• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frustrating day
Yesterday i got my block and rods etc. back from the machine shop, they did all the work including hone,bore, and install cam bearings. I began to install the motor this morning and everything went smooth as can be. Did the rods, pistons, crank, bearings etc. when i went to install my camshaft i found out that my new cam won't go into the last bearing. i tried to spin it and everything and it wouldnt spin or go any further. i thought i would try putting in the old cam i had and it did the same, so i know it's not the cam. my question is after installing all the bottom end, do i need to take it completley apart to put new cam bearings in it? Any idea what can be done? thanks

THE HOOFBEAT IS LOUDER THAN THE HEARTBEAT!!!!!
SINCE 1964

No you should be able to change them out or bring back to the machine shop and ask wtf

This is more than a hobby, its a Passion, its a way of life.
mikleins29;126475 Wrote:No you should be able to change them out or bring back to the machine shop and ask wtf

+1 take it back to the machinist and tell them to fix it
I would take it back and have them finish the short block. It'll save some headaches and IMO is definitely worth the $$. They may have installed the wrong cam bearing.

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
Thanks, ill forsure go backe Tuesday to discuss the problem with him. Do u know if he is going to have to take everything apart or can he just pound them out and put new ones in?

THE HOOFBEAT IS LOUDER THAN THE HEARTBEAT!!!!!
SINCE 1964

They have a tool that presses them in from the cam hole
It is possible the bearing is either mushroomed slightly from installation or cocked in the bore.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.
TommyK;126549 Wrote:It is possible the bearing is either mushroomed slightly from installation or cocked in the bore.

+1 to that..My freinds 350 chev we worked on had a cam bearring cocked a bit ..He ended up having to tap it back in place him self...The company he got the motor from went out of bis before he could install the motor..So no way to get anyone to fix it but us..lol
TommyK;126549 Wrote:It is possible the bearing is either mushroomed slightly from installation or cocked in the bore.

X2

Jeff T.

Low buck, touring style, '73 Convertible "rolling restoration", 351c, 2v heads with a shave and a haircut, Performer intake, Holley 650(ish), roller rockers, screw in studs, guideplates, stainless valves, Duraspark / Motorsports MSD, T-5 conversion. 1-1/8" front, 3/4" rear swaybars KYB shocks and some home brewed subframe connectors. Future plans; JGC steering box, Cobra brakes and... paint, interior, etc.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passenger.

[Image: 1_12_09_14_10_15_11.png]

Yep, that's my guess. They can remove the pesky bearing without bothering the bottom end. Again, I'd take the cam, timing chain and gear, and timing cover and have them do all that before you bring her back home.

Doc

[Image: 6y14ea.jpg]

Project started 8-7-10
Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system
Current "mini-project": interior upgrade Undecided
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sad Day Mac 3 535 06-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Last Post: mrmach1
  Happy Father's Day Indeed! Mr Mac 1 816 06-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Last Post: rocketfoot