• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headers I removed from my 71
Its been time for a while to replace my headers for years. but I new long time ago it would be a nightmare. Rusted and they had some cracks in the collectors. With my deployments in the Army I didnt have sufficient time to fix the issue. Finally have the time and got them off yesterday.

2 Days and not happy about the removal of the DS header. They are old Blackjack headers modified to fit. Probably put on sometime in the 70's or 80's not sure. The guy who did the work was really determined to get long tubes on. Complete clutch setup had to be remove unbolted the steering box to maneuver it some also. They fit good though, no obstructing the function of clutch or steering.

Hoping a set of tri y's will help alleviate some of the problem of new headers. I would go back to the stock manifolds but the exhaust is custom welded stainless dual exhaust all the way back. not in the mood to re-engineer at this point.

Looks like those headers have been re-engineered at some point.
Never meant to fit this application otherwise. 2 rear tubes were extensively redone.
You'll most likely need to modify the H-pipe no matter what.
New collectors will exit in a different spot.

If the current pipes do not have a crossover (H or X style) between the headers and mufflers, I would strongly suggest having one installed.

Pete - MotoArts Decals and Signs
'71 Sportsroof 351C-4V/4-speed - FINALLY under construction - no, wait, on hold again...
'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop, rolling beater
'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA, survivor
I stuffed a pair of Hooker ceramic-coated Competition Long-Tube headers into mine without any hassle whatsoever. Might want to look into those, if you're worried about fitting something in without hassle.

Of course, you didn't mention what engine/tranny you have, either. Mine is a 351C-2V with an AOD conversion.

Eric

[Image: mach1sig2.gif]
No H Pipe on the Car, the current exhaust with collectors has enough play that I am hoping will allow it to just bolt up to another even though pipes may move in or out. Literally dual exhaust straight to the back. Exhaust had enough play in it where I just moved the pipes inward and ziptied them to the cross member to hold them in place for now.

Engine is a 302 with what I am guessing is the big bell housing because it is an original 302 car.
I put a set of tri y headers on a 71, 302, manual about 15 years ago. They were the closest I could find then for the small block with a manual. Even so, I had to modify (read dent) in order to clear the bell crank. Good luck, I do like your choice.

[Image: 1673if.png]
50 F1
73 Mach 1
86 F150
96 F150
2014 F150
Always looking
jb73Mach;120284 Wrote:I put a set of tri y headers on a 71, 302, manual about 15 years ago. They were the closest I could find then for the small block with a manual. Even so, I had to modify (read dent) in order to clear the bell crank. Good luck, I do like your choice.

You wouldn't happen to remember the brand would you. I was looking a the Scott Drake Tri-Y's. Biggest issue I am seeing right now is the exhaust has 3" collectors welded on. I haven't seen a single Tri-Y that has 3" so they would have to be replaced. Still better then cutting up a brand new set of headers like the set that was on the car.
Be wary of "inexpensive" Tri-Y's.
I had a pair that I picked up along with some other parts in a package deal. They were EXTREMELY thin walled tubing and very lightweight. Brand was unknown.
I wouldn't have trusted them to last a year on my car.
Sold them to a vintage dirt modified racecar owner.

I have seen a few, such as Doug's Headers, that appear to be substantially built. Don't know if they cover your application though.
More money, but I'd imagine they'd be worth it.

Pete - MotoArts Decals and Signs
'71 Sportsroof 351C-4V/4-speed - FINALLY under construction - no, wait, on hold again...
'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop, rolling beater
'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA, survivor
I don't recall the brand but they came from Santa Clara Mustangs. I have no idea if the business even still exists - it was back in the '80s and a quick google search did not turn up that name. I don't recall the collector size either but the tubes were not thin (took some omph to clear the bell crank)

[Image: 1673if.png]
50 F1
73 Mach 1
86 F150
96 F150
2014 F150
Always looking
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Install Engine, Transmission, and Headers VasiliBrown 15 594 07-28-2018, 05:57 PM
Last Post: VasiliBrown
  302 headers with manual trans Daves73 12 313 07-11-2018, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Don C
  Can FMX be removed from car without dismounting exhaust? Spechti 4 411 05-11-2018, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Spechti
  Headers for Circle Track Race Car w/ 351C 2v jdwest711 19 911 04-30-2018, 08:14 PM
Last Post: 427heaven
  Long Tube Headers rotorr22 18 1,162 02-21-2018, 05:15 PM
Last Post: tony-muscle
  Headers for 351W? vikingsandpintos 3 568 11-22-2017, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Mikes73
  FPA headers on a '73 fastback help!! BrandonDindorf 3 737 06-03-2017, 01:23 PM
Last Post: 73pony
  351c 2v headers toastintx 14 1,649 04-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Last Post: mustang7173