• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1972 Shelby Europa
Anybody ever seen anything like these or heard of them. I met the owner and invited him to the forum but I didn't have a clue of what I was looking at. Thought you guys might to see some pics.

Here is a link to mustang monthly on these very cars

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredve...ewall.html

[Image: 33cbul2.jpg]

[Image: 2v1unna.jpg]

[Image: a3fnk3.jpg]

[Image: 25ilxsj.jpg]

[Image: 5d9heh.jpg]

[Image: ehbq8i.jpg]

[Image: sf8apu.jpg]

the rear trunk spoiler is custom by him

Who knows he may show up on here and comment on his car.
Those are really rare and this may be the only one not in Europe
See http://www.ponysite.de/sheleur.htm

The Shelby Europa was offered as a fastback (sportsroof) and convertible, both powered by a 351. Acc. to french and dutch sales literature they were offered in a G.T.500 version as well.
One at least had a 351 race engine with a 780cfm Holley carb and 360HP, another one a 429 with a Drag Pack option and closely 400HP.
The cars were not allowed to be re-imported to the US due to the then stronger safety and exhaust emissions regulations. Due to the high fuel prices, the demand for a Shelby Europe was not really big, only scandinavians did not care as for most muscle cars in that period. Only 14 Shelby Europe were built and sold in 1971 and 1972. 9 are currently accounted for and on file of the SAAC.
There were 3 in the Netherlands, however the third dutch Shelby Europe of C.V. Bastiaanse has been stolen in 1987 and never appeared again. Watch out for a red one. One of the other one not yet found is the white 429 equipped Shelby Europa.

Only 2 of the 14 made are convertibles and both are currently owned by Rauno Harvima in Finland. NOTE: I guess staement this is incorrect?

I'd trade my 72 sprint convertible for it. Shy

Vamach1 - 72 Sprint conv & 72 Mach1
If you ran across one how can you tell if it is real?
There are two Shelby Europa convertibles owned by Rauno Harvima of Finland. I know the owner, those cars are sweet and restored. That Mustang monthly article is pretty good and obviously Rauno had been interviewed. Once I bumped in to this forum I was thinking that I should try to get Rauno to visit here and make a presentation of his Shelbys. Rauno is a doctor and he's having a family so his time is limited and the rest of the time goes in his corral!!! In the first pictures where are the owners, it says that 1 convertible is owned by Ville Rajala of Finland. He was the previous owner of the green convertible before Rauno. I've seen the green Shelby Europa GT-350 convertible many times when I was still a young boy, since the previous owner lived close to my hometown. Rauno is very knowledgeable with Mustang restoration and his nick name is Doctor Mustang.

I'll need to tell you, that US Muscle cars were very inviting back the day but the price tag was 4 time bigger than the standard cars had in here. Imagine, they are selling today the new 5.0 GT Mustang in Finland for $120.000US, onehundred and twenty thousands - I AM NOT KIDDING. Now you can probably understand why the US cars are not so common in here or why we don't "like" them so much - unfortunately though.
Finmach;123684 Wrote:There are two Shelby Europa convertibles owned by Rauno Harvima of Finland. I know the owner, those cars are sweet and restored. That Mustang monthly article is pretty good and obviously Rauno had been interviewed. Once I bumped in to this forum I was thinking that I should try to get Rauno to visit here and make a presentation of his Shelbys. Rauno is a doctor and he's having a family so his time is limited and the rest of the time goes in his corral!!! In the first pictures where are the owners, it says that 1 convertible is owned by Ville Rajala of Finland. He was the previous owner of the green convertible before Rauno. I've seen the green Shelby Europa GT-350 convertible many times when I was still a young boy, since the previous owner lived close to my hometown. Rauno is very knowledgeable with Mustang restoration and his nick name is Doctor Mustang.

I'll need to tell you, that US Muscle cars were very inviting back the day but the price tag was 4 time bigger than the standard cars had in here. Imagine, they are selling today the new 5.0 GT Mustang in Finland for $120.000US, onehundred and twenty thousands - I AM NOT KIDDING. Now you can probably understand why the US cars are not so common in here or why we don't "like" them so much - unfortunately though.
It would be so damn cool if Rauno joined Big Grin
caspianwendell;123687 Wrote:It would be so damn cool if Rauno joined Big Grin
When I had just bought my Mach 1, Rauno visited our Mustang meet at the central Finland. He had back then at least the green GT-350 convertible in his collection, he was looking my Mach 1 grill... It should have the tribar pony as you all know, but my grill had and still has a Cobra instead of the pony. Rauno of course knew that it's not the original equipment on my Mach but he also knew that my Mach had then a strong 351c 4v in it, he was looking the grill for a while and said "it should have the tribar but you got a stroooong engine, so you can keep the Cobra" Wink I will contact Rauno and ask if he would be able to spend a little of his time for this great forum.
I thought the Shelby Europa's were never to be reimported back in to the usa?
and also the Marti Report states nothing about "Shelby, or Shelby Package"
and I thought the DSO would have been 99, or "New Jersey" beacuse thats where they were shipped through.

[Image: 2zem9nk.jpg]
Iyman
1972 Mustang convertible run_horse  
Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page

imusa76;123698 Wrote:I thought the Shelby Europa's were never to be reimported back in to the usa?
and also the Marti Report states nothing about "Shelby, or Shelby Package"
and I thought the DSO would have been 99, or "New Jersey" beacuse thats where they were shipped through.

I know all the conversions were done over seas so probably would not show up on a marti report. And since it could not be imported back to USA, how could it be tagged here? I don't know much about the europa's but I know this one has the wrong grill. I smell a fake here (or could just be the baked beans) Big Grin
imusa76;123698 Wrote:I thought the Shelby Europa's were never to be reimported back in to the usa?

Maybe so, but think about it: What about the VIN would prevent it from being considered different than any other Mustang by the powers that be?

-Kurt

[Image: satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png]
How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:
Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.
Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.
Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.
After doing some research, this is what I found.
The 2 Convertibles made were 1971's not 1972's
the VIN's are 1F03M154425 and 1F03M202545
also as stated before they are owned by the same owner Rauno Harvima in Finland
one is Grabber Green, the other is Med Brown Metallic.
they All Shelby Europa's had a DOS of 33 (Detroit) because they were Ordered through Bob Ford in Detroit.

I got the info from the following web site.
http://www.ponysite.de/sheleur.htm

so I think the above car is not a Fake, just a Clone Shelby Europa and not the real deal!! But it is still a nice looking car.

[Image: 2zem9nk.jpg]
Iyman
1972 Mustang convertible run_horse  
Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page

Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1971 - 72 Shelby Mac 17 1,569 05-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Last Post: NOT A T5
  1972 antenna type c9zx 11 559 05-03-2018, 07:07 AM
Last Post: red351