• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
429 C6 conversion
I have a rebuilt 429 "N" code from a `70 Torino that I want to install into my 72 Cougar. I also have the C6 out of the same Torino, but it is a column shift trans. I really need some help to figure out what I`d need to change on the C6 to make it a floor shift for my Cougar. Is this at all possible? What do I need for the linkages? Are any of the linkages from the FMX usable? Are any of the linkages available? Do I have to keep the lockout that goes to the steering column? I'm sure most if not all of these questions have been asked a million times before but I could really use the help. Thanks very much for any information.

Mike
72survivor;129202 Wrote:I have a rebuilt 429 "N" code from a `70 Torino that I want to install into my 72 Cougar. I also have the C6 out of the same Torino, but it is a column shift trans. I really need some help to figure out what I`d need to change on the C6 to make it a floor shift for my Cougar. Is this at all possible? What do I need for the linkages? Are any of the linkages from the FMX usable? Are any of the linkages available? Do I have to keep the lockout that goes to the steering column? I'm sure most if not all of these questions have been asked a million times before but I could really use the help. Thanks very much for any information.

Mike

Here is some info on how I did it. http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162057

You can use the FMX shifter but you need to fab a linkage.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.
I thought this was a '71-'73 Mustang forum,
or am i missing something?

GregHuh

whistling LORD, MR FORD - JERRY REED
Well, They are our cousins! But, yes, it is for mustangs!

Here is a good site for Cougars.

http://www.westcoastclassiccougarinc.com/index.php

Thanks!

mustang7173
I wasn't looking to cause any problems, just trying to get useful info from people who have given this a shot. I've been on the Cougar sites for a while and not many have done this conversion. In the past, whenever I googled anything about 429 conversions I more often than not ended up being led back to this site. TommyK: thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
Austin Vert;129222 Wrote:I thought this was a '71-'73 Mustang forum,

GregHuh

Crownvic.net includes Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Cars...

Our luxury cousins need some horsepower help too. Big Grin

1973 Mach 1 Q code 351 4V, 9A paint, standard interior, 3.50 rear, C6 trans.
72survivor;129234 Wrote:I wasn't looking to cause any problems, just trying to get useful info from people who have given this a shot. I've been on the Cougar sites for a while and not many have done this conversion. In the past, whenever I googled anything about 429 conversions I more often than not ended up being led back to this site. TommyK: thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
No ProblemSmile!

As inferred, for the respective years, a LOT of the Cougar and Mustang parts are interchangeable.

I did this conversion (N Coded Torino with column C6) for my 1973 Grandé. As to parts, I simply told folks I was working on a 1971 C or J (429Cj?SCJ) Mustang. The link Tommy gave you is "right on" the money as to what you need to do.

Please don't hesitate to post up but any questions on your Cougar might receive "quicker" responses under the "Other Vehicles" Forum of this Site. You don't have to "own" a 1971 - 1973 Mustang to participate and we do have folks on the Site who are certainly willing to assist you with what you are doing with your CougarSmile.

BT

Do the RIGHT thing.
Austin Vert;129222 Wrote:I thought this was a '71-'73 Mustang forum,

GregHuh

It's pretty much the same car under the hood.
Why be so exclusive?

1971 Mach1
351C-4v
C6 is history-->>now TKO-500
cobra3073;129269 Wrote:
72survivor;129234 Wrote:I wasn't looking to cause any problems, just trying to get useful info from people who have given this a shot. I've been on the Cougar sites for a while and not many have done this conversion. In the past, whenever I googled anything about 429 conversions I more often than not ended up being led back to this site. TommyK: thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
No ProblemSmile!

As inferred, for the respective years, a LOT of the Cougar and Mustang parts are interchangeable.

I did this conversion (N Coded Torino with column C6) for my 1973 Grandé. As to parts, I simply told folks I was working on a 1971 C or J (429Cj?SCJ) Mustang. The link Tommy gave you is "right on" the money as to what you need to do.

Please don't hesitate to post up but any questions on your Cougar might receive "quicker" responses under the "Other Vehicles" Forum of this Site. You don't have to "own" a 1971 - 1973 Mustang to participate and we do have folks on the Site who are certainly willing to assist you with what you are doing with your CougarSmile.

BT

Sorry, I wasn't familiar with the Forum rules on this one.

Greg.Smile

whistling LORD, MR FORD - JERRY REED
check 
Absolutely!

mustang7173 welcome

cobra3073;129269 Wrote:
No ProblemSmile!

BT

72survivor,

You might need to find a busted C6 from a Mustang and or locate the parts themselves. The "F " code is for Mustangs.

[Image: osgvv7.jpg]

[Image: 2mg582c.jpg]

[Image: 2qntag6.jpg]

Source: Ford Motor Master Catalog

This might help.

mustang7173 Big Grin

72survivor;129202 Wrote:I have a rebuilt 429 "N" code from a `70 Torino that I want to install into my 72 Cougar. I also have the C6 out of the same Torino, but it is a column shift trans. I really need some help to figure out what I`d need to change on the C6 to make it a floor shift for my Cougar. Is this at all possible? What do I need for the linkages? Are any of the linkages from the FMX usable? Are any of the linkages available? Do I have to keep the lockout that goes to the steering column? I'm sure most if not all of these questions have been asked a million times before but I could really use the help. Thanks very much for any information.

Mike
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Efi conversion Cainsable 1 162 07-26-2018, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Don C
  429 valves springs spacer Fabrice 6 220 06-10-2018, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Fabrice
  429: What's this? How do I fix? Fabrice 2 220 04-14-2018, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Fabrice
  5-speed conversion questions scgamecock 7 730 01-11-2018, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pastorpat
  351C accesories fit 429/460? scgamecock 3 661 09-26-2017, 04:58 PM
Last Post: 73pony
  Bellhousing C9 AA-6392/4 for 429 & Toploader Higgins56 3 573 09-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Higgins56
  1971 429 cobra jet timing settings Stanglover 5 825 08-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Stanglover
  Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Conversion question 73pony 31 2,459 06-08-2017, 06:07 AM
Last Post: turtle5353