• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I Unzipped My Zipper Yesterday
fyi 
Made you look! Big Grin

I was cleaning up my 73 Convert for a car show yesterday and squeezed into the back seat to clean the inside of the rear convertible top glass window. While I was cleaning it I remembered I had never unzipped the window since I had the new top installed in 2010, so I unzipped it and cleaned all the corners of the glass.

The zipper worked well and was easy to unzip, but when I tried to re-zip it I couldn't get the zipper started. Finally I decided to unlatch the top and put the top down about a quarter of the way, then it was easy to re-zip the window. Part of the problem could have been that the temperature was only about 50 and the vinyl was not stretching. No big deal, but I thought I would pass on this tip in case any other convert owners had the same problem.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony

Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

[Image: 20180127_082009.jpg]

upload a photo on internet

Great title Mike.

That used to happen all the time to me on the 65. One day I rubbed a bar of soap on both sides of the zipper and it solved that problem. Or it may have been candle wax...can't remember due to 15+ years ago when I did it. Whatever it was it worked great. Seems like it was soap though.

[Image: 386_07_10_13_5_58_42.jpeg]
My Mustangs:
71 M-code Mach 1, Medium Blue/White Sport, 4R70W, 3L50, Factory Ram Air.
72 Q-code Mach 1, Pewter/Black Sport, 4-spd, 3L25.
65 Convertible, Britney Blue/White/White, more modified than original.
05 Convertible, Legend Lime/Tan/Tan, future classic??
Don65Stang;120971 Wrote:Great title Mike.

That used to happen all the time to me on the 65. One day I rubbed a bar of soap on both sides of the zipper and it solved that problem. Or it may have been candle wax...can't remember due to 15+ years ago when I did it. Whatever it was it worked great. Seems like it was soap though.

The zipper was easy to zip once I got it started, I just could not stretch it quite enough to get the two pieces together to start zipping.

That's pretty normal. If you try to zip it with the top fully closed it has too much tension and the zipper won't go in.
Opening it a little is the way to go.

[Image: 1z21rv4.png]

Mike

"If I were you...... I´d rather be me."  Tongue

Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

I was worried about the title but you would have gotten more attention if you unzipped HER zipper, and took care of some cracks. Wait...I hope this is in the VIP forum Angel
Hey Guys,

Can i jump in here and make a quick point in passing which may not have been raised in the forum so far. (Sorry if it has).I have recently installed a new Robbins roof for the vert, and was worried about to unzip or not when pulling the top down. My pro trimmer said yes to unzipping only.That did not add up to me, so i made further enquires.

My point is that i ended up consulting my '73 factory owner's manual for reference, and to my surprise, it clearly stated that the owner has THE OPTION TO UNZIP OR NOT WHEN PULLING THE TOP. YOU GET THE OPTION.

As most of the forum members don't unzip the top, including myself, why bother going to all the trouble of doing that when there is really no need.The main thing the manual states is keeping ALL OR ANY objects out of the back roof well area that the rear window lays down in, as that will cause the glass to break as it did in my case.

GregSmile

whistling LORD, MR FORD - JERRY REED
Austin Vert;121012 Wrote:Hey Guys,

Can i jump in here and make a quick point in passing which may not have been raised in the forum so far. (Sorry if it has).I have recently installed a new Robbins roof for the vert, and was worried about to unzip or not when pulling the top down. My pro trimmer said yes to unzipping only.That did not add up to me, so i made further enquires.

My point is that i ended up consulting my '73 factory owner's manual for reference, and to my surprise, it clearly stated that the owner has THE OPTION TO UNZIP OR NOT WHEN PULLING THE TOP. YOU GET THE OPTION.

As most of the forum members don't unzip the top, including myself, why bother going to all the trouble of doing that when there is really no need.The main thing the manual states is keeping ALL OR ANY objects out of the back roof well area that the rear window lays down in, as that will cause the glass to break as it did in my case.

GregSmile

Just a guess, but could it mean that it gives you the option to drive with the top up while the backlite is unzipped and lying in the "well"?
Because that's what I sometimes do when it gets too hot to sit in the sun for hours. So I cruise with all the windows down, inlcuding the backlite.

[Image: 1z21rv4.png]

Mike

"If I were you...... I´d rather be me."  Tongue

Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Driving on a hot sunny day with the windows down and back glass unzipped provides wonderful ventilation
Austin Vert;121012 Wrote:Hey Guys,

GregSmile

In addition, I'm always careful of what I put in the trunk under the well area, you don't want to jam anything in that area that will push up the well vinyl and possibly break the glass when the top goes down.

Hi Mike (Lux),
To answer your queiry, the manual gives you the zip option when instructing the owner to raise or lower the top. It relates to this action specifically.

GregSmile

Mike,
How right you are. That's a very good important point as well.

GregSmile

whistling LORD, MR FORD - JERRY REED
Share Thread: