• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Transmission scared me this weekend
My Niece got married this weekend, and the bridesmaid dresses were the same color blue as my '73 Vert, so they wanted to use it as a prop for some pics (I haven't seen them yet).

Anyway, on may way to my sister's house, I was getting a little rambunctious, and stomped on it on the freeway. Got it up to about 95, then backed off.

When I got off the exit, and pulled away from the first light, the transmission didn't want to shift out of first... It finally did shift, at just shy of 4,000 RPMs.... Then it wouldn't shift into 3rd (until just shy of 4,000 RPMs).

My heart sank. I am planning to put in an AOD tranny, but it is a few weeks out yet, and I don't want to have to tow it there (about an hour away).

So, I thought maybe the fluid level had gotten too low for the valve body to work correctly... but the dip stick looked OK.

So I limped home on the back roads until it occured to me that the tranny was acting as if it thought I was at wide open throttle (keeping it forced into a low gear).

I puled over, opened the hood, tugged slightly on the kick-down cable... and it came forward about a half inch.

Got back in, and THANK GOD, that is all it was... a stuck kick-down cable.

I lost 2 night's sleep over a stuck kick-down cable... rofl
At least it was an easy fix
Whew! Good thinking on the kick-down cable, and glad you got it fixed.

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
worthless of the bridesmaids. LOL Glad it was a simple fix Bro.

[Image: 28iw51u.png]
"I prayed to God he would change Johnny but his plan was to change me"

Gene Stallings
Yes - there are very few things that compare to squirting some extra fuel for that instant rush our cars can provide. But when we do that and then learn we have possibly damged our prized possession ---- well, it sucks.

Glad you quickly located the kick-down problem and fixed it. Is there an adjustment that might correct and make it not happen again?

Ray

1971 Boss 351  
1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 
1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 
1973 Mach 1 (parts car)
caspianwendell;129245 Wrote:At least it was an easy fix

And I figured it out before I emptied my CZ-75 into it.Cool

Boss1Ray;129268 Wrote:Yes - there are very few things that compare to squirting some extra fuel for that instant rush our cars can provide. But when we do that and then learn we have possibly damged our prized possession ---- well, it sucks.

Glad you quickly located the kick-down problem and fixed it. Is there an adjustment that might correct and make it not happen again?

Ray

The existing kick-down cable goes down right at the intersection of the throttle cable bracket, which is an Edelbrock adapter to line everything up with the larger carb. It got kind of wedged into that little groove between the bracket and the intake.

When I replace he FMX with an AOD in a few weeks, the kick-down cable will be replaced with a new Lokar cable... so I'm not too worried about it.
73vertproject;129257 Wrote:Whew! Good thinking on the kick-down cable, and glad you got it fixed.

+1 I know a transmission shop that would have had to rebuild your transmission to fix the problem.

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear
Jim and Jutta;129302 Wrote:
73vertproject;129257 Wrote:Whew! Good thinking on the kick-down cable, and glad you got it fixed.

+1 I know a transmission shop that would have had to rebuild your transmission to fix the problem.

Sounds like a shop to avoid Wink

You guys have no idea how relieved I was!!!! Big Grin

And Dan from Silverfox emailed me today. My wide ratio AOD will be shipped as early as Wednesday. With any luck, the transmission will be swapped next week!!!!Cool
banana
LOL!!
CZ-75;129240 Wrote:When I got off the exit, and pulled away from the first light, the transmission didn't want to shift out of first... It finally did shift, at just shy of 4,000 RPMs.... Then it wouldn't shift into 3rd (until just shy of 4,000 RPMs).

I have that happen too! I push down the pedal on the left and pull the lever in the middle and it happens all over again! Big Grin Sometimes it doesn't shift until 5500 rpm!

Jeff T.

Low buck, touring style, '73 Convertible "rolling restoration", 351c, 2v heads with a shave and a haircut, Performer intake, Holley 650(ish), roller rockers, screw in studs, guideplates, stainless valves, Duraspark / Motorsports MSD, T-5 conversion. 1-1/8" front, 3/4" rear swaybars KYB shocks and some home brewed subframe connectors. Future plans; JGC steering box, Cobra brakes and... paint, interior, etc.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passenger.

[Image: 1_12_09_14_10_15_11.png]
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  C6 Transmission shift position timsweet 4 171 08-06-2018, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Hemikiller
  Install Engine, Transmission, and Headers VasiliBrown 15 594 07-28-2018, 05:57 PM
Last Post: VasiliBrown
runninpony Engine and Transmission NOT A T5 8 340 07-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Last Post: BeerDontCount
  Transmission additive digithead 5 283 07-08-2018, 01:25 PM
Last Post: digithead
  C4 transmission crossmember for 73 Convertible Ballaratcastle 8 229 07-08-2018, 05:45 AM
Last Post: Ballaratcastle
  FMX Transmission casting number question? Monterey 6 549 03-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Vicus
Wrench 3 speed to 4 speed manual transmission swap? waterlife 9 1,085 02-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs
  Blue Thunder Install this weekend Omie01 22 1,544 02-01-2018, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Stanglover