• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
car is wobbling
Guys i realy need you help on this one.

When i drive my mach at 60/70 mph the car starts to wobble. ( i hope i use the right word for it !? )

Its a whining noise an a feeling that the car shakes every 1 1/2 second.

It's the same feeling as when there is a loose wheel on the car.
I have new tires , shocks front and rear , new transmission mount.

Has this something to do with the rear end or motor mounts !??

Please advice me,

JB

[Image: hvrju1.png]
Does the steering wheel shimmy back and fourth? or does the whole car shake? does this happen on acceleration or deceleration? Have you checked the driveline, u joints etc.?
Mite be rear end...could be out of balanced tire...Mite of lost a led weight...but the whining sound says it mite be a little more than that...and +1 to what caspian says....Check that drive line and see if its loose..See if the u joints clunk....and all that....I had a wheel bearing go out on me...But it did not make my car wooble...But it mite if the bearing is ready to drop your axel out...You could jack it up and see if your rear wheels are lose too. while you check the drive line and such.
Hi JB,

I had a 73 Mach 1 years ago that did the same thing. Have you had the driveshaft off recently? If so, did you mark it for re-installation in the same orientation? I had replaced U joints on mine and just re-installed the driveshaft without regard as to its previous orientation. My car would shake at 65 MPH but not at 70 or above. It would also not shake below 65 MPH. Anyway, I removed the driveshaft and rotated it 180 degrees to start with. I took it out for a test drive and all shaking was gone and I never had another problem with it. If you haven't had your driveshaft off recently, maybe you lost a wheel balance weight?

Steve
73 Mach 1 Blue Glow/Argent Q Code C6 Auto
73 Mach 1 Blue Glow/Argent Q Code 4 Speed
I drove the car an hour ago and listened very carefuly.

It's not a whining noise realy , it's more a vibrating noise.
This was the first time i drove it on the highway , till 60 mph i don't feel a thing.
above 60 mph the car starts to vibrate , when i accelarate it's gone for a few seconds till i hold it on a higher speed , then a second later it starts again.
I never took of the driveshaft , maybe the previous owner did for some reason !?
I realy think the vibration comes from the driveshaft so i will check the u joints first.

Thanks for the input sofar,

JB

JB,

I'm no expert here, but I did lose a drive shaft doing about 40 mph. It was definitely an "I have to change my underwear right now" moment. You may have a problem with the u joints or even the rear end. Check it out before you drive it. Let us know what you find out.

[Image: 1_24_09_13_4_29_06.png]
If you bought the tires locally, that shop might be willing to re-check the balance. If not the tires or wheels they can put it on the lift for a good inspection. You problem reminds me of a tire/wheel balancing issue I had with a 71 Ford pickup. Two leaded weights on the (inside of) wheel came loose. I thought it was everything but that.

What I'm trying to say is rule out the easy stuff first. Or maybe easy/cheap...

Ray

1971 Boss 351  
1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 
1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 
1973 Mach 1 (parts car)
I would rule out the tires and have them rechecked for balance. Years ago I had some new tires that sat for a long time. When I drove it things were fine, then it felt like the car was bouncing.
The bouncing got worse and was taking the car to a alignment shop when the front right tire exploded. Towed car to shop, all 4 tires were defective and have thrown belts. The internal belts on the tires had deformed for sitting for a long time. When I drove the belts started to shift inside the tires and eventually failure occurred. Check the sidewalls of the tires for deformation or bubbles as well.
Make sure the drive shaft u-joint at the rear end is fully engaged into the cups. If not, pull it and check that the bearings were not damaged during your test drives (might be work a check anyway).
finaly my parts arived a few weeks ago , i replaced the drive shaft u joints and the upper ball joints.
My car drives like a Cadillac now...

Now i have to take care for some overheating issues and i'm ready to go.

Thanks for the replys guys

JB

Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Car dies when I let go of key Robert sneed 3 266 04-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Last Post: icejawa
  lifting car and suspension damage SteveO_71 14 1,167 12-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Last Post: SteveO_71
  Car won't cut off... lexluger 12 1,941 02-25-2015, 09:57 AM
Last Post: guys72Mach1
Wrench Heater core replacement on non AC car?? imusa76 12 1,887 09-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Last Post: imusa76
  Power Steering pulley is wobbling jhawk635 10 1,047 02-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Last Post: wwhite72
  Car will not start and im running out of ideas oh dam 2 820 02-15-2014, 04:33 AM
Last Post: T-Tom
  Sounds when starting the car and running without a key kindersmach 7 990 02-15-2014, 01:02 AM
Last Post: JimNiki
  Car won't start in neutral parforever 6 852 01-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JimNiki