• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eyeball my carb...
[Image: 30my992.jpg]

[Image: 347d2r7.jpg]

Blows fuel out the top overflow. Replaced the float and the little brass valve and fitting. Dang looking at that pic there still some junk in there. I didn't have to adjust the float to 7/16 it was right on that out of the box.

Seriously that little float and the little brass pin hold all the fuel back coming from the fuel pump.

And on a side not that square thing on the second pic, the one with the lever. It's got a slow leak and that top left screw will not budge. Short of cutting it out and tapping any suggestions.

This carb problem gets one more shot. It aint got to be perfect just back her in and out of the garage. My only other alternative is go 4V and use that Holley 750. That's heads, manifold... you know the drill.

Thanks in advance.

[Image: 28iw51u.png]
"I prayed to God he would change Johnny but his plan was to change me"

Gene Stallings
Cole

If you want to go 4 barrel, you only need an intake. I even have an old 4 barrel intake for 2 barrel heads that is aluminum, but has all manufacturing marks ground and polished off. It is a dual plane and I'd bet it is an edelbrock.

I'd be happy to give it to you as I didn't realize it was for 2 barrel heads when I got it.

That square thing is your accelerator pump-if it isn't working, nothing else is going to compensate.

[Image: 1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png]

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!
Wow what a generous offer Jeff. Just feel if I have to take the manifold off I'm going 4v and not looking back. Have all the parts cept bolts and gaskets. Assuming I can reuse my 2v rocker arms.

I just dont get how that little pin thing holds back all that fuel.

Got a tip from a friend to take it apart and blow air and see if it seats. Try that tonight. Again thanks for the most generous offer.

Gene Stallings
With all that rust in the bowl, you ought to consider replacing the tank and or lines...

Edit: I see the fuel filter. I'd replace it.

But if you're thinking of going 4v... [Image: icon311.gif]

1973 Mach 1 Q code 351 4V, 9A paint, standard interior, 3.50 rear, C6 trans.
Thanks totalled. New tank and new lines already in. New pump and new filter. I took it off last night and going to do some work on the bench with it. But yea man 4v is looking better!

Gene Stallings
Motorcraft 2150. Everybody loves them because of their integral fuel bowl. I've had three of them - two of which have been utter nightmares.

Short of Jeff's very nice offer, you can always put a Holley 2300 in its place.

-Kurt

[Image: satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png]
How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:
Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.
Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.
Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.
Every freaking cuss word in the books! Readjusted the float and replace the thing in the accelerator pump (square do hicky) and it still pumps gas out the overflow. Took the carb top off and bent the tab on the float so only a about a half inch in the bowl would tap the needle into the seat. Still happens, gas pours everywhere. Friend suggested drain the bowl and blow air into the gas line and barely tap the pin and see if it shut the air off. Sure enough the slightest pressure on the pin and I cant blow any air through. I ain't screwing with this thing anymore. It's a real biotch to come along that car back into the garage, then all the gas fumes.

Tempted to hit Jeff up in a PM or just go 4v. I looked into gaskets for the 4v setup today and as usual my boot camp set in. Really you need to specify the thickness of the head gasket. Will I need pushrods and rocker arms? New head bolt set? Can you order those as a set?

Really really discouraged. May work on refinishing my console for a few days.

Gene Stallings
Send me your mailing address- I am trying to move some stuff out of my way to make room for my motor build.

Head gasket thickness is specified for clearance with High compression custom builds or odd lift cams. Standard basic Felpro gaskets are fine for a head swap on a stock bottom end.

I may have a solid lifter cam available if it isn't damaged. It would be a bargain, (but not free) if you need it

[Image: 1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png]

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!
Cole,

Looks like you have a EGR plate underneath your carburetor. Might want to keep it for prosperity or originality in the future. Definitely need to place it in the museum.

mustang7173
Sorry, buddy, but I had to grin as I read your post. Working on these old cars teaches us patience and the importance of a well-stocked fridge. Smile And I thought skinned knuckles would be the greatest of my problems... Tongue

While you're waiting for the stuff from Jeff and looking up old forum threads related to replacing your intake and carb and such, it'll give you time to tinker with the console. Don't be discouraged - it's things like this that build character, right? Angry

Just think of all the power you'll have once you've got that 4V intake and 750 on top of it. You'll have to buy an extra piggy bank just to save enough money for rear tires! banana

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Carb No Start icejawa 39 1,063 08-08-2018, 08:32 AM
Last Post: vintageman
  Time For New Carb? icejawa 35 1,372 02-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Ron Tanzi
  Carb Rebuild issues, please help! sciabola13 15 1,380 10-13-2017, 04:03 AM
Last Post: thomas1984
  4V Carb with 2V Intake 72FastbackWNC 2 694 06-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Last Post: TheRktmn