• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help chosing from disc brake conversion options
I have a 71 convertible with a 351c 2v and factory drum brakes. The car has a lot of miles on it, and I am in the process of doing a restro mod to improve performance and make it a good driver. I am just starting going through the front suspension, and having a hard time deciding where to go with brakes. I want to get the handling/braking taken care of before I start working on HP. My goal with this car is more cruise-worthiness than all out race.

I am seeing numerous different choices, and having a hard time deciding. I did some searching here but didn't find what I needed. I am hoping you guys can shed some light on it. Part of my problem is I am cheap, so I hate to spend money on something that isn't better, but am ok with spending more if it is truly better and worth it. Also, I have a set of 17" Wheels, so rotor size shouldn't be an issue.

Here are some of the options that I have been looking at-

- Cheap-
$475 - ebay kit with separate spindle/rotor, fits 14" wheels, small rotor and mediocre caliper. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200919660365?ssP...1423.l2649

- Mid-line -
$600 - Summit racing conversion, fits most 15" wheels, 4 piston calipers.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bk1226

- Slightly better?-
$800 - Master power kit, Fits most 14" wheels. Uses 4 piston calipers used on Shelby mustangs, 11.25" rotors.
http://www.mpbrakes.com/1971-ford-mustan...ilter_name=

- Best -
$1000 - Wilwood 140-12945, Requires 16"+ wheels, 6 piston calipers, 12.2" rotors
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKi...=140-12945

Any feedback would be great, I am sure I many of you have had to make a similar decisions. I am also open to any other options not mentioned.
I'm doing a very similar restomod to my 73 convertible. I highly recommend SSBC (Stainless Steel Brake Corp) available at National Parts Depot in Ventura, CA (Talk to Dane). SSBC makes conversion kits (Front and Rear) that will accommodate the factory 14" or 15" wheels, and at a reasonable price. As far as your suspension goes.... Talk to John at OpenTracker Racing Products up in Carmel Valley, CA. He and his wife, Shari are awesome! I have a few threads floating around with pictures of the components I've installed on mine. Check them out!

Good luck!

- Travis

I'm an analog man in a digital world.
Mr_C;126628 Wrote:I have a 71 convertible with a 351c 2v and factory drum brakes. The car has a lot of miles on it, and I am in the process of doing a restro mod to improve performance and make it a good driver. I am just starting going through the front suspension, and having a hard time deciding where to go with brakes. I want to get the handling/braking taken care of before I start working on HP. My goal with this car is more cruise-worthiness than all out race.

I am seeing numerous different choices, and having a hard time deciding. I did some searching here but didn't find what I needed. I am hoping you guys can shed some light on it. Part of my problem is I am cheap, so I hate to spend money on something that isn't better, but am ok with spending more if it is truly better and worth it. Also, I have a set of 17" Wheels, so rotor size shouldn't be an issue.

Here are some of the options that I have been looking at-

- Cheap-
$475 - ebay kit with separate spindle/rotor, fits 14" wheels, small rotor and mediocre caliper. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200919660365?ssP...1423.l2649

- Mid-line -
$600 - Summit racing conversion, fits most 15" wheels, 4 piston calipers.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bk1226

- Slightly better?-
$800 - Master power kit, Fits most 14" wheels. Uses 4 piston calipers used on Shelby mustangs, 11.25" rotors.
http://www.mpbrakes.com/1971-ford-mustan...ilter_name=

- Best -
$1000 - Wilwood 140-12945, Requires 16"+ wheels, 6 piston calipers, 12.2" rotors
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKi...=140-12945

Any feedback would be great, I am sure I many of you have had to make a similar decisions. I am also open to any other options not mentioned.

Another option is a disc set up off a parts car
I sell the spindles, prop valve, pedal, booster and M/C, calipers all brackets - usually consider M/C and calipers cores
This lets you use standard Ford parts from any parts store
Depending on condition 250.00 and up

Ohio Mustang Supply
440-949-2556

[Image: oms_sig_banner.jpg]
I also have Opentracker parts on my car. Very good people to do biz with. As for brakes i can mention that after i bought my car i had dropped a ton on a new vert top installation and tires, as well as some engine parts. so i tried to improve the factory brakes before replacing the system. New rotors, high quality pads, stainless steel lines all around, new rear brake cylndrs, springs and shoes. I was impressed how much better the OEM system worked. not a new 4 piston set up, but worked a LOT better. not enough for autocross but works for street driving. Put it in reverse, backup to 20mph and stomp the brakes. rears adjust fine!
^^^ What Don said. Probably the most economical way forward, and you're using actual Ford parts that will be available at just about every parts store when it comes time to replace the consumables. Beats waiting on mail-order for Wilwoods or something else not normally sold locally.

Eric

[Image: mach1sig2.gif]
I went with Bear Brakes on the front of my '68 and love them. I have Wilwoods on the rear because the were less expensive and I like their E-brake setup.
I heard of this place called Vintage Venom. They sell brackets so you can use modern Mustang Cobra brakes on the older cars. It's worth looking into.
I am going with factory spindles and upgraded rotors and calipers
I went the route don mentioned. I got the whole setup from a 72 convertible and it was an easy bolt on with all ford parts and it works great!

Kevin

1971 Mach 1
408C Stroker
C4 w/3,000 stall
8.8" Rear w/3.73's
Disc brakes all way around.

[Image: 28ivsix.png]

I have a couple of sets
Have a nice set with good rotors
I would consider the booster, M/C and calipers cores for rebuilding or replacement.
Here are some pics

.jpg   013.JPG (Size: 82.49 KB / Downloads: 143)

.jpg   014.JPG (Size: 80.47 KB / Downloads: 139)

.jpg   016.JPG (Size: 80.01 KB / Downloads: 137)

Ohio Mustang Supply
440-949-2556

[Image: oms_sig_banner.jpg]
OMS;127139 Wrote:I have a couple of sets
Have a nice set with good rotors
I would consider the booster, M/C and calipers cores for rebuilding or replacement.
Here are some pics

Don,
now with this setup what about the brake pedal, is it different between manual drum, and power disc?

I'm asking because I was thinking next year upgrading the brakes to manual front disc, and I like the Idea of keeping with the Ford parts for the consumable purpose.
I currently have 4 wheel manual drum brakes.

[Image: 2zem9nk.jpg]
Iyman
1972 Mustang convertible run_horse  
Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page

Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electric servo pump conversion Robsweden 6 155 08-17-2018, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Don C
  73 Master cylinder/brake booster combo LOUHABY 10 332 08-16-2018, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs