• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I screwed!?!
While looking at some of my parts, I noticed a little chip on the side of one of my pistons. Does it need to be replaced? What do u guys think. On the picture, the chip is on the bottom right.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

THE HOOFBEAT IS LOUDER THAN THE HEARTBEAT!!!!!
SINCE 1964

Just my opinion but it looks too scored up to me, I would not use it just for that reason alone.
caspianwendell;128168 Wrote:Just my opinion but it looks too scored up to me, I would not use it just for that reason alone.

+1 to that....new set of pistons are not that much for a little peice of mind
nosdelacruz;128146 Wrote:RE: Am I screwed!?!

Yep, like the others said, I would replace it while you have the engine apart.

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear
Maybe do another pic or 2 from other angles but
Are you making a driver or race motor?
Alright, I'll look into some new pistons, hopefully not too expensive, I was planning on a street and strip application. My machinist said they looked fine and reusable when I took it to him... Hmmmmm.

THE HOOFBEAT IS LOUDER THAN THE HEARTBEAT!!!!!
SINCE 1964

I have a good set of 7 pistons that are 040 over for a cleveland if you need them let me know. they are speed pro i believe. Also 7 good rods with arp bolts. $50 plus ride

Kevin

1971 Mach 1
408C Stroker
C4 w/3,000 stall
8.8" Rear w/3.73's
Disc brakes all way around.

[Image: 28ivsix.png]

Those pistons are pretty scored up. I'd question the machinist also if he said they looked good enough to use over.
Forged pistons aren't that expensive for the peace of mind, especially since you mentioned street AND strip.

Build it right the first time, and you usually won't have to build it over again.
Try to scrimp and save a nickel and it'll cost you a dollar later.....
RacerX;128201 Wrote:Those pistons are pretty scored up. I'd question the machinist also if he said they looked good enough to use over.
Forged pistons aren't that expensive for the peace of mind, especially since you mentioned street AND strip.

Build it right the first time, and you usually won't have to build it over again.
Try to scrimp and save a nickel and it'll cost you a dollar later.....

+1

Very well said.
Ray

1971 Boss 351  
1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 
1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 
1973 Mach 1 (parts car)
As a racing buddy of mine is fond of saying "it only cost a quarter more to go first class"

I have some pistons to spare . . . . .

[Image: 1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png]

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!
Share Thread: