• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Project Smoothing the Engine Bay
Well, I've been working on my engine bay for what seems like forever (but really several months off and on), and I finally got it in primer yesterday. My goal was to clean up the engine bay, giving it a very smooth look that will be painted body color.

The first order of business was fixing the piece holding the upper apron and cowl together - The cowl and the piece both were completely rusted out.

Here is the repair on the cowl (under the piece connected to the apron)

[Image: 2rgl7h1.jpg]

Here is the piece after it as spot welded back in...

[Image: 5ebc3k.jpg]

The main area I focused on was the fire wall...I shaved the lip where the upper and lower cowl, and firewall meet. Obviously this is structural part of a uni-body, so to build integrity back into area I burned in some thick walled 1" by 3" square tubing from one side of the firewall to the other right below the lower cowl panel under the dash. Then I ran more tubing from this brace down to each rocker and back up to the A pillar. You can see where I plug welded the bracing to the firewall in these pictures.

[Image: bwjds.jpg]

I was never a huge fan of the 'hump' over the master cylinder where the wiper motor goes...So i just removed it...I have a plan to retrofit a later model motor so I don't lose my driverside wiper. (Passenger side is gone forever!)

[Image: 107l2x1.jpg]

Bye bye battery box...After all batteries aren't necessary, right?

[Image: 2qdmkhv.jpg]

Here she is as she sits today...This is the first coat of epoxy primer. I'm going to do some more body work to the passenger side and then spray a thick coat of 2k primer.

[Image: 5dqgq1.jpg]

[Image: dpgx03.jpg]

[Image: 21ak97d.jpg]
That's pretty sweet. Good work.

Steve

[Image: 25yvyp3.jpg]
Did this in my foxbody a lot of work but well worth it!
sm3570;127409 Wrote:That's pretty sweet. Good work.

Thanks! I'm going to try my hand at fiberglass for an engine cover and radiator cover next. I thought about trying it with metal but i don't want to add any more weight to the frontend.

I'm a little worried about the body work around the strut towers and apron/firewall joins. I welded the seams but I know these areas have a lot of flex and I don't want it to crack out. Anyone have any issues with this?
Wow! looks good....
T2 goodjob
I did my fox when i was 19 so i used more filler than i now like in sme areas. I romp on the car with frame connector haven had an issue yet
I really like what you have done there, looks goooood
That s a cool modification! Nice work.

Jeff T.

Low buck, touring style, '73 Convertible "rolling restoration", 351c, 2v heads with a shave and a haircut, Performer intake, Holley 650(ish), roller rockers, screw in studs, guideplates, stainless valves, Duraspark / Motorsports MSD, T-5 conversion. 1-1/8" front, 3/4" rear swaybars KYB shocks and some home brewed subframe connectors. Future plans; JGC steering box, Cobra brakes and... paint, interior, etc.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passenger.

[Image: 1_12_09_14_10_15_11.png]
WOW looks GREAT!
Looks great!!! Keep the pics coming.
-jbojo

-john
(jbojo)
351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,
C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at:

Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1972 Mach 1 Project - FL ITMike5.0 43 4,961 8 minutes ago
Last Post: ITMike5.0
  MuscleTang mod project thread (1971 M-Mach 1) tony-muscle 203 19,075 5 hours ago
Last Post: tony-muscle
  72 Grandé Coupe project, starting Fall 2017! vikingsandpintos 15 1,480 08-12-2018, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Boss1Ray
  Fabrice's 429CJ 71 project Fabrice 74 3,602 08-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Last Post: JRANGER
  My 1st 71-73 Project.. it's a great day! soonerbillz 16 1,297 07-11-2018, 01:31 PM
Last Post: soonerbillz
  My 72 HT 429/C6 project DerAlte 17 814 07-02-2018, 11:58 PM
Last Post: DerAlte
Wrench Danish 72 Mach1 330 Modular engine swap mach1daddy 48 5,098 06-17-2018, 06:30 AM
Last Post: Fredensborg
  Update & Pictures of my project Pegleg 13 630 06-07-2018, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Pegleg