• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something failed
Took the beast to the station for gas Sunday, after replacing the fuel sending unit.. On the way home I downshifted and romped on it and heard a thunk and the sound of metal scraping. Pushed in the clutch, rolled to a stop and engine died. Looked it over and saw nothing obvious, started it back up, ran shitty, eased across the street and it died again. Next start attempt was met with the starter not turning-just a damned "thunk".

Rolled it over the crest of a hill and on the way down tried to roll start it in 2nd gear at 20 miles an hour. Back wheels locked up.

Dragged it the last 200 yards homed with my brother's pick up and a rope and pushed it into the garage.

Stuck it on the battery charger and tried to enjoy the rest of my weekend.

Something broke and I fear the worst. I'll start by removing the starter and then the valve covers unless someone has a thought I'm missing

[Image: 1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png]

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!
Not sure if i would even bother with the starter since it's even locked up after trying to push start it. Drain the oil and take a look see if any parts or metal come out. If you see metal flakes in the oil then you know for sure its something internal. I agree with you with the Valve covers is also a great place to start for the obvious stuff before pulling the heads. Good luck with it.
I'm concerned it is at the flywheel/pressure plate-pulling the starter is a good way to get a look. I may be completely off base though. I figure the battery has to come out anyway, so the starter is easy. (It is a gear reduction starter, so it is easy to remove.)

I also plan to pull the plugs and try and turn the engine over by hand (unless I see damage)

It could be so many different thing that I see no point to guessing. I am going to look for the problem, but I am going to do it in a manner as if I am prepping to pull the engine. ie. Battery, starter, fuel pump (you can check the timing chain through the opening), valve covers, distributor, intake.

If I haven't found the problem by then, I'm draining everything and pulling the engine.

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!
Jeff73Mach1;126853 Wrote:I'm concerned it is at the flywheel/pressure plate-pulling the starter is a good way to get a look. I may be completely off base though. I figure the battery has to come out anyway, so the starter is easy. (It is a gear reduction starter, so it is easy to remove.)

I also plan to pull the plugs and try and turn the engine over by hand (unless I see damage)

It could be so many different thing that I see no point to guessing. I am going to look for the problem, but I am going to do it in a manner as if I am prepping to pull the engine. ie. Battery, starter, fuel pump (you can check the timing chain through the opening), valve covers, distributor, intake.

If I haven't found the problem by then, I'm draining everything and pulling the engine.

Sounds like you have a good game plan. I'd definitely say to pull the plugs and attempt to turn it by hand. Then pull the starter and try again. Pull the fuel pump and check the timing chain (thunk and scrape sounds like timing chain to me - maybe the fuel pump's mechanical arm somehow broke and is jammed in there now).

Best of luck - I hope it's something 'simple,' although what you described has pretty low chances of being just that.

Eric

[Image: mach1sig2.gif]
Does the clutch feel right when you depress it? can you actually feel it disengage?
That sucks jeff..I hope it did not hurt anything in there too bad.
Ouch! That sure does suck Jeff. I fear the worst. After pulling the plugs try rotating the crank by hand in the opposite direction and listen for clues.

Hopefully you won't but I have a spare block if you need it.

[Image: 386_07_10_13_5_58_42.jpeg]
My Mustangs:
71 M-code Mach 1, Medium Blue/White Sport, 4R70W, 3L50, Factory Ram Air.
72 Q-code Mach 1, Pewter/Black Sport, 4-spd, 3L25.
65 Convertible, Britney Blue/White/White, more modified than original.
05 Convertible, Legend Lime/Tan/Tan, future classic??
Clutch works and feels fine.

Timing chain failure seems unlikely, it is fairly low mileage-but I won't write anything off just yet. I had a friend's shop install the cam and timing chain and lately, it seems that the work I let other people do is always where I have problems.

I have a spare transmission, and a good buildable short block in the basement along with multiple sets of heads, intakes and a few usable camshafts even. I have been planning a short block rebuild ever since I went through the top end, so while the timing sucks, most of the work was in the future plans anyway.

Man, I'm sorry to hear about that, Jeff. Keep us posted.

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
i think your clutch blew apart.

if chucks were wedged up against the starter gear that would explain why the starter locked up and the engine ran bad because it was being loaded down big time.

would also explain why the driveline locked up.

i would pull the inspection cover on the trans and see if chunks come out. but i'm betting if you pull the plugs and try to turn the engine on the crank bolt it will be totally locked up because chunks have wedged up in the clutch area and jammed the crankshaft.
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tried to start for first time FAILED mikepasquale1 13 1,680 03-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Last Post: mikepasquale1