seals). Roller timing chain setup, as the crappy OEM-style set I put on 3 years ago is already stretched almost to requiring replacement. I think I'm going to change from the KB domed pistons to Sealed Power flat tops, still staying with hypereutectic. I'll lose a bit in compression ratio, but after talking with my engine guy he's concerned about the KB pistons running so much hotter at the top compression ring and with much less tolerance for ring gaps.

---
71 Mach 1, bright red/black, 351C, FMX
67 Fairlane GT, black/parchment, 390, 4sp
If you dont have them already, get yourself a new set of SS one piece valves. This is the number one failure of stock cleveland engines, especially when bigger cams and stiffer springs are added to them.
The originals are 2 piece construction with the heads welded on the stem and the heads like to seperate.

[Image: mustangnight010.jpg]
1972 Mustang Convertible 351C 4V
1966 Ford Galaxie 7 litre-4speed

Jorge
jorgem2;9710 Wrote:If you dont have them already, get yourself a new set of SS one piece valves. This is the number one failure of stock cleveland engines, especially when bigger cams and stiffer springs are added to them.
The originals are 2 piece construction with the heads welded on the stem and the heads like to seperate.

x2 what he said
runninpony

in loving memory of my son ..Jason
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm reading every word of it, as I'm rebuilding the top end of my 351C right now. Although I have a 2V and won't be racing, a lot of what you are discussing is very relevent to my project. I'll be looking at one piece valves now, and I've got new lifters and springs and all that. How about the push rods? Reuse or replace (depending on the cost)?

Doc

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
SS valves are a must. I have broke a valve it wasn't pretty. Broke piston Bent rod broke piston skirt.
I use the SS valves from Alex Parts on Ebay. Very good stuff, nice price.

[Image: t5Banner.jpg]
Ive had 2 original balancers where the timing marks slipped. The rubber gets old. I finally bought a new one from summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PIO-872027/?rtype=10

Also when I had my 351 rebuilt I had to get a crank kit. So don't be surprized. Mark

My garage http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage...rxt_uid=40

73 mach 1 351c 4v cc ported, torker2, 750 edelbrock,C6.
73 fastback 351c 2v,performer intake,600 edelbrock,fmx, 325 trac-lok.
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1973 351C vacuum lines and eventual other questions scottyrocks 14 263 08-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Don C
  Correct 351C Power Steering Hoses? street rod mach 1 7 181 08-12-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: NOT A T5
  351c cam lobe ID. Have to measure lift Ryunker 8 285 07-23-2018, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Ryunker
  351c vs 351w Tnfastbk 11 5,860 07-14-2018, 02:57 AM
Last Post: MissingNo.
runninpony Have Not Started in 2 years blkulis 11 325 07-07-2018, 04:33 PM
Last Post: blkulis
  Holley Sniper on a 351c Fabrice 45 5,365 07-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Fabrice
  1971 351c m-code engine Meyer 8 468 06-23-2018, 06:14 PM
Last Post: keiths71
  351C M-Code engine Timing issue! Meyer 25 850 06-17-2018, 08:41 AM