• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need 73 A/C Help!
Anyone have a 73 only with A/C they can look at that can tell me if this is where the vacuum can goes? Only place I found that the holes line up for the studs. And of course they moved everything around in 73.
[attachment=15190]

[Image: 2rr7aiv.png]

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.
Mine seems to mount lower. Is yours mounted to the tower or apron?

Mine is on the tower. Wait... sorry I'm looking at the cannister. I'll have to look at mine to know for sure.

Jeff T.

Low buck, touring style, '73 Convertible "rolling restoration", 351c, 2v heads with a shave and a haircut, Performer intake, Holley 650(ish), roller rockers, screw in studs, guideplates, stainless valves, Duraspark / Motorsports MSD, T-5 conversion. 1-1/8" front, 3/4" rear swaybars KYB shocks and some home brewed subframe connectors. Future plans; JGC steering box, Cobra brakes and... paint, interior, etc.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passenger.

[Image: 1_12_09_14_10_15_11.png]
droptop73;121344 Wrote:Mine seems to mount lower. Is yours mounted to the tower or apron?

Mine is on the tower. Wait... sorry I'm looking at the cannister. I'll have to look at mine to know for sure.

It's the cast iron coat colored canister in front of the vapor canister I'm refering to. I talked to Chuck but 72's are in a different spot.

I believe you have the two reversed, I am pretty sure that the carbon canister goes down low .
marks73;121333 Wrote:Anyone have a 73 only with A/C they can look at that can tell me if this is where the vacuum can goes? Only place I found that the holes line up for the studs. And of course they moved everything around in 73.

Vacuum canister goes low and the carbon canister has 3 mounting bolts next to the shock side. Attached pics.
-jbojo

-john
(jbojo)
351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,
C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at:

yhea 71-72 those are reversed the charcoal can is by the heater core and the Vacuum can is on the passenger shock tower.

73 they changed the mounts and put them like jbojo pictures.

this is the 71-72 position
[Image: 100_1272.jpg]
72HCODE;121373 Wrote:yhea 71-72 those are reversed the charcoal can is by the heater core and the Vacuum can is on the passenger shock tower.

73 they changed the mounts and put them like jbojo pictures.

this is the 71-72 position
[Image: 100_1272.jpg]

Only problem is I can't see Jbojo's picture. Nothing there.

It was posted last night, now I see it is missing.

It matched your photo in post #1

The vac down by heater core at 45 deg angle. And the charcoal can on the shock tower with 3 bolt mount

I think the reason it changed in 73 was there was more regulation to filter out gas fumes, they added another line from the Egr valve or something requiring the canister to be much longer and it no longer fit above the frame rail under the heater core piping so they had to move it up on the shock tower and put the vac can down there due to the firewall hole placement for AC cars and the heater control valve etc.
72HCODE;121418 Wrote:It was posted last night, now I see it is missing.

It matched your photo in post #1

The vac down by heater core at 45 deg angle. And the charcoal can on the shock tower with 3 bolt mount

I think the reason it changed in 73 was there was more regulation to filter out gas fumes, they added another line from the Egr valve or something requiring the canister to be much longer and it no longer fit above the frame rail under the heater core piping so they had to move it up on the shock tower and put the vac can down there due to the firewall hole placement for AC cars and the heater control valve etc.

Very cool! Cool Thanks guys my A/C was already removed when I got it.

additionally on the engine bay aprons for the holes for the canisters there should be a sheet metal re-enforcement on the backside of the sheet metal.
it will be small plates spot welded in those areas they are suppose to prevent the aprons from deforming in the mounting areas when you hit a bump. the same plates are behind the horn mounting holes and the window washer container.

those plates trap water and usually rott out. so on the replacement aprons they are always missing. good way to tell if your car has had sheet metal replacement.
Share Thread: