• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade Q code heads for 4V exhaust manifolds
Greetings,

I have a pair of Q code 4V heads that I would like to trade even up for a pair of 4V exhaust manifolds.

The heads are bare and have been checked for cracks. They are not beat up, warped, or damaged in anyway.

The M code convertible we are doing was built in Dec of 70 so a 0J, 0K, or 0L casting would be very cool but any year 4V set up would be fine with me.

I hope this is a good trade for someone in the group. I have been looking for a set for a few weeks now and they seem to be selling for the same price or even a little less than a decent set of open chamber cores.

Thanks and I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

- Paul of Mo
Paul, what are 4v manifolds going for these days?

[Image: 386_07_10_13_5_58_42.jpeg]
My Mustangs:
71 M-code Mach 1, Medium Blue/White Sport, 4R70W, 3L50, Factory Ram Air.
72 Q-code Mach 1, Pewter/Black Sport, 4-spd, 3L25.
65 Convertible, Britney Blue/White/White, more modified than original.
05 Convertible, Legend Lime/Tan/Tan, future classic??
Don65Stang;120964 Wrote:Paul, what are 4v manifolds going for these days?

I recently missed a set within 200 miles of my house that sold for 100.00 on CL. This was a really low price. I have seen them for around 200.00 to 300.00 a set on both CL and Ebay and actually sell. There has been a listing on Ebay that gets relisted over and over again for 275.00 per side but never gets any bids.

I have seen rebuilable 4V open heads advertised for 200.00 or higher and they also seem to actually sell. 400.00 and up for closed.

I just bought a set of correctly dated closed heads for our project for 375.00 and was the first caller. They had been "refreshed" which means new stem seals and a valve lap. I pulled the valves and they are all marginally OK and will be fine for a weekend driver.

Our M code Convert had a 1970 302 out of a Mach one and a past owner still had the original vin stamped 351 block that he let me have. The drivers door had been donated by the same Mach 1 as the 302. I think it is cool that the door and the engine managed to stay together all these years.

I hope this helps someone out - it will certainly help keep our project moving along.

- Paul
I meant the exhaust manifolds from a 4v car. Lol
However your prices for the heads are in the range for what I've been seeing them sell for. I haven't seen too many exhaust manifolds offered for sale though.

My Mustangs:
Does anyone know what the casting number is, I have a couple of extra sets
Casting number is above the outlet, heres a pic I pinched of E-Bay for ya,

Anything is possible, It just takes time and MONEY....
Don65Stang;121096 Wrote:I meant the exhaust manifolds from a 4v car. Lol
However your prices for the heads are in the range for what I've been seeing them sell for. I haven't seen too many exhaust manifolds offered for sale though.

Sorry for the confusion - the prices I quoted were for exhaust manifolds. I added the head pricing in the next paragraph just for comparison. My bad.

If you add "site:craigslist.org" to the end of a google search you will get listings nationwide for CL. A nifty trick. This is how I found the 4V heads all the way over in Ardmore Oklahoma - The only reason I got them was he had missed spelled "cleveland" and used a 2 digit year in the title. This cut way down on his views. He had started at $450.00

One set of exhaust manifolds just sold on Ebay for $230.00 with 9 bids.

You are correct that the exhaust manifolds do not come up as often.

I am just trying to not mess with selling the heads to raise funds for the manifolds and then having to hunt down the manifolds. I hate selling things online recently as it seems to generate a huge amount of spam/scam emails and unwanted proposals from foreigners.

Thanks,

Paul of MO

don29163;121149 Wrote:Does anyone know what the casting number is, I have a couple of extra sets

Thanks for the reply - it is near where the manifold bolts to the exhaust pipe. It is a Number, Letter, Number, Number and looks like it was bolted to the manifold but is part of the casting.

the year is the first number - 0 for 1970
the letter is the month - A for January, B for February and so on
the last numbers are the day of the month they were cast.

So the perfect manifolds for my December 9th of 1970 built 1971 Mustang would be:

0J## or 0K##

I normally do not get this "precise" on my projects but I have all the parts needed to do a matching numbers car except the exhaust manifolds.

Turning up the original VIN stamped block actually started me on this quest.

A past owner had got the bare block from the previous owner when he bought the car and just shoved it in back of his shop. He sold the car to the guy I bought it from who had no way to haul the block home so he did not take it. When I called this guy about the title still being in his name he was cool and said that would not be an issue and BTW did I want the original block for free. It cost me $90.00 to truck freight a bare block from Virginia to MO.

I had a correctly dated intake in my stack of stuff and the vin stamped C6 is still in the car.

Hope everyone is having a great week.

Paul of MO
Going on memory here, but didn't you pick up a couple of verts a couple of years ago to replace one from your younger days with your wife? Seems like one was complete but sitting outside forever and the other one was stashed away in a barn or something. Is this car one of those or did you find another one?

See, now you'll have to retell the story. lol

My Mustangs:
Don65Stang;121266 Wrote:Going on memory here, but didn't you pick up a couple of verts a couple of years ago to replace one from your younger days with your wife? Seems like one was complete but sitting outside forever and the other one was stashed away in a barn or something. Is this car one of those or did you find another one?

See, now you'll have to retell the story. lol

I do not mind repeating stories - Just ask my wife.

You are correct - we bought a 73 Convert that was totally apart but had everything tubbed and labeled and only needed quarter skins, outer wheel houses, trunk floor, and tail light panel. That seems like a lot but from the rear door jams forward it was perfect and it came with most of the new metal needed to fix it. It is a high optioned car including power windows.

Knowing I would need all the odds and ends to put it back together I told my son to find us a parts car. He found 2 converts for 1400.00.

Went from 0 to 3 convertibles in less than 10 days!

One had been in a barn for many years and one had set outside the barn and rotted for many years. Both had titles and were complete so we hauled them home.

The barn car was a 1971 M code and the rot car was a 73 H code.

In the trunk of the barn car was all the ram air stuff - did not know this until we got it home.

The 71 is rough but we are in it so cheap that I can afford to restore it and when the original block showed up that just sealed the deal.

The 73 we are doing now has all the metal work done and is starting to go back together. It is going to be a very nice ride.

The other Mustang has now been cut in half (plasma cutters are fun) and both halves are soon to go away. It has donated many useful parts.

- Paul of Mo
I'm surprised I remembered some of those details. lol

It's good to hear about the progress you've made. Post up some pics in the what did you do today thread.

My Mustangs:
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  72 Q Code, what do you think? Thin Lizzy 8 302 08-03-2018, 01:56 AM
Last Post: Thin Lizzy
  351c headers / manifolds Nige 2 277 05-28-2018, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Hemikiller
  stainless steel exhaust Nige 4 251 05-09-2018, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Hemikiller
  Need advice 1972 Q-code/4 speed project Pheadrus 6 721 03-30-2018, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Harry365
Stop 72 Q Code 4 spd & Air Value SLO-RIDE 7 779 12-20-2017, 10:03 AM