• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sold my Bright Lime '73!
Just wanted to let everyone know a lucky guy in Arizona hit the "Buy It Now" for $37,500 on my 73 Bright Lime Mustang and got one heck of a deal! Hate to see the car go, but now I can move on to the other 20 project cars begging for my attention.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CONVERTIBLES:
1F03M, Maroon Metallic, Black Dlx, Black Top, A/C, Tach, Posi, Magnums
1F03M, Grabber Lime, White, White Top, A/C, CA Car
1F03M, Maroon Metallic, White Dlx, White Top, PW
1F03M, Black, White Dlx, White Top, Tach, Posi
1F03M, Pewter, Black Dlx, Black Top, 4-Spd, A/C, R/A, Tach, Magnums
1F03M, Bright Blue, Blue Dlx, White Top, 4-Spd, Decor Grp
2F03R, Grabber Blue, White Dlx, White Top, Decor Grp, Tach, etc.
2F03R, Bright Blue, White Dlx, White Top, Decor Grp, Tach, etc.
2F03Q, Bright Red, Red Dlx, Rim Blow, A/C, Tach
2F03Q, Bright Lime, Black Dlx, Black Top, A/C, P/W, Tilt, Conv. Grp, Decor Grp
2F03Q, Grabber Blue, White Dlx, White Top, 4-Spd, Tach, A/C, Decor Grp, Side Stripes, Magnums, PW
3F03Q, Blue Glow, Blue Dlx, White Top, 4-Spd, A/C, Tach, Decor Grp, Side Stripes, Forged Wheels, PW
3F03Q, Gold Glow, Ginger Dlx, Black Top, 4-Spd, Tach, Decor Grp,  Side Stripes, Tu- Tone hood, Forged Wheels 
3F03Q, Copper Metallic, Ginger Dlx, Black Top, 4-Spd, Tach, Decor Grp, Side Stripes,  Tu-Tone Hood, Forged Wheels
3F03Q, Gold Glow, Black Dlx, Black Tp, 4-Spd, Tach, Decor Grp, Stripes,Tu-Tone Hood, Forged Whls
And 15 more verts, 2 Boss 351s and 2 M-code Mach I's! Tongue 
Congrats. That's a beautiful car!!

Kevin

1971 Mach 1
408C Stroker
C4 w/3,000 stall
8.8" Rear w/3.73's
Disc brakes all way around.

[Image: 28ivsix.png]

A real looker that car is! Good job on the sale!

Greg
Hi Kev,

Firstly, congratulations on the sale of your '73. I find your sale interesting as well. May i be bold and ask a couple of personal questions, as this is a learning curve for me. I understand if you don't wish to disclose any info for personal reasons.

$37,500.00 is not a bad price indeed. In theory, if i was buying your car here in Australia from you, it would probably cost me roughly around another 10,000.00 to 18,000.00 Aussie dollers extra to bring your car in and put it on the road on top of your asking price. That would bring the total cost around $54,000.00. That's intersting indeed!

I get the understanding that you have put a lot of work and money into restoring this car to bring it up to such a lovely standard. So if you don't mind me asking, did you employ people to do the resto work on the car, or did you do the work yourself? Also, you mention the lucky buyer of your car. Without disclosing amounts of dollers (unless you want to), did you find that you have spent considerably more money in total restoring the car, compared to what you got on the sale of the car. That would be interesting to know.

Lastly, i think your sale, and how fast you sold,reflects to some degree, how the market is going for '71-'73's in general, in terms of popularity and prices being achieved. It seams things are looking promosing indeed in some ways. I hope it wasn't too painful to part with her.

GregSmile

whistling LORD, MR FORD - JERRY REED
turtle5353;128326 Wrote:Congrats. That's a beautiful car!!

Thanks so much.

Austin Vert;128332 Wrote:Hi Kev,

Firstly, congratulations on the sale of your '73. I find your sale interesting as well. May i be bold and ask a couple of personal questions, as this is a learning curve for me. I understand if you don't wish to disclose any info for personal reasons.

$37,500.00 is not a bad price indeed. In theory, if i was buying your car here in Australia from you, it would probably cost me roughly around another 10,000.00 to 18,000.00 Aussie dollers extra to bring your car in and put it on the road on top of your asking price. That would bring the total cost around $54,000.00. That's intersting indeed!

I get the understanding that you have put a lot of work and money into restoring this car to bring it up to such a lovely standard. So if you don't mind me asking, did you employ people to do the resto work on the car, or did you do the work yourself? Also, you mention the lucky buyer of your car. Without disclosing amounts of dollers (unless you want to), did you find that you have spent considerably more money in total restoring the car, compared to what you got on the sale of the car. That would be interesting to know.

Lastly, i think your sale, and how fast you sold,reflects to some degree, how the market is going for '71-'73's in general, in terms of popularity and prices being achieved. It seams things are looking promosing indeed in some ways. I hope it wasn't too painful to part with her.

GregSmile

Thanks for the praise, Greg.

All good questions. On this car, I had a crew of six guys devoted solely to my projects. I was intimately involved with the entire process. Because they were working on five of my cars at the time, it's hard to break down how much each car cost to restore. But over 2 years, I spent $250,000 on labor, and God knows how much on parts and materials.

My relationship with those guys did NOT work out for me!! I guess I had $65,000 tied up in that car. So selling it for $37,500 was not sound financially.

But I learned a lot in the process that I can apply to my next project. And I truly did enjoy seeing the car come together. And I did get to enjoy it some by driving it around and taking it to shows. And considering the economy and the instability of the stock market since 2008, it's amazing the car sold at all.

One thing must be kept in mind. I love these cars better than anyone on the planet, and that love and joy and the knowledge from 35 years went into that car. It would not be fair to compare every other 71-73 to mine.

Yes, there are some nice ones out there, but typically most are pieces of Swiss cheese encapsulated in undercoating and bondo with a shiney paint job. Unfortunately, those are the cars people are selling and making money on. But I couldn't sleep at night if I did that to someone.

I don't know. I could talk and debate this subject all day long. Bottom line, be careful and do your homework when buying one of these cars, whether restored or unrestored. And be MORE careful when dealing with mechanics, and body guys, and restorers that promise you the moon.

Thanks.

Kevin.

turtle5353;128326 Wrote:Congrats. That's a beautiful car!!

Thanks!!

CONVERTIBLES:
2F03Q, Grabber Blue, White Dlx, White Top, 4-Spd, Tach, A/C, Decor Grp, Side Stripes, Magnums, PW
3F03Q, Blue Glow, Blue Dlx, White Top, 4-Spd, A/C, Tach, Decor Grp, Side Stripes, Forged Wheels, PW
3F03Q, Gold Glow, Ginger Dlx, Black Top, 4-Spd, Tach, Decor Grp,  Side Stripes, Tu- Tone hood, Forged Wheels 
3F03Q, Copper Metallic, Ginger Dlx, Black Top, 4-Spd, Tach, Decor Grp, Side Stripes,  Tu-Tone Hood, Forged Wheels
3F03Q, Gold Glow, Black Dlx, Black Tp, 4-Spd, Tach, Decor Grp, Stripes,Tu-Tone Hood, Forged Whls
Congrats on the sale, its nice to see these cars go for that kind of money, it lets us know that people like them!!

[Image: 2zem9nk.jpg]
Iyman
1972 Mustang convertible run_horse  
Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page

I agree. Thanks so much!

CONVERTIBLES:
Congratulations on the sale, and don't forget to tell the new owner about us
Very nice car. Hate to see you sell it, BUT if it helps to get another Q or R code ragtop back on the road then all is well.
Which one will be on the road next?

And btw - thanks for sharing your personal info on the lime car. I applaud your devotion the the cars.

I look forward to see another of your convertibles restored soon.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  
1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 
1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 
1973 Mach 1 (parts car)
caspianwendell;128359 Wrote:Congratulations on the sale, and don't forget to tell the new owner about us

Good point. Will do!

.jpg   8725_1161391887176_7590347_n (604x453).jpg (Size: 75.12 KB / Downloads: 105)
.jpg   8725_1161391767173_6670037_n (604x453).jpg (Size: 69.75 KB / Downloads: 103)
.jpg   8725_1161391807174_6776813_n (604x428).jpg (Size: 69.08 KB / Downloads: 103)
.jpg   8725_1161391847175_5726316_n (604x453).jpg (Size: 64.06 KB / Downloads: 103)
Boss1Ray;128371 Wrote:Very nice car. Hate to see you sell it, BUT if it helps to get another Q or R code ragtop back on the road then all is well.
Which one will be on the road next?

And btw - thanks for sharing your personal info on the lime car. I applaud your devotion the the cars.

I look forward to see another of your convertibles restored soon.

Ray

Hi, Ray. Thanks. Here's a pic of the next car before the resto. When finished, it will have a Black top and NOS Ram Air hood with complete functional Ram Air system. Have to love those earth tone colors from the 70's! This one is a H-code, which makes it perfect for a Ram Air tribute car (as everyone knows, you could only get functional Ram Air with the 351C 2V cars. And it's a realDecor Group car, one of my favorite options for these cars. Thanks again.

CONVERTIBLES:
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  71 vert sold for $42K Thin Lizzy 14 2,067 06-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Wolverine
  Any cars sold originally in Oklahoma? Boss1Ray 16 1,662 12-20-2014, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Boss1Ray
  Anyone missing a '71 Grabber Lime M-code project car? More VIN fraud? cudak888 12 2,001 08-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Last Post: cudak888
  Pics of Medium Lime Metallic w/ Red Interior mjlan 20 2,413 04-12-2014, 06:51 AM
Last Post: Mach1JB
  Sold the 73 convertible today 71mach351 5 742 09-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Don65Stang
  Why not sold mpbsr 8 1,042 06-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Totalled
  Check out my show/videostar Bright Lime 73 for sale on Ebay! kevken1959 17 2,226 06-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Last Post: kevken1959
  SOLD at MECUM 73StangCoupe 2 1,130 10-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mach71351c