• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stalling at stop light
Ladies and Gentleman, I have an issue that I would like some help on.

I can start my 351W with ease, and it will idle and run with the best of them.

When I am cruising down the street and push the throttle farther than I should, it runs great.

But when I come to a stop light , if I don't pull up to the stop lights correctly, ( down shift, give the motor time to settle down and get into a good idle) the motor will want to die.

I took it out last Saturday(for example), let it warm up for about two minutes, drove down my street( 1/4 mile maybe), took a right and drove about 1/2 mile to the major(6 lane) thorough fair, and stepped on it pretty good, up to maybe 50 mph. I got about 1 mile down the road and came to a stop light. Shifted into neutral and coasted to a stop. Motor died and I couldn't get it restarted and had to push it off into a nearby business driveway.

This has happened before before and I have been able to get it restarted with out too much trouble. On Saturday I drained the battery trying to restart and I called my neighbor to come a give me a jump. Once I opened the hood I noticed the fuel filter to be almost empty(I have the clear plastic one) and what fuel that was in there was bubbling. Not in a boiling way, more like a gulping air way. (if that makes sense) After approximately 15 min, the filter filled and a jump from the neighbor, I was able to restart the motor.

I have changed the fuel pump, filter, fuel lines( rubber and steel) and sending unit, from the gas tank all the way to the carburetor.

After all this explanation, I am at a loss as to what the problem is.
I hope one of you fine people can help with this. I can not think of anything else to check, replace, adjust to help.

Thanks for you time. Jeff
if I hadn't read the whole post, I would've said... carby. As a quick test, increase the idle screw about 150 rpm and try to replicate the issue. This test will only confirm that the issue may be carby related, not neccesarily idle adjustment related. Could be mixture, vacc leak, etc.

[Image: Image3.png]
Jim
spray some carb cleaner around the base of the carb, if the RPMs change as you spray, its a Vac leak.

I had the same issue, and it ended up being the alumium spacer block under the carb, I had it stoned to level it, and the problem went away.

[Image: 2zem9nk.jpg]
Iyman
1972 Mustang convertible run_horse  
Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page

Yep, sounds like a vacuum leak, might be fine when its cold but expansion or heat could cause something to loose seal. Are your fuel lines away from high temp areas? Might be vapor locking if your fuel is bubbling and not flowing.
Do you have a vacuum gauge?
Could also be a venting issue with the gas tank.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.
Gents, my apologies for the long time since asking the question. But I finally got to work on it. Saturday I pulled the tank and checked the vent tube on top of the tank and it looks fine.

I then sprayed the base of the carb and the rpms did drop. So I purchased a new base gasket and that helped but it is still not perfect.

While I test drove it I noticed if I drove real conservative it was fine , for the most part. But when I got on it, it would wants to stall.

I got home a let it idle in the garage and after a few minutes , I noticed the fuel level in the filter had dropped. Instead of full, it showed about, maybe less than half of the filter. It started to stumble and slowly died.

So thanks for getting me this far.

Jeff
That sounds like a fuel pump
You had me at vacuum leak. I've had a leak in just about every possible place and I'm a newbie compared to some of the Pros here. Glad to see you worked through that.

I'm with Tommy on the latest issue...Try doing the same with the fuel cap off or open to make sure it's not a venting problem.

Is it the original engine? Did you remove the emissions canister and plug the vent or anything? I've lived that pain.

-KR

-Former 70 & 72 Mustang Owner.
-69 Torino GT, Formal Roof, 351W, Edelbrock 600 cfm, Edelbrock 351W Performer RPM intake, headers, AOD trans, dual flowmasters w/H pipe, Pertronix II Billet, 3.5 TRACLOC g/r, 15" Magnum 500s, 100A alt, aluminum radiator, electric fan, Pro-car seats, mini-starter...owned since Dec 13.
-70 Mach 1, 351W, Edelbrock E-Street EFI, VHX instrument cluster, Hooker headers, dual flowmasters, Pertronix II, 15" Magnum 500s, 150A alt, aluminum radiator, dual electric fans, Pro-car seats, mini-starter
Rear bowl floats are set too low.
Share Thread:  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Under the hood light Pegleg 3 184 06-25-2018, 07:12 AM
Last Post: rackerm
  Under Hood Light, Convenience Group andy72 12 686 05-12-2018, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Raven
  Do I have a parking brake light?? scgamecock 1 486 01-02-2018, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Hemikiller
  Light sockets Helicopter 18 1,357 12-15-2017, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Stanglover