• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DETAILING THE UNDERSIDE
Doing up the underside of the 429 car I purchased last year..Lots of stuff that was done kinda not so good..Dumped those stupid air shocks..got rid of the hack extend-o shackles--pulled the tank to refinish with eastwood tank tone--got rid of the obnoxious unfinished exhaust system (have a new pypes 2.5 system with x pipe) Wire wheeled cleaned & prepped the the entire bottom..Applying 2 coats of s.e.m. flat black rust shield..more to come as we go Big Grin

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART
How did you wire wheel the entire underside?! Did you actually do it laying on your back under the car? I need to do something similar to this to my car. Great work!

2013 Ford Focus SE Flex Fuel 5spd - Daily Driver
I'm going to do this soon. Fortunatley my dad installed a lift in his garage 10 years ago. Has made so much of these jobs much easier. I would definitly wear a facemask with filter and full suit. A painters suit should do the trick to avoid all the dust and rust from wirewheeling.
I just thought of this, was there lead in the paint back in 71-73??
if yes then this brings up a whole new set of safety measures we need to take while stripping the paint, and under carriages of these cars.

and it figures I think of this after I'm done Confused

[Image: 2zem9nk.jpg]
Iyman
1972 Mustang convertible run_horse  
Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page

MechEng;128455 Wrote:How did you wire wheel the entire underside?! Did you actually do it laying on your back under the car? I need to do something similar to this to my car. Great work!

Look at the last pic..see the white marshmallow ...full suit..respirator..etc..not a paper dust mask..

Guys,

I am doing the same thing right now on my Mach. I have done this twice before on other stangs and it will turn out real nice but does take time on your back.

The process that I have used is...

Scrape away as much dirt/grime as possible with a small wood chisel. Don't press hard because you want to remove without gouging the paint.

Wire wheel with a very flexible wire on a drill...one that does not scratch too much or remove the factory paint. This works well where you have mostly dirt but if you have oil/grease then I use a preliminary step...

Get a rag and soak with laquer thinner and wipe as much oil/grease off as possible...then wire wheel.

After 90% of dirt and oil is gone then I use a spray bottle of something like purple power...spray on a section and scrub with pad to make sure all oil/dirt is gone and loose. Next rinse with water and let dry and your ready to prime.

Prime and then paint...turns out really nice.

Jeff
MechEng;128455 Wrote:How did you wire wheel the entire underside?! Did you actually do it laying on your back under the car? I need to do something similar to this to my car. Great work!
Thanks..Yep see the stands for the front wheels..drive up..then jack up the back...then jack stands..

We start by power washing the underside with simple green purple..

All & all it looks nice and solid.
Yep front drive ups are cool. Got some 2x10"s in the back yard. Thanks for the tip!

[Image: 28iw51u.png]
"I prayed to God he would change Johnny but his plan was to change me"

Gene Stallings
So what is the best respirator to wear when wire wheelin rust other than a supplied air hood?
Share Thread: