• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front Coil springs
Hey there...

I have a 73 Mach 1 that I bought from someone going after a G car type thing. The rear had lowering springs on it, and the front has grab a track 750 coil springs.

I changed out the rear, to stock height Summit leafs, so it sits pretty much where I want with 15" rims running 295/50/15

The front is causing me issues...

I pulled out the shock, and tried to insert the internal claw type compressor. The 750 springs are incredibly thick, so I cannot seem to get it to work.

I thought about the ball joint method, where you lower the control arm slowly and spring decompresses, however, being that the Mustang has the spring to the UCA which is almost fully extended under load, I cannot see how this would work.

With springs that thick, should I try external/strut type compressors?

For lowering the car between 1 to 1.5 inches, should I cut these ones (I keep reading that these springs are 'race only'), buy stock replacements and hack a half coil at a time, or buy the suspension techniques 1" lowering springs on summit?

I think if I use the 750 isolators and stock springs, I will already have a 1" drop from what I have read.

Keep in mind this is the biggest project I have attempted on this newly aquired car, and my reading skills out weight my actual doing skills.
You didnt mention how it rides, only the height. If you cut 1/2 a coil from the spring you have i believe you will get a 1" drop, but of course it will be a slightly stiffer spring. As for compressing them, maybe a bigger claw compressor tool? Would be cheaper than getting injured.
I would go with the Scott Drake springs that fit 67-73, part # C7ZZ-5310-P. They are 600 pound rated and lower the car approx 1". They are around $75. Seems like a way better way to go than experimenting with what you have and the one's you have are going to be really stiff, especially if you cut them.

Jeff
I built a spring compressor from designs off of dazed.home.bresnan just for our cars. Works great! Here is the thread I posted when I built it. You can either build your own. Or if you like, I'll loan it to you for shipping both ways.
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-musta...compressor

[Image: 2rr7aiv.png]

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.
Thanks for the replies...

I took the compressor apart, and fished in the bottom part and then put the top in. I compressed the spring, but the rod bottoms out into the perch so its impossible to take the spring out. I have read about placing a piece of pipe as a spacer to prevent bottoming, but cannot get my head around where the spacer would go or how big. Sorry guys, I am determined to do this one myself, please expect more dumb questions.

Muswagon;122145 Wrote:Thanks for the replies...

I took the compressor apart, and fished in the bottom part and then put the top in. I compressed the spring, but the rod bottoms out into the perch so its impossible to take the spring out. I have read about placing a piece of pipe as a spacer to prevent bottoming, but cannot get my head around where the spacer would go or how big. Sorry guys, I am determined to do this one myself, please expect more dumb questions.

K, I figured out where the spacer goes, just have to make/find something that works or a whole ton of washers. Don't know how it rides, have not driven it yet Smile We had the worst winter on record and the snow is finally gone (month late, I live in Winnipeg). So, just working out the kinks. Here is a pic of what look I am going for. I have the same tires and the sportlite version of these rims. My car is the same color.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Try sliding the compressor in "upside down" and turn the nut by fishing the wrench through the spring.

Jeff T.

Low buck, touring style, '73 Convertible "rolling restoration", 351c, 2v heads with a shave and a haircut, Performer intake, Holley 650(ish), roller rockers, screw in studs, guideplates, stainless valves, Duraspark / Motorsports MSD, T-5 conversion. 1-1/8" front, 3/4" rear swaybars KYB shocks and some home brewed subframe connectors. Future plans; JGC steering box, Cobra brakes and... paint, interior, etc.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passenger.

[Image: 1_12_09_14_10_15_11.png]
Great idea!
I can tell you that I really do not like messing with these front coil springs. Marks home made compressor is the style I would recommend. I ended up buying one on ebay a couple of months ago from a guy in Texas who makes and sells them regularly. It is a little pricey, but well worth the investment and comfort level when you are installing those springs. I installed both of mine with the upper control arm in about 10 minutes each. I then went back and removed and re-installed the drivers side after seeing the top coil bushing was pinched around the rim of the top mount. Removal and re-install was about 15 minutes on that side.

BKDunha
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)
67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)
i use the 620lb front lowered springs.
the lowered springs do not require much compression before you can release them, but you could also jack the lower suspension arm up on that side then tighten the compressor and release the jack and see if the spring is loose in and can come out, before the bomb goes off.

i used this type of compressor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTJ5I8

I've used the claw type and the internal finger version and they are all scary as hell to use. the 620lb springs on mine are very thick like the 700+ version so i went with this type of compressor, it was still VERY scary but i only needed to compress a small amount to pull it out. with the front end on jack stands i then inserted the OTC compressor tightened it up snug, then jacked up the suspension arm from underneath tighted the compressor till i couldn't go anymore. and slowly lowered the lower arm. the spring came right out. i carefully moved it out of the way, and released the compressor VERY slowly.... I REALLY HATE front springs.!

now using that OTC tool it was a little involved in setting it up. and i had to use it upside-down from the instructions the instructions show the nut tighter coming out the bottom of the car, impossible on our fords has to come out the top through the shock mounts. onces i had everything lined up it took my big hands a little time to get the locking pin into the compressor ball joint through the center of the large spring coils but i did it Big Grin. and and follow the directions about lubing up the threads, very important. i used some bearing grease i had around.
There is an easy and quite safe way to compress or remove springs that I have described here.
Not sure if it will work for you because I don´t know how your compressor works.
If you cut the coils they get much stiffer. I have the 620 lbs ones with 1 inch lowering from Mustangs Unlimited and I have cut one complete turn off of them to achieve the stance I was looking for and they are pretty stiff. Almost like a new car with a lowered setup.
Given that you have the 750 ones, I would be careful because you might end up with something similar to the compression ratio of a iron rod. Smile

[Image: 1z21rv4.png]

Mike

"If I were you...... I´d rather be me."  Tongue

Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need coil spring/ride height help mbrew2 5 248 07-20-2018, 04:04 AM
Last Post: mbrew2
  Looking for new leaf springs RadRacer203 18 913 07-14-2018, 09:47 PM
Last Post: c9zx
  Ford Front Suspension Support Tool by Tommy Zees mustang7173 33 3,924 07-04-2018, 02:50 AM
Last Post: NOT A T5
  Coil OVer rear shocks digithead 13 449 06-10-2018, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Hemikiller
  Rear Leaf Springs worn out? digithead 15 614 06-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Last Post: c9zx
  front disc brake conversion nailpounder 16 970 05-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Stanglover
  front rotors Copestang 11 802 01-16-2018, 03:02 PM
Last Post: secluff
  Front disc brake swap master cylinder? Horsin' Around 10 745 12-18-2017, 09:58 PM
Last Post: imusa76